ACID 6 - Just Curious

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
huffcw

ACID 6 - Just Curious

Post by huffcw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Just curious if anyone has checked out ACID 6 - and what your opinion is (as far as a comparison to Live). From first glance, it looks very interesting as far as workflow goes. I also wondering about performance. I may have to try a demo.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:39 pm

I tried it at a friend who's an acid user.

Can't route softsynth tracks to buss tracks, only to audio tracks.

Can't mix softsynth tracks and audio tracks to a buss track.

Can't route softsynth tracks to sends, only audio, so all softsynth tracks has to have dedicated effects, want reverb and echo on all of your softsynt tracks? then you need to stick a reverb and echo on each track.

Can't do this, can't do that, can't can't can't was what I found when I tried to duplicate my Live workflow in acid 6.0.

It does have cool stuff like folder tracks, but the whole routing issue makes it pretty much useless for me.

Not impressed.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:47 pm

One thing that caught my eye is the MIDI editing appears to be very good in ACID - and area I think needs to be improved in Live. I would like to see the same kind of features and control in the next version of Live. The piano roll view in particular needs help!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:53 pm

haven't tried it but I like the idea of "editing in place" so you can tweak a few tracks at once.

Cubase has this also. I bet Live won't take it up because they like the idea of editing in that bottom panel but IMO edit in place while keeping the instrument and effects at the bottom would be great as an option

blastique

Post by blastique » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 pm

ILTK wrote:Can't route softsynth tracks to buss tracks, only to audio tracks.
Click insert buss, then click the little square next to the synthFx button (the green plug button), select the buss letter you would like it to go to and the signal will go to that buss. Works with multiple synths to. This incidentally addresses your problem of
Can't route softsynth tracks to sends, only audio, so all softsynth tracks has to have dedicated effects, want reverb and echo on all of your softsynt tracks? then you need to stick a reverb and echo on each track.
and
Can't mix softsynth tracks and audio tracks to a buss track.
I think the problem you're finding here is that you're trying to route the synth tracks and the audio tracks (that run horizontally) direct from the horizontal track panes themselves. Audio tracks can be routed direct from the horizontal pane. You must realize however that Midi "tracks" don't contain audio "data" as would an audio "track". It is passing on midi notes to the softsynth "unit"" on the mixer pane. Since the softsynth unit is the one generating the sounds, it makes perfect sense that you route the UNIT itself to the bus, instead of simply routing the midi "information" tracks to the buss.

Hope this helps.

Personally, I AM impressed :) The sheer ease of crossfading events on the same track ala vegas in itself is a Godsend. :)
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:36 am

Yeah I'm perfectly aware that midi notes are not audio, it's just that I don't see why audio from a normal audio track and a softsynth synth connected to a midi track should work differently in the way you route them if the program can see that a softsynth is connected, it's just inconsistent, Live has this down perfectly.

Same thing when I added a send with an effect on, I got a fader to turn up the signal to the send, but only for the audio tracks, inconsistant again, that's what confused me.

No biggie as long as it's all possible though.

I'll have a go at it next time I'm over there, I like the acid interface for straight up arranging, I been checking it out at it each new version to see if it had gotten the features I wanted, v6.0 was pretty close with the new midi features.

ilia

Re: ACID 6 - Just Curious

Post by ilia » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 am

huffcw wrote:Just curious if anyone has checked out ACID 6 - and what your opinion is (as far as a comparison to Live). From first glance, it looks very interesting as far as workflow goes. I also wondering about performance. I may have to try a demo.
Just try it, they have a month-long functional demo.
I like audio editing in Acid 6 a whole lot, yes, it's superior to Live's arrange in many respects (speed, fades, multiple takes, real-time reverse, arrange sections, folder tracks, keyboard and screen ergonomics...). The softsynth implementation is still a bit awkward to my taste, but maybe I have to get used to it. Of course, no performance-oriented features, like in Live, so it's not going to replace it... but it's becoming pretty indispensable.