audio dropouts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
damnedLoginHumbug

audio dropouts

Post by damnedLoginHumbug » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:31 am

anybody have this problem where when you playback clips in live you get an audio dropout for a second or two? the sound just goes dead while the track bar keeps going then a moment later the sound comes on again. if you know how to fix pls. reply. Thanks.

stew

Post by stew » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:23 pm

What system are you using? It happens on my iBook in OS X, which is one of the reasons why I boot into OS 9 for audio work.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:02 pm

so you install the OS9 version and run it in classic? woe!
what are the main advantages?

stew

Post by stew » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:26 pm

I don't run it in Classic. I boot OS 9, and it makes a huge difference for me in CPU usage (speaking of Live 1.5.3, differencees may not be as drastic with Live 2). I can use a lot more effects simultaneously in OS 9 than in OS X on my 800 MHz iBook.

janklug

audio dropouts

Post by janklug » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:36 am

yeah, same dropouts here; that's one of the reasons that i visit this forum almost everyday in hope of announcement of bugfixed version..
using powerbook 867, osx.2.6., live 2.0.3
guess it's osX specific..

greetings,

jan

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:52 am

Same problem here guys.

Pb 667
latest Live

Internal sound card.

Ableton, please fix ASAP...some of us have gigs!!!

-SongCarver

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:40 pm

get a pc :D :lol: :wink:

janklug

Post by janklug » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:59 pm

:roll:

even if Live was sold for a c64, in that case it should work on that machine!
(can we expect c-64-support for live 3? maybe thru a "virtual-pc"-emulator?)
:wink:

mrgreengenes

re: dropouts

Post by mrgreengenes » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:get a pc :D :lol: :wink:
BZZZZT. Nope. I'm running Live 2 on an HP laptop, 1.5G, 768MB of RAM, WinXP, through an M-Audio Quattro USB, and occasionally have a similar problem. It doesn't appear to be *audio*-related (as in unpredicatable clicks and pops associated with lower-end audio interfaces), but rather *software*-related:

What happens is, after recording a clip, while playing it back, it will drop out every few cycles for one full cycle, then come back, as if nothing had happened. The position indicator continues to move along the waveform graphic as usual, and the waveform graphic appears unchanged, but the sound just disappears for one cycle.

Anyone else seen this?

cheers,
mgg

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:13 pm

Me too: Sony Vaio/XP/512 ram/RME multiface

I have seen the above explained problem...its erratic. Also, saame situation but rather than go dead, it hangs on a particular note and squelches through the bar only to snap back into realilty on the "1" again...erratic also.

Where are the ableton's when we need them?

jory

Post by jory » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:53 pm

Are you all using an external hard drive? Internal Laptop Disk speeds are usually too slow to relaibly serve up lots of audio. Adding more RAM and an external Firewire drive greatly reduced this problem for me. When the drop-outs happen does the little red "D" disk error light dome on next to the CPU meter. Do you get a CPU spike?

mrgreengenes

dropouts

Post by mrgreengenes » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:07 pm

thanks for the tip!

i have an external FW drive I can use -- will give this a try. I haven't noticed CPU spikes, but haven't been looking for the "D" warning -- will check to see if that's happening.

the only reason I'm skeptical that it's disk-related is that it seems to be limited to Reason clips recorded through rewire, and the "skips" seem kind of rhythmic (play three cycles, skip one, etc)

thanks again!
mgg

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:58 am

i posted this in another thread too but it seems you guys are having a similar problem.

cpu spikes up to +600% and a small dropout, maybe a second at longest, but they happen every minute or two. i'm using live 3/osx.2 on an ibook 700. this is definitely not the four or five second drops that the powerbook users are having. this is just usually a half a second of not just dropout, but actual delay. the audio will stop for a split second and ad a fraction of a beat. i seem to remember having cpu spike issue with my other ibook and my old tibook, though i don't think the audio skipped like this.

the process veiwer doesn't show anything consistant with the dropouts, though this may be because it can only sample once a second and these spikes don't last that long. there is some weird thing that may be associated with the spikes, but i can't be sure. it's some strange mix of symbols (including a little apple logo) that flashes up every now and again and the user is displayed as "????".

to (hopefully) rule out the hard drive possibility, it will still happen if i'm running just one clip from ram mode and no fx, and the cpu spikes still happen even if live isn't playing. i have a small suspicion that m-audio drivers may have something to do with this, but i haven't been able to make any real connection yet.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:08 pm

it's rewire. i seem to still get the spikes, but not over 100% and no audio dropouts when i have no rewired audio. i can still have a rewire slave running and producing audio, but if that audio makes it into live, then i get dropouts.

k

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:38 pm

no, wait, it just happens very infrequently without rewire.

i can't stand this. i just want to make music dammit, i'm getting a pc.

k