Autechre Max/Reaktor instruments/ensembles

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Those max tutorials rock..
I'm 9 days into my 30 day trail of the fully functional demo. I'll probably end up buying it. (or see what pd is all about ;) )

If you wonna learn it.. You probably can.
It's worth a shot to try though. Max kicks ass.

computo

Post by computo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Whoever found these, you the man.

I cant believe I missed those posts.

plain

Post by plain » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:46 pm

can anyone explain what these ensembles do?

i got the reaktor one working.....it plays by itself with random movements.... do they make tracks like this..just random generated data?

krikor

Post by krikor » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:07 pm

exper wrote:anyone notice that guy complaining that they stole his patch? he's basically upset cause they used his algorhythms in their music...

I'm a nuts for thinking thats retarded? I mean giving props to people for making patches and plugs you use is cool and all but getting upset cause someones algorhythm helped make your music is a little crazy.

"hey... thats my sine wave he used, I just know it!"

I agree, that's like Les Paul complaining that people use his guitars! I'm fairly certain that a Nord modular patch for processing beats that I sent to Michael Fakesch was used in the remix that Funkstorung did for Richard Devine, and if it is, that's great.
j
read attentively before writing.

Those patch are based on karlheinz Essle library.
anyone can use his library work for max, it is free.
and most of it those libraries are killers
all the random sequencing in autechre's patch is made with it.

those who can't buy max should turn to miller puckette's PD.

computo

Post by computo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:30 pm

Hey krikor,

hows about a link to those patchs?

and anyone seen the two patches from the sound on sound article?

Those are what I want.

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:00 am

computo wrote:Hey krikor,

hows about a link to those patchs?

and anyone seen the two patches from the sound on sound article?

Those are what I want.
there you go: http://www.essl.at/
that's the website of Karlheinz Essl
His work is great
I don't knwo about this sound on sound article...

computo

Post by computo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:07 am

Those are sweet...

Any one know where I can get M@ze 2?

The SoS article had the two pics that appear at the bottom of the Reverse Eng. page...

Those massive patches...

yogz

Post by yogz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 am

I'm 9 days into my 30 day trail of the fully functional demo. I'll probably end up buying it...
Max kicks ass.
yeah-yeah, max rocks! the ultimate soft
hope it will not make you too far from live forum :wink:
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 am

plain wrote:can anyone explain what these ensembles do?

i got the reaktor one working.....it plays by itself with random movements.... do they make tracks like this..just random generated data?
Seems like they've done that, but I don't know about what they did on the Untilted bec that seems straighter than some of their previous work in some respects.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:24 am

computo wrote:Whoever found these, you the man.

I cant believe I missed those posts.
You're welcome. I stumbled upon them thanks to someone at nofuture.com

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:00 am

krikor wrote: read attentively before writing.

karlheinz website wrote: Licence

The works provided here for download are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Austria License. You are free to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work under the following conditions:

Attribution: You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
No Derivative Works: You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
who to believe, the graffiti spraying musician who doesn't share his max patches - or the complete nerd composer who does.....

graffiti, the art of using other people's efforts as a canvas to make something beautiful. hip-hop, the art of using other people's efforts to make something beautiful. both art-forms are prominent in autechre's roots & origins, I'm inclined to believe the nerd is telling the truth
Last edited by b0unce on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:29 pm

b0unce wrote:
krikor wrote: read attentively before writing.

karlheinz website wrote: Licence

The works provided here for download are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Austria License. You are free to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work under the following conditions:

Attribution: You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
No Derivative Works: You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
who to believe, the graffiti spraying musician who doesn't share his max patches - or the complete nerd composer who does.....

graffiti, the art of using other people's efforts as a canvas to make something beautiful. hip-hop, the art of using other people's music to make something beautiful. both art-forms are prominent in autechre's roots & origins, I'm inclined to believe the nerd is telling the truth
yeah it's free to use for your own personnal work
Not for a commercial use into a program sold or something equivalent
And if you make a patch that you distribute you don't even have to write as the library already includes Essl name...

computo

Post by computo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:16 pm

what are you talking about bounce?

those basically say the same thing.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:40 pm

'those basicaly say the same thing' ?

I don't know what you mean, but what I meant was on the subject of the plagiarism claim by Dr Karlheinz, I'm inclined to believe him cos it seems to me he's sharing his work and making it transparent - which gives him credibility. I dont think sean booth has been posting any of his own efforts - correct me if I'm wrong ? as far as I know he just charges people to listen to his work...

of course this could lead to a discussion on generative algorhithms and if they are a major part of a piece, if the composer swapped some samples with his own etc .... well what I'm saying is not meant as a comment on that type of discussion, simply that going by each persons track record of involvement in the max community its the Dr who seems to be making his work available for people to use, learn & create

or maybe you were refering to the graffiti/hip hop thing ? well what I'm saying in that respect, and this is only an idea for the sake of discussion, is that artisticly speaking sean booth is in the habit of 're-inventing' stuff to make his art. the original autechre productions were mix tapes heavy with hip-hop style sampling of already existing music.

so baring all that in mind, and if that brief exchange was genuine, I'm thinking the doctor can recognise his own creation albeit with different samples - especially if a figure as large as autechre in the electronic music scene is using your generative algorhithms it would be nice to be credited for your work, its not exactly child's play after all

computo

Post by computo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:57 pm

b0unce wrote:'those basicaly say the same thing' ?

I don't know what you mean, but what I meant was on the subject of the plagiarism claim by Dr Karlheinz, I'm inclined to believe him cos it seems to me he's sharing his work and making it transparent - which gives him credibility. I dont think sean booth has been posting any of his own efforts - correct me if I'm wrong ? as far as I know he just charges people to listen to his work...

of course this could lead to a discussion on generative algorhithms and if they are a major part of a piece, if the composer swapped some samples with his own etc .... well what I'm saying is not meant as a comment on that type of discussion, simply that going by each persons track record of involvement in the max community its the Dr who seems to be making his work available for people to use, learn & create
again,
did you read the entire exchange, or just those two short posts?

Not only is the secrecy involved part of the marketting scheme for groups like that (Boards of Canada is FAR more militant about letting people see their stuff), but Sean Booth has no reason nor responsibilty to "SHARE" with this community. To suggest he does, or that his reluctance to do so has ANY bearing on whether he is honest or not, is simply asinine.

If you think that Autechre would simply cut and paste max patches, then you are a moron. These guys have all been around as major parts of this community for YEARS, and know and work with each other often. whether KH shared his work or not, you are, as I warned of earlier in this topic, completely blowing this in a different direction than it was ever meant.

You are purely speculating about the situation, and on the topic of "plagerism" you're totally making things up.