ot: The best place for an electronic musician to live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
D K

ot: The best place for an electronic musician to live?

Post by D K » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:59 pm

hello all,
i live right outside washington, d.c. in the usa, and i have been working and performing for/in the local music scene here for 20+ years,
and i have to say without a doubt that the scene here sucks ass.... it's horrible.
people don't really go out to shows...they complain about a 5 dollar door fee but will pay 9 bucks for a crappy movie no problem.
i've been lucky enough to tour internationally quite a bit, so i have seen and experienced places where there is plenty going on, so i know i'm not just jaded.....only thng is, touring in such a way, you get to experience great nights but it doesn't measure up to the reality of the day-to-day existence in a place.
so.......i'd like to move somewhere where there is alot of music and art and
great nightlife, with plenty of opportunity for performance.
please feel free to tell about where you live, it's ups and downs, and most importantly is it good for music? (meaning a live performer or artist, not a dj, as that is a different realm altogether).
thanks!
doug

Tranquil010

Post by Tranquil010 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:14 am

Yo,
Nice set at the Ottobar last night.

There are a lot of people who approach this diffretnly. Miami is totally hoppin for music. I know Sasha moved there from the UK. there are alot of clubs around that area and the Winter Music Conference and Ultra - one of the largest electronic parties around is stationed thre.

of course LA , but i've been there for music and there is a lot of competion for play time.

From first hand expierencer with Denver, that town rocks. Great clubs, beatiful people, awesume vibe.
Have you ever thought of over seas?

Ross
Powerbook 1.67 ghz running Live 5 ::: DP 1.8 G5 running Logic, Live 5, Reason and many plug ins.
MOTU interfaces, M-Audio Key's and Control Surfaces, Glyph HD's :: "Buy low, sell high" ::

D K

Post by D K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:25 am

hi ross!
yeah, i've spent alot of time in italy, i have friends there, so that is a possibility....
remember that note about performance vs. dj, miami is a real blast but it's a bit more dj oriented....plus i'll never live in fla. for many other reasons....
in the end i suppose i'm just looking for a place where people are still excited about music....overseas it will probably be.....

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:45 am

Tranquil010 wrote:From first hand expierencer with Denver, that town rocks. Great clubs, beatiful people, awesume vibe.
I could not agree less.
Denver is a sleepy redneck sports town.
Spent most of the 90s in college at Boulder, I'd go to Denver for my 'city fix' and was disappointed every time. There's clubs, angst, a music scene but it's a sleepy town.

My opinion, in the end it's better to like a city than not.

I'd think somewhere in Europe would be better, access to more countries and cultures.

missjade

Post by missjade » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 am

hey doug,

i don't live in san francisco (so if i'm wrong, all you locals can call me out on it...) but i've found it to have an awesome vibe every time i've been there.

i've been to a bunch of parties & shows in SF, and it's always got this open-minded, laidback, fun atmosphere. crowds seem genuinely into the music, and people don't get all crazy decked out to go to parties. they actually DANCE instead of trainspot the whole time. and it's not so dj oriented; there's definitely a live music scene as well.

plus, if you want art, you'll find some kickass museums there and a healthy artistic community in general.. a lot of restaurants/cafes i was at doubled as galleries selling local artists' work, which i thought was fantastic.

plus, it's beautiful & the people are friendly 8)

but like i said, i'm only infatuated with the city, so i may be an unreliable source. :?

i'm actually in a similar situation & am planning on moving somewhere inspiring as well. i'm between SF, buenos aires, and berlin :wink:

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:04 am

check www.craigslist.com for housing prices, the unfortunate thing is that artists can't afford to live in the bay area. It can be done but it's an issue. But yeah, I f-ing love this town, today was the first time I've left the city limits in months and that was just to go help a friend pick up his Nord Lead from a shop in Berkeley. There are tons of opportunities for DJing, laptops, vinyl, whatever. It should be easy to get a gig. It's actually hard for rock bands because there's just no place to park while you load up your gear. The people I know who are in bands end up playing in the east and north bay.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:05 am

I fuckin love Glasgow.

loads happening.
So many different nights going on with a healthy underground scene. I'm spoiled for choice most weekends with new nights springing up all over the city as well as the more established clubs booking amazing guests from all over the place.
me and a mate play live (our own material) in the last 18 months we have played about a dozen gigs of varying sizes. from small 100 capacity underground clubs to playing at a rave in a big tent beside a loch in the summer. we're booked to play in a warehouse about 10 miles outside glasgow next month. we've also managed to release a 12" on a glasgow label and will be releasing a 2nd ep on the same label soon.
some of the big clubs and most of the dodgy places on sauchiehall st are shit and filled with neds* they either play bangin techno or funky house. I hate those places.
Finding some of the better, less well known clubs would be hard for a visitor to find unless they knew someone from the city or stayed for a while. checked out local club forums etc.. but thats where its at.

Glasgow has gone under a lot of change recently, its all tables on the pavements and funky breads. They're trying to appeal to the tourists but at the end of the day Edinburgh has all the attractions and thats where all the tourists will go. but I.M.O there are far better things going on in glasgow.

*Ned

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:10 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
Tranquil010 wrote:From first hand expierencer with Denver, that town rocks. Great clubs, beatiful people, awesume vibe.
I could not agree less.
Denver is a sleepy redneck sports town.
Spent most of the 90s in college at Boulder, I'd go to Denver for my 'city fix' and was disappointed every time. There's clubs, angst, a music scene but it's a sleepy town.

My opinion, in the end it's better to like a city than not.

I'd think somewhere in Europe would be better, access to more countries and cultures.
I agree...I spent 2002-2003 in Denver, and the electronic scene isn't really that happening. It's VERY house-only, and it's fairly weak. I agree with DKF - find a town you like, then make the most of the music scene. Of course, your choice in towns should involve a town that has a music scene that's close to what you like to do.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:check www.craigslist.com for housing prices, the unfortunate thing is that artists can't afford to live in the bay area. It can be done but it's an issue. But yeah, I f-ing love this town, today was the first time I've left the city limits in months and that was just to go help a friend pick up his Nord Lead from a shop in Berkeley. There are tons of opportunities for DJing, laptops, vinyl, whatever. It should be easy to get a gig. It's actually hard for rock bands because there's just no place to park while you load up your gear. The people I know who are in bands end up playing in the east and north bay.
I also spent my undergrad years at Berkeley, and I would have to say that the area is so overpriced that it will take any joy of being an artist out of you because you'd worry about the rent all the time. If you can bring in a six figure income, then go to the bay area (no I'm not being unrealistic). Otherwise, some place like LA is a lot easier to live in from a cost of living perspective.

missjade

:D

Post by missjade » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:17 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:check www.craigslist.com for housing prices, the unfortunate thing is that artists can't afford to live in the bay area. It can be done but it's an issue. But yeah, I f-ing love this town, today was the first time I've left the city limits in months and that was just to go help a friend pick up his Nord Lead from a shop in Berkeley. There are tons of opportunities for DJing, laptops, vinyl, whatever. It should be easy to get a gig. It's actually hard for rock bands because there's just no place to park while you load up your gear. The people I know who are in bands end up playing in the east and north bay.
yeah, i'm sure it's hard to get by out there as an artist... but even though the rents are comparable to those in nyc, i feel that you get waaay more for your $ there as far as space & quality of the apartment.. and the access to amazing day trips is worth it in itself!! santa cruz...*sigh*

continuous

Post by continuous » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 am

I'll second S.F. and throw in a Portland.

Dig your stuff by the way.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 am

If you can make it in NYC, SF is a tiny hamlet in comparison. If you want Santa Cruz AND SF, check out the coast peninsula towns like Pacifica, Moss Bay, Montara, Half Moon Bay and the surrounding areas.

marky

Post by marky » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:26 am

martin808 wrote:I fuckin love Glasgow.
Yeah, Glasgow's got a lot going on these days, it's good to see.

Boston sucks donkey balls for electronic music. The electronic music that is here is mostly pretentious electro-acoustic experimental stuff .. no techno scene to speak of.

There are a few decent house nights but they don't get the numbers in.. too many people involved in too much crusty folk music. What the fuck ever happened to students that wanted to explore their inner mind and get wasted? This crowd all want to sit around in coffee shops talking about politics... Wasted youth, I tell thee...
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:51 am

continuous wrote:I'll second S.F. and throw in a Portland.

Dig your stuff by the way.
Agreed on Portland...what a city!!!

D K

Post by D K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:07 am

great responses so far, thanks all,
i will have to agree that sf is an amazing place, lots going on,
for a single hertero male it's been a great place(lots!!! of available women)
and great venues...great american music hall, fillmore, bimbos,and soo many more...
as far as cost of living, believe it or not apparently it's about the same as dc right now (for renting apartment dwellers)...i have a few friends who have moved there in the last few years.
denver and boulder are fun places, i played the blue bird last time,
but i believe there are some places with a bit more going on....
this isn't the first time i've heard glasgow is off the hook....