Yamaha DX200 vs. DX7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dbolt

Yamaha DX200 vs. DX7

Post by dbolt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:01 am

I have the chance to trade my DX7 for a DX200 Desktop Synth SEQ. 16 knobs to tweak the same DX7 Sound Engine. I think its a easy trade.

Any thoughts on this trade should I do it or should I keep the DX7 I mean I do like collecting old synths.

Any thoughts??

Dustin

FaX-01

Re: Yamaha DX200 vs. DX7

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:23 am

dbolt wrote:I have the chance to trade my DX7 for a DX200 Desktop Synth SEQ. 16 knobs to tweak the same DX7 Sound Engine. I think its a easy trade.

Any thoughts on this trade should I do it or should I keep the DX7 I mean I do like collecting old synths.

Any thoughts??

Dustin
The DX200 has effects built in is cross compatible with all DX-7 patches but also has resonant filters built in which opens up far more scope programming wise.
You also get a step sequencer and drum machine thrown into the package and a very good visual editor for your computer.
It is more or less than 'same' engine as a DX-7 but having a choice of resonant filters ie:high pass / low pass / band pass / band eliminate in 24 , 18 and 12 db per octave slopes makes a huge difference.
You also get a complement of tempo synced LFo's for Filter Modulation.
You get 4 Free EG's (envelope generators) which are loopable and tempo sycnable to control user defined parameters plus ADSR envelopes for Amplitude and Filter ( which the DX-7 doesn't have) + 16 types of noise oscillator (can't be used as a modulator but can dirty up the sound alot).
The editor itself is fairly comprehensive also.
IE -

"The supplied DX200 Editor is well designed and easy to use. It features three main screens (Voice, Free EG and Step Sequencer editors), subsidiary windows offering librarian functions, and a bonus DX7 edit screen for creating and auditioning voices with a graphic representation of that venerable synth (and loading DX7 patches). A large collection of sounds from Yamaha's PLG150DX board, from which the DX200 is derived, is also included. All front-panel parameters can be edited, plus many more. Here's a rundown of what's available only in software:

VOICE EDITOR

The biggest addition here is the complete set of FM parameters, as featured on the DX7, with all six operators fully configurable. Frequency, tracking mode, the four-stage envelope generator (with level and rate for each stage), level scaling and rate scaling are all editable. A pitch EG is also editable in software, and all EGs (including the filter EGs) can be edited graphically. Another window shows the current FM algorithm, with feedback control. There are more portamento and key mode controls (the Detune parameter in unison mode is particularly useful), and a random pitch parameter allows you to introduce a little, or a lot, of pitch variation, in unstable analogue synth fashion. In the editor, the VCF benefits from an input gain control and cutoff scaling (the filter EG also offers velocity sensitivity), and the Distortion effect becomes completely configurable, with a choice of 'amp' types, drive, low-pass filter frequency and output level. The LFO gains delay, mode and sync parameters. Completely missing from the DX200's hardware controls is a two-band EQ that can be edited by software: this offers low (32Hz-2kHz) and mid (100Hz-10kHz) bands, with +/-12dB gain, and a Q control for the mid band. Patterns can also be named for librarian purposes, though this name isn't visible on the DX200 itself, due to display limitations.

FREE EG EDITOR

No major additions here, just a helpfully large graphic representation of the parameter moves on an X-Y axis, plus the option to draw them manually and easily assign an EG plot to a DX200 parameter (see below). The four EGs are colour-coded, so it's easy to keep track of their plots. The editor also allows Free EG length to be set in seconds as well as bars.

STEP SEQUENCER EDITOR

The main benefit of this editor is that all steps and parameters for each track are visible in one window. It's in this window, also, that the track mix parameters are edited, as well as the effects. "

The unit can easily go into Warped Records / Autechre / Aphex style sound design territory quite easily also.

Personally unless you have a DX7IIFde with Grey Matter board I'd say the swap is a no brainer myself.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 am

yea thanks for all the info FaX-01....btw you have a very clean home studio I've seen pix. How did you ever find the balls to get the Moog Voyager I dunno I guess $$ huh or lots of hard work pays off. Yes your right its def a no brainer I guess I just needed an extra push to say good deal. Something I don't have though and thats the Software Editor. Is it possible to get it anywhere I went to Yams Site and didnt see it available. My buddy thats doing the swap has let me test the DX200 out and WOW its really nice to be able to tweak those DX7 sounds out. But side by side their is a difference in the sound of the DX7 and DX200 the DX7 has much bigger wider sound buts its prob just the settings. The DX200 hooks up well with my Electribes aswell MX1 and ER 1 mk11. As much as I love software their is nothing like hardware units. My next purchase is the Dave Smith Evolver Desktop Synth SEQ. I can't wait to hook up the DX200 next to that Board.

Do you have any tracks to check out FaX-01

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 am

dbolt wrote:yea thanks for all the info FaX-01....btw you have a very clean home studio I've seen pix. How did you ever find the balls to get the Moog Voyager I dunno I guess $$ huh or lots of hard work pays off. Yes your right its def a no brainer I guess I just needed an extra push to say good deal. Something I don't have though and thats the Software Editor. Is it possible to get it anywhere I went to Yams Site and didnt see it available. My buddy thats doing the swap has let me test the DX200 out and WOW its really nice to be able to tweak those DX7 sounds out. But side by side their is a difference in the sound of the DX7 and DX200 the DX7 has much bigger wider sound buts its prob just the settings. The DX200 hooks up well with my Electribes aswell MX1 and ER 1 mk11. As much as I love software their is nothing like hardware units. My next purchase is the Dave Smith Evolver Desktop Synth SEQ. I can't wait to hook up the DX200 next to that Board.

That definately wasn't my home studio :? .
I most definately do NOT own a Moog Voyager and couldn't afford one.
Infact I have no hardware bar an EII+ HD anymore.
I think you're confusing me with someone else.
The only photo's of a studio I ever had online date back some 4.5 years ago and they included 2*SP808Ex's , 1*Rs7000 , 1*DX7IIFDe , 1*ElectrixFilterFactory , 1*WaldorfMicroQ , 1*Redsound EleVayta , 1*Matrix6 and 3 electribes ie: ER1 / EA1 / ES1 and 1*EmaxSeRack + 1*EPS16+Rack.
All of that was sold to consolidate debts and fund a portable studio when my health went to hell in a basket and I couldn't work anymore.
I am way to broke to be able to afford anything of that nature :(.
If I was to get hardware again it would be very simple .
If I had the money I'd go MPC2500 , Nord G2 (3 octave) , Monomachine , Machine Drum and an Evolver.
Doubt I'll ever be financial enough again though :cry: .
My laptop and software more than covers my needs thankfully as I will not be updating my system anytime soon.
You must be psychic though as I do have a VERY clean studio space and hate clutter.
Music + Website will be up this year BTW.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:08 am

dbolt wrote:yea thanks for all the info FaX-01....btw you have a very clean home studio I've seen pix. How did you ever find the balls to get the Moog Voyager I dunno I guess $$ huh or lots of hard work pays off. Yes your right its def a no brainer I guess I just needed an extra push to say good deal. Something I don't have though and thats the Software Editor. Is it possible to get it anywhere I went to Yams Site and didnt see it available. My buddy thats doing the swap has let me test the DX200 out and WOW its really nice to be able to tweak those DX7 sounds out. But side by side their is a difference in the sound of the DX7 and DX200 the DX7 has much bigger wider sound buts its prob just the settings. The DX200 hooks up well with my Electribes aswell MX1 and ER 1 mk11. As much as I love software their is nothing like hardware units. My next purchase is the Dave Smith Evolver Desktop Synth SEQ. I can't wait to hook up the DX200 next to that Board.

the dave smith evolver is sweeet man, you really get the feeling that your money is being spent in the right areas, ie the sound. the matrix interface must surely have saved them a few bucks

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:19 am

THX to another forum memeber here I found out about this place http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... d-384.html

If you can swing $599 a month for 5 months you got yourself a Mini Moog.

Thanx again to whoever it was that mentioned this online store. I'm not getting a Mini, but I am getting all of the MoogerFoogers. Too bad they don't have the CP-251 though.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:24 am

you should pick up the moogerfooger delay unit sooner then the rest, there's a limited supply for some reason

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:32 am

b0unce wrote:you should pick up the moogerfooger delay unit sooner then the rest, there's a limited supply for some reason
Already taken care of. Its pretty F'n sweet. Mine is serial #96. I think they are making 300 of them, not shure though.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:46 am

oohh, looks like I bought in time, mine's 0285

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Sorry FaX-01 I was confused I saw where you quoted kramerica with this pix .

I posted several links about AmericanMusicalSupply.com thats where I spent about 8G's in 2005. My first purchase was a Powerbook G4 and Ableton Live V4 and M-Audio 410 which I sold for a Tascam FW1804.

I didn't realize that about the MoogerFooger Delay I have the LOW PASS Filter and its amazing I hook it to my JUNO 6 to give it a third Filter. But man the Delay is expensive you can almost get yourself a Littly Phatty not really but close. Yea I just wish AmericanMusical sold Dave Smith Instruments.

LAter Dustin

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:47 pm

What about AN1x or the desktop version. Anyone using them ?
I am thinking of getting either X station ( I love these SL keys) or AN1x but never tried that one, no idea how the keys are. I dropped the idea of TI Virus, since everyone and his dog, cat and papagai uses it and it is overpriced, hate Clavias cheap ass keys and am not ready to pay 2 grands for great instrument with the most ridiculous name ever -"little fatty" that is.
So Novation or AN1x I heard the Yamaha is a dangerous beast

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:56 pm

hows about a nord lead rack, plus a decent midi keyboard. sex.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:00 pm

b0unce wrote:hows about a nord lead rack, plus a decent midi keyboard. sex.
It is good solution but I am curious to try something new, with sounds that i dont know, that inspire me, may end up with Clavia.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:38 pm

besides the sound that will come out of it 'staticly' ...you can go crazy with envelopes controlling insane amounts of parameters simultaniously,...combined with a program like max the nord lead can be re-invented and you can devise you own step sequencers or instruments etc that trigger envelopes each time a note is played...

tonnes of potential with the nord lead in this way

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:17 am

It would be really nice if novamusik.com had a payment plan like americanmusical. They would sell soooo much more. Elektron, Vermona, Sherman, Dave Smith, Jomox, etc...............

Yes the Moogerfooger delay is really expensive. But so are tape delay machines, which cost even more. The only other bucket brigade chip delay with a full second of delay time available is the Tone Czar(sp?). It is cheaper than the moog delay but not much and there is a waiting list for it.