Your top 5 albums of the last 5 years

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 pm

I'll just say The Streets - Original Pirate Material. It's basically 'British hiphop' - very British.

I remember reading about it and how he was rapping in British (London dialect, even though he's from Birmingham), but I just wasn't prepared. It felt to me like Never Mind The Bollocks must've felt to hard rockers in '76. The beats were recognisably garage but it was just so raw, so unpolished, so incredibly naive... When his voice came in on the first track I was floored. In a world of gangster r'n'b, americanised bollocks, bling bling crap, but this guy had never read any of those rulebooks. Well, maybe he had (he's a huge Wu Tang fan, apparently), but he didn't care about them, he was a regular bloke and he had made an album that sounded like the world he was in. I remember thinking 'Can he do that? He can't do that!' cos it sounded like absolutely nothing I had heard before. That first listen was an eye opener. and I remember it distinctly, I was on the bus on my way to band practise. I sang in a metal band at the time and it spelled the beginning of the end for that cos it completely changed the way I thought about music. It was just so new and unique it was impossible for me not to be touched by it and in some way take cues from it.

I can't really recommend it enough.
-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:46 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I'll just say The Streets - Original Pirate Material. It's basically 'British hiphop' - very British.

I remember reading about it and how he was rapping in British (London dialect, even though he's from Birmingham), but I just wasn't prepared. It felt to me like Never Mind The Bollocks must've felt to hard rockers in '76. The beats were recognisably garage but it was just so raw, so unpolished, so incredibly naive... When his voice came in on the first track I was floored. In a world of gangster r'n'b, americanised bollocks, bling bling crap, but this guy had never read any of those rulebooks. Well, maybe he had (he's a huge Wu Tang fan, apparently), but he didn't care about them, he was a regular bloke and he had made an album that sounded like the world he was in. I remember thinking 'Can he do that? He can't do that!' cos it sounded like absolutely nothing I had heard before. That first listen was an eye opener. and I remember it distinctly, I was on the bus on my way to band practise. I sang in a metal band at the time and it spelled the beginning of the end for that cos it completely changed the way I thought about music. It was just so new and unique it was impossible for me not to be touched by it and in some way take cues from it.

-Paws
Yeah, I have to agree. This is a great record that I haven't listened to in a while. (I can't wait to get home from work and throw it on now)...

As far as the Sex Pistols reference, I get what you mean and I have heard that elsewhere. Some of my favorite records are made by mistake , and I belive Original Pirate Material was one of them. There is no way to follow a blueprint and come up with that result. A lot of my favorite records were created that way. I honestly belive that. Although totally unrelated, Luomo's (Vladislav Delay) Present Lover is a classic example. Vladislav Delay records are wonderful in there own catastrophic way but on the Luomo record he just created a House Masterpeice that sounds like nothing I have ever heard. I mean I'm sure he used his Powerbook, lot's of the same plug in effects everyone else uses, probably used Live, I dunno. My guess is high quality microphones. The way the vocals jump off of the record...

Anyways, yeah the Streets "Original Pirate Material" is something else too. I guess he has put out a couple other records. I've never heard them and probably won't bother. The first record is perfect and that's enough. No disrespecting him but I just can easily imagine those records having the potential to be real bad...

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:49 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I'll just say The Streets - Original Pirate Material. It's basically 'British hiphop' - very British.

-Paws
Agreed. Skinners early stuff (unreleased) was done in an American, pseudo Eminem style. It didn't work. Skinner found his voice and the rest is history. I think lyrically, its on par with anything ever produced. Its good to hear honest hiphop music after the beating that American bling and low-brow dirty south has assaulted onto hiphop (or what it once was)... not that I don't enjoy a bit of Busta, Mike Jones and a a dose of crunk juice every once in a while. Folks will point to Jay-Z or Tupac, but I don't feel them.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:55 pm

thelike5 wrote:Anyways, yeah the Streets "Original Pirate Material" is something else too. I guess he has put out a couple other records. I've never heard them and probably won't bother. The first record is perfect and that's enough. No disrespecting him but I just can easily imagine those records having the potential to be real bad...
Actually, Skinner does it well on "A Grand Don't Come For Free". Definitely worth checking out... not the same template as Pirate Material. Different and just as amazing. Of the 2, Pirate Material is my Fave, Grand is a CLOSE second.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 pm

YIZZURP!!!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:00 am

The kruder & dorfmeister is the ONLY album I've purchased recently...hence my starting the thread.
That is so strange. I searched the archives, looking for new music ideas after just getting the K+D sessions today. I thought this thread must be years old.

It's days old.

Strange days.

I like the Supreme Beings of Leisure once in a while; a lot of the other stuff which is fairly new to me is actually pretty old (Thievery Corp "Sounds"); I also play Propellerheads "decks and drums" fairly regularly.

e.

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 am

In the age of the download its just impssible to cut it down to 5 albums - and the concept of the album is surely a bt ridiculous also, but anyway....

Sufjan Stevens Illinois
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season
Bonnie Prince Billy - I See a Darkness
Cat Power - The Greatest
Damian Rice - O
Daniel Lanois - Belladonna
Elliot Smith - Figure 8 (well its older maybe but I got is a few years ago)
Emilliana Torrini - Fishermans Woman
KAte bush - Ariel
Kate Rusby - pretty much anything by her
M.I.A. - Arular
Ethipiques No 4 - the Mulatu Astaqe one
Pardesi - Pump up the Bhangra (very old, but great)
Petri Kuljuntausta - Momentum (find that one if you can ;-)
Randall - Eight stories (picked it up on iTunes on a random listen!)
Rufus Wainwright - Want One & Two
Riukupastori! - Rakastan sinua mörökölli (another challenge for you there)
t.a.t.u. (! - gotta love 'em!)
Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering

meep_audio

Post by meep_audio » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:41 am

Smoke and Fire - Neulander
Double Figure - Plaid
Black Cherry - Goldfrapp
Original Pirate material - The Streets
Far away Trains Passing - Ulrich Schnauss

others i could mention are

Fishermans Woman - Emilianna Torrini
Witching Hour - Ladytron
Kicking the National Habit - Grand National
Alphabetical - Pheonix
Tough Guys Don't Dance - Soul Savers
Bells of 1-2 - Sol Seppy

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:35 pm

Too many to mention really, but the following were the first things to come into my head:

Luomo - Vocalcity

Closer Musik - After Love

Carl Craig - The Album Formerly Know As... (This is possibly cheating)

Ricardo Villalobos - The Au Harem D'Archimede

Ada - Blondie
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:58 pm

jngpng wrote:Too many to mention really, but the following were the first things to come into my head:

Luomo - Vocalcity

Closer Musik - After Love

Carl Craig - The Album Formerly Know As... (This is possibly cheating)

Ricardo Villalobos - The Au Harem D'Archimede

Ada - Blondie
Yeah, Vocalcity is nice... have you heard The Present Lover? Thoughts?

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Yeah, Vocalcity is nice... have you heard The Present Lover? Thoughts?
I liked The Present Lover a lot, but Vocalcity will always be my favourite. It's such a wonderfully warm and organic record. I think The Present Lover lost a bit of that magic by being more clean and precise. I'm a total sucker for the original version of Tessio too.
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:08 am

the postal service-give up
neko case-blacklisted
four tet-rounds
radiohead-hail to the thief
garden state-original motion picture soundtrack

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:58 am

I already named my six, but have to add, and can't believe I forgot:

WAGON CHRIST: MUSIPAL !!!!!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

continuous

Post by continuous » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:59 am

Favorites...hhmmm...it is always moving and changing but here's some I like.

RADIOHEAD - KID A

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Q and Not U - Different Damage

Tortoise - It's All Around You

Talkdemonic - Mutiny Sunshine

(sneak ins.. all Elliot Smith's stuff and Wire Pink Flag/Chairs Missing... oh ya Icu - Chotto Matte a Moment!...)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:35 am

1. The balloon monkeys - fresh ironed shirts

2. f.y.m.c.r.s. - I'm nausiated

3. Drugs for deadpeople - godlovesme.com

4. caffinated horse - who, me?

5. The System preferences - repair my permissions