Behringer BCD2000 - Great Controller for DJing with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KRZ_ONE

Behringer BCD2000 - Great Controller for DJing with Live

Post by KRZ_ONE » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:51 pm

My Behringer BCD2000 arrived this morning, and i must say its great for DJing with Live!

I have assigned the faders and eq etc to 2 tracks and got additional track volumes running from the 4 fx knobs.... using the pitch faders to send to flange and delay which works really well indeedy!

Not found a use for the jog wheels yet.

All in all i would recommend this unit for djing with live, aint found a problem with it at all.

Dead cheap too!

be sure to checkout my tracks http://krz.no-ip.org

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Nice. Seeing the product's info, I found the digital scratching and cueing options the greatest thing about it. It means we don't have to buy 1k CDJs anymore :o
But what about the rest of it? You're in the need of another controller, or just the BCD will do all assigning on Live(triggering, FX, Synths, etc)? Maybe not so many buttons... How do you compare the BCD and the BCR or BCF?
the only thing that's not logical for me is the built in AD interface... Most of us already have a pro soundcard. They should spare space for more knobs...
Tell us more about it. I'm trying to figure out what controllers to buy (thinking about a BCR2000 and a MPD 16 for triggering and drum programming)
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

al3x

Post by al3x » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:45 pm

Are you using it with a Mac or a Windows machine? Is every knob/button/whatever assignable in Live? How does the audio interface on it sound? Build quality?

Sorry for all the q's, just curious about this beast ;)

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 pm

How's the latency? Can you use it to scratch beats in Live?

rishi

Post by rishi » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:09 am

I’ve been experimenting with different DJ set ups lately, to see how I can best utilise what the digital revolution has to offer.

Recently, I purchased a Behringer BCD2000 to midi control Serato and Ableton. Not the standard use for the product but I think it works fantastically, without latency issues and it's heaps easier to configure for midi than my Ozonic keyboard

I use the BCD2000 to trigger loops and samples in Ableton as well as midi control Serato. The result is that with a mixer, laptop and BCD2000 I can dj with Serato and add anything I want (loops and samples) over the top with Ableton, including a mic heavily ladened with effects to make vocoder and swooshing noises. Lots of fun, let me tell you!!!

So for the record - the BCD2000 – My thoughts on a cheap as chips midi controller with dj software package

HARDWARE
FADERS: Smooth, light and responsive
PITCH ADJUST: Weighted to replicate turntable style which was a nice surprise
KNOBS: Functional but lacking clear indicator of where they are pointing to
BUTTONS: A little plasticey but fine and functional. Not as smooth as buttons on my DJM600
INPUTS: Lacking rear phono/line channel for Channel A. BIG MISTAKE. This means you can plug two turntables in but not two CDJ’s

SOFTWARE:
ADDING SONGS: Very quick. I added 883 songs in a few minutes with one click
LOADING SONGS: Also very quick for waveform to display
SCROLLING: Using jog wheel was effective. Some apparent slippage at points
CUE: Simple, intuitive and easy
PITCH ADJUST: Hard to make fine tune movements
PITCH BEND: Needs some getting used to. Fortunately jog wheel % movement is adjustable
MIXING: Found this difficult. Maybe some time to and adjust get feel will make this easier
EQ’s: TERRIBLE!!! Mid range controls too much of the frequency range and is way too sensitive.
LOOPING: This works well, but beat mixing your loops with another track was difficult
FX: Only used the filter thus far and was effective. It’s possible to load other external FX
STABILITY: Ran fine on my DELL 9300 with 100gb HD and 1gb RAM

MIDI:
This is what I bought it for, and like the BCF and the BCR it works well. Assigning midi learn functions in Ableton as well as Bome’s MT was easy. Using the same buttons to control pitch bend and pitch adjust in Serato was infinitely more easy to keep a mix in time that using the BDJ software. I use the jog wheel to scroll through my crates in Serato. The knobs are assigned to ableton to control channel volume and delay wetness and feedback. The buttons trigger play samples and scroll through scenes.

SUMMARY:
I’ll be using the BCD to midi control Serato and Ableton. For this I think it’s a great midi-controller. Lots of knobs for different things. The BDJ software is toy-like and maybe a great place to start if you have a laptop.

For the price it’s a great gadget with many and varied uses. I’ll be getting my value for money for sure!

Link to a mix i did with Serato, Ableton, a DJM600 and the BCD2000 as a midi controller:
http://waxdj.com/djs/2422/

Coenie

Post by Coenie » Wed May 03, 2006 12:47 am

I ordered mine last night!!!

Anyone else got one and have some thoughts/comments ?

DJFER

Post by DJFER » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:12 pm

Question:
How to setup the BCD2000 in Ableton Live 5.2?

I've set it up in Traktor3 with the Bome's MIDI Translator and MIDI-Yoke, and works fine (except the Sync-button).

In Ableton Live, you've got a "learn-midi-mode", but it doesn't seem to work.

Anyone?!

Grtz.

claudek

Post by claudek » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:49 pm

How did you set up with Sertato using midi control? I thought Serato did not have midi control setup but only key commands?
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

gezabelle

Post by gezabelle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:24 pm

will it work with mac? and will the i/o interface work with mac?