Evolution UC-33: The Best Live Controller Ever

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Hulk

Evolution UC-33: The Best Live Controller Ever

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:30 pm

Just letting you guys know I just purchased and set up the Evolution UC-33. This thing integrates seemlessly with Live. It gives you full mixing control if you're using 8 tracks. I was able to attach faders (which feel like real faders!!) Pan, and 2 send effects to each track. If you need more than 8 tracks you can just hook up another one (It's USB!!) Then to fire off samples I just used the keyboard on my laptop. Essentially you can be completely mouse free during a performance. (Plus I used my Edirol PCR-30 to control Reason through Rewire) So we're talking completely live performance! The hardware has gotten good!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:09 pm

yo hulk!

where did you purchase your controller? i've been looking for one of these things LIKE FOREVER. every site on the internet seems to be out of stizzzzock.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:22 pm

if you wait a little ... we are working on something together with evolution and this controller....

:wink:
michael
ableton

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:27 pm

ARGH! Michael! Don't do that!

What is it? What is it? What is it? What is it?

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:34 pm

Hey noisetonepause
I got mine at AudioMidi.com but I pre-ordered it cause I just knew it was gonna rock. I wonder what Michael's got up his sleeve! Some sort of package deal with the release of Ableton 2.5 sounds like it would be a good idea :x

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:43 pm

Michael wrote:if you wait a little ... we are working on something together with evolution and this controller....

right bak at ya!

mmmm, an evolution controller made for live...sounds like some good home cooking to me. :lol:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:48 pm

The Hulk wrote:Hey noisetonepause
I got mine at AudioMidi.com but I pre-ordered it cause I just knew it was gonna rock. I wonder what Michael's got up his sleeve! Some sort of package deal with the release of Ableton 2.5 sounds like it would be a good idea :x
Unless you already own Live, that is!

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:52 pm

it will be a bundle with the controller and a special green overlay...more infos soon.
michael
ableton

jamm

The best ?

Post by jamm » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:00 pm

It is a great controller. What i like are the nice long faders,
they are the best. But no mute or solo buttons, no endless knobs, no x/y controller and no keys like the Remote 25. You really need a second unit
like your pcr-30 to benefit all the possibilities of Ableton.
But hey, two controllers also looks cool!
Greetinz..

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:03 pm

Hey Michael, will I be able to get the overlay separate? Since I've jumped the gun and bought the controller already!

Jamm

remote 25 template and overlay

Post by Jamm » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:08 pm

Michael,
Mayby it is also an idea to make a template
and overlay for the remote 25
Greetinz, Jamm

raapie

AB fader?

Post by raapie » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:16 pm

Michael wrote:it will be a bundle with the controller and a special green overlay...more infos soon.
I used a UC33 at my Ableton Live demonstration during the VSTdays in Holland. One thing I can imagine is a A/B horizontal fader and soft pads for triggering clips.... do it ;-)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

stew

Post by stew » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:07 am

Does the UC-33 have a MIDI in? The lack of that is about the only complain I have about my otherwise perfect UC-16.

kobayashi

jo

Post by kobayashi » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:42 am

the uc 33 has 2x midi out (1 usb, 1 din) and one midi in.

it´s one of the best controllers for ableton---or the best!!!

u can use the cubase presets to manage 16 channels and more.....

use preset 1 for ch 1-8 and press recall 10(preset 10) to manage channels 9-16....

i use it for playing live and in my setup the uc-33 has just one bug,
it´s better to use a external power supply, otherwise the controller
sometimes won´t be found from ableton, or the display stays yust blue....

Live Equip(not Studio):

15" PB 867Mhz/1GB Ram
Motu 828
Steinberg Midex(has better timing than uc33)
evolution uc33, technosaurus microcon
akai mpc 3000 (master), nord micro modular
adrena-linn, elektron machinedrum
korg MS20, Monopoly, evolver
ensoniq dp4, mackie 24ch mixer

PS: to ableton......i love live 2.0.3 but an updt. is really needet!!!

maybe anytime we can handle midi files the same way like wav´s in ableton.....
and some rewire fixes......and i think it would be the best sequencer soft ever!!!

greetz, ........

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:21 pm

I am deciding whether to get the remote25 or the uc-33, and wonder if any users could answer a couple ?'s for me;

1) does the uc-33 have an option to not follow the pot's until the value they are at is reached? I can't imagine it being very useful to switch between tracks 1-8 and 9-16 as stated above, if the update on one half alter the setting on the other page when you go back and start tweaking

2) does the us-33 assignable keypad thing allow multiple messages a la the remote 25? it's obviously on/off, can it be set to multiple messages as well?

3) what the hell is up with both of those pieces of gear boasting about stand alone power from USB when it sounds like neither of them can actually do it? Bus power is a huge selling point to me, and likely to others, which is why it sounds so attractive, but if it's not possible, isn't it shitty karma to lie about your feature sets?

just got Live this week, and freaking out over the posssibilities!