Want to move abroad

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djadonis206

Want to move abroad

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 pm

My life sucks so i want to get out of Capitol Hill, Seattle, AMERICA

basically I'm thinking of moving abroad to Spain - but I need to like give up my citizenship and get citizenship correct - not to mention find a job, learn the language and find a place to live

I'd have to ship my computer, records and bed but other than that - what else

anyone ever make that move? From here to there but I mean waaaaaaay over there?

Is it a long process or easy?

Why does my life suck - well lets see, ahh fuck it I'm not goign ot go into details I just want to get out of America and start over

Actually I'd bring all my samples to tell the truth so not completely over ;)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:09 pm

Ya might wanna check to see if they have dogparks in Spain :wink:

Cheer up Adonis the sun is coming to us soon!

Seriously though hope your doin ok
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Start looking into "ex-patriot" sites... do a search on google... you should find out more than enough information through those sites on how you would go about doing it. Also, go to the government websites of the state you're planning on moving to, to find out the procedures for making the move "legally". Otherwise, you can always do it illegally, if you can figure out a way to make "black" money (no offense, adonis, that's the term they use there.) If you have the skills (IT, or some kind of technical or scholarly training), you may be able to get sponsored (by a company), which is the ideal way to go. You may also be able to volunteer for some type of international aid group (i'm thinking Charities, or something to that effect) that would be able to help you out with housing and government issues.

My advice would be to minimize your life into the simplest amount of things that you NEED... meaning, fuck the bed.. you'll get one there... or a furnished flat... you'll definitely need to learn the language in spain, so i'd spring for a copy of Rosetta stone, if I were you, and start learning ASAP. Hope that helps.. cheers..

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:35 pm

i'd imagine you're gonna have to spend a serious chunk of change to get you and your things over there. can't say i know anyone who's moved out of the country before, some friends thought about moving to canada but there's a rather large amount of paperwork involved and i'm pretty sure you have to have a job lined up to actually permanently move to another country. or be filthy rich

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:54 pm

stinky wrote:Start looking into "ex-patriot" sites... do a search on google... you should find out more than enough information through those sites on how you would go about doing it. Also, go to the government websites of the state you're planning on moving to, to find out the procedures for making the move "legally". Otherwise, you can always do it illegally, if you can figure out a way to make "black" money (no offense, adonis, that's the term they use there.) If you have the skills (IT, or some kind of technical or scholarly training), you may be able to get sponsored (by a company), which is the ideal way to go. You may also be able to volunteer for some type of international aid group (i'm thinking Charities, or something to that effect) that would be able to help you out with housing and government issues.

My advice would be to minimize your life into the simplest amount of things that you NEED... meaning, fuck the bed.. you'll get one there... or a furnished flat... you'll definitely need to learn the language in spain, so i'd spring for a copy of Rosetta stone, if I were you, and start learning ASAP. Hope that helps.. cheers..
No worries it takes a lot to offend me and that actually made me smile - thanks for the advice - this is something I think I need to do!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:38 pm

Moving to Europe is next to impossible. It's very hard to get into countries that are not looking for people to move in. I've done a lot of research, especially after the Republicans stole the election, on how to get out of the US. Check out http://www.escapeartist.com to get a really good idea on how to do this.

Here are the quicky ways to do it:
1. Marry a European - the easiest way to get into Europe.
2. Go to work for a company in Europe doing a job that is classified as "high need" - like teaching English or working in IT.
3. Have $500K in liquidated assets so that you don't need to get a job in Europe.

If you can't do any of the above three, you can only get a 6 month visa, max, and then you'll have to leave Europe, or go illegal.

The alternative is to go to a country that welcomes immigrants. Two good options are Canada and Australia. Both have easier ways to get in than Europe.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 pm

the thing to do is set up a company in the US, make yourself an employee.
be an employee whoworks abroad for a US based company, that gets around a lot of work issues.

lots of my friends use this ruse living in the states (they are from the UK), one friend has worked and lived in california for 15 years and never had a green card.

All my friends who moved elsewhere in europe (spain, switzerland) didn't have any trouble but then we are EU citizens here so we can move about pretty easilly.
one of my pals has a kid in barcelona, and he isn't naturalised, just an EU citizen. So I'm sure theres a way round it.

overdub

I did it the other way around

Post by overdub » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:55 pm

... got so bored with my life in Copenhagen, Denmark! sold all my stuff including the Fender western guitar and the Yamaha 4 track cassette deck wich was state of the art back in 88.
I managed to raise the equivalent of 3000$ bought a plane ticket to New York played a farewell gig on the night before departure and then just left.
First month in the big apple was pure magic... but once the money was spent and I found myself busting my butt 5 days a week as a bike messenger (no greencard) I reralized that whatever it was I was trying to get away from..... it had somehow slipped in my luggage and after 6 months I was equally bored and went back home and started all over again.

Do i regret doing it??? NONONONONO I'd do it all over again - just for the hell of it.

:P
Gearslut :o)

More bass in the hi-hat

www.daffydub.com
www.myspace.com/daffyscrib

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Yeah, that's a good option. Just gotto research how to set up a company in the US that can legally earn income in the EU. Again, if you're coming into the US, it's easier because the US is an immigration-friendly country (despite what's going on right now with our southern border). Not sure how to do it going to the EU, but Angstrom has some good ideas for sure.

At the end of the day, the EU is highly protective of someone not in the EU trying to make a living and taking that opportunity away from another EU citizen. Get around that, and you can get across the pond.

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Once you've got all the paperwork sorted, just go to Barcelona and you'll fall in love. Beautiful city, beautiful people, real good nightlife and... SONAR!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:03 pm

A bit more detail : here in the UK being a 'partnership' is as simple as setting up a partnership account, I guess there are similar rules in the US.
When you get to Spain you get any money you make in Spain djing/ washing windows paid into "The Bank Of America" or whoever holds your partnership account. Usually the big foreign banks have a foreign presence.

then you draw a fixed wage out of that American account every month.
As far as the Spanish government are concerned you are IMPORTING DOLLARS, they like this idea so they won't hassle you so much. consider that cash laundered ;)

oh and like he said - Barcelona is where you want to be, Barcelona is great
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:05 pm

nebulae wrote: ...
Here are the quicky ways to do it:
1. Marry a European - the easiest way to get into Europe.
2. Go to work for a company in Europe doing a job that is classified as "high need" - like teaching English or working in IT.
3. Have $500K in liquidated assets so that you don't need to get a job in Europe.
This actually IS a bit funny, because these are like the standard advice for europeans who want to go the the US permanently. I would trade Adonis for a boring Belgian (or something) any day.

Seriously, the best place for you to go would be London (unless you are fluent in Spanish, French, German etc). London is a cool city with a good music scene and everyone actually speaks english. A big plus.

Why not start with a vacation to see if you like it? Air fare is very cheap these days, but renting an apartment/room for a month or so will set you back a bit.

Buy a Lonely Planet travel guide (Europe/England/London/Spain/whatever) and read up a bit.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Michael-SW wrote: London is a cool city with a good music scene and everyone actually speaks english.
ha, everyone speaks Polish and Lithuanian last time I was in London! ;)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Angstrom wrote:A bit more detail : here in the UK being a 'partnership' is as simple as setting up a partnership account, I guess there are similar rules in the US.
When you get to Spain you get any money you make in Spain djing/ washing windows paid into "The Bank Of America" or whoever holds your partnership account. Usually the big foreign banks have a foreign presence.

then you draw a fixed wage out of that American account every month.
As far as the Spanish government are concerned you are IMPORTING DOLLARS, they like this idea so they won't hassle you so much. consider that cash laundered ;)

oh and like he said - Barcelona is where you want to be, Barcelona is great
Excellent idea. So then your partnership in the US is getting paid money, and you are drawing income from the US for living expenses.

Then you hook up with a hot Barcelonian goddess, and knock her up real fast, so that your kid has EU and US access.

It's foolproof!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:09 pm

do it now before you have kids! things like that will get alot harder

then again Adonis, you seem to be getting it together on the tune front, why dont you just power it on the releases then try and get a residency so you're going to work? might take a bit longer though....