Still having trouble with FCB1010...about to give up.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 am

the "override assignment" messsage is in Live right? somehow your template set must have midi assignments, just go for it and override them--it won't hurt anybody. If you have banks of pedals assigned to different individual midi notes, you should be able to map the pedals to individual clips slots as well as scene fire slots--go for it.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu May 11, 2006 6:52 am

I just jumped through the WEEKLONG HOOP,and finally got my FCB 1010 programmed doing EXACTLY what your wanting to do.

To me it sounds like you've got the same midi notes assigned over each pedal by accident.That's why live keeps asking if you want to replace the current note blah blah....

Been there done that.

The pedal board is a bitch to program UNTIL it clicks and you start think bass akwards like Mr. Behringer himself.

I can pm you specific step by step if your still in need,just let me know.

Keep the faith dude cause once it's set,it rocks the casbah!!!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Mika

Post by Mika » Thu May 11, 2006 9:16 am

4ace the step by step could really shine on the Ableton Wiki and help all those who have or will have a FCB or similar midi controller :

http://www.teragon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 11, 2006 9:50 am

uhm, why would an FCB tutorial go in the Ableton Wiki?

besides, it's pretty darned easy to edit the fcb with the Ripwerx editor, methinks.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Apocrypha

Post by Apocrypha » Thu May 11, 2006 2:12 pm

quandry wrote:the "override assignment" messsage is in Live right? somehow your template set must have midi assignments, just go for it and override them--it won't hurt anybody. If you have banks of pedals assigned to different individual midi notes, you should be able to map the pedals to individual clips slots as well as scene fire slots--go for it.
quandry,

I appreciate your encouragement.lol. I am reassigning the notes. i am not afraid of doing so. the problem is, it just deletes the note I just assigned. It will not allow me to have more than 3 pedals assigned at once. And I am getting a lot of assignments that aren't even notes. In Live's Midi Mode, they show up as either "PB", or "6/21", or even "1/PB". They aren't showing up as notes line C#1 or C2.
Dual 2.5gig G5 with 2.5g/ram, DP 4.6, Live 6, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig, EWQLSO Gold, Ivory, Pluggo, Waves, Tritone Digital, PSP, tons of free plug-ins, DFHS, BFD, Event ASP8's, Trigger Finger.....and a bunch of other shite.

Apocrypha

Post by Apocrypha » Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

4ace wrote:I just jumped through the WEEKLONG HOOP,and finally got my FCB 1010 programmed doing EXACTLY what your wanting to do.

To me it sounds like you've got the same midi notes assigned over each pedal by accident.That's why live keeps asking if you want to replace the current note blah blah....

Been there done that.

The pedal board is a bitch to program UNTIL it clicks and you start think bass akwards like Mr. Behringer himself.

I can pm you specific step by step if your still in need,just let me know.

Keep the faith dude cause once it's set,it rocks the casbah!!!
4ace,

Check your PM's
Dual 2.5gig G5 with 2.5g/ram, DP 4.6, Live 6, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig, EWQLSO Gold, Ivory, Pluggo, Waves, Tritone Digital, PSP, tons of free plug-ins, DFHS, BFD, Event ASP8's, Trigger Finger.....and a bunch of other shite.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu May 11, 2006 5:21 pm

I tried my best to keep it short and simple so here goes.

If you have the manual break it out, If you don't DL it , you'll need it for the midi note's chart on page 10.

Before we start let's reset the board back to original factory setting's by holding down BOTH 1 and 6 while turning the power on.

The display should countdown to 0, when it stop's, it's reset.

Turn the power off.

Hold the Down button in for 3 sec. while turning power back on. The green L.E.D direct select should be lit under the global configuration menu.

The ONLY red L.E.D that could possibly be lit is #10.If it is, tap it once to turn it off.

Hold the down pedal for 3 sec.

Now we're set to start programming.

1-Use the up down pedals to choose a bank, i'll start on bank 1.

2-Now select which numbered pedal you want to program, i'll start on pedal 1.

3-Tap pedal 1, it should be constantly lit.

4-Now hold the down pedal for 3 sec., the green switch L.E.D. under Preset Config. should be blinking.

5-Press the up pedal once, the green select L.E.D. under Preset Config. should now be lit.

6-Pedals 8,9, and 10 need to be lit. Hold each one down until they're lit solid. Now tap pedal 10 so it 's blinking. Press the up pedal.

7-The green L.E.D. labeled "number" under Preset Config. will be lit and the pedal # 10 will be blinking along with the large red numbers in the display.

(Here is where you need the manual with midi note number/musical note chart on page 10.)

8-Type in the midi note number you want to use for that pedal. I typed in 01 for note C#-2/Db-2.

9-Tap up once, this is the "enter" key. This takes you back to pedals 8,9, and 10 being lit solid.

10-Then hold the down pedal to exit the programming mode.

This brings you back to bank 01, preset 01.

Now Bank 01, Pedal 01 will transmit musical note C#-2/Db-2.

Repeat steps 2-10 for all 10 pedals, just keep track of which midi note numbers you assigned to what pedal because it can get messy if you don't!!

As a side note, This is how to set the foot pedals; While your on step 9 and it takes you back to pedals 8,9, and 10 that are lit solid you can press either 8 for expression pedal a OR 9 for expression pedal b.
Their L.E.D will blink , press the up pedal and type 07 For volume control, 09 for pan,91 for reverb intensity. This list of CC data can be found in section 4.2.2 of the manual.
Once those are set continue to step 10.

Moving on to Ableton Live.

When you start assigning your pedals to clips, scenes, and whatnot keep in mind there are two choices that will show up in the clip or scene.

The first will be a musical note and when you press the pedal again it becomes the midi cc# .

The difference is huge and more than i care to explain.Google midi and read up if you want to use more sophisticated routings and techniques using cc's.

I used my FCB 1010 at the same time as i was writing to be sure i did everything correct. These exact steps worked for me so they should work for you.

I wrote this the way i wish i could have found it, cut and dry.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to share this if you find it helpful.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Machinate wrote:uhm, why would an FCB tutorial go in the Ableton Wiki?

besides, it's pretty darned easy to edit the fcb with the Ripwerx editor, methinks.
I think it's worth linking to all the common hardware FAQs, there are a number of bits of equipment that are well used with Live I bet an FCB is in the top ten.

Its why I put the Echo Indigo guide on there, so I didn't have to keep using the forum search to see how I explained it last time.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 11, 2006 11:15 pm

sorry you're still having problems: two things to check:

1. When you turn on the 1010, select a patch (press any button) then hold the down pedal down for 3-seconds to enter programming mode, and confirm with an up pedal press, how many lights are lit up? All you really want to do is send one singular midi signal per pedal, a midi note. If more than one light is on, you want to turn the others off by pressing the corresponding pedal(s) down for 1-3 seconds, leaving just the midi note pedal on. From your description, it sounds like the pedal is sending out multiple midi commans to live at once and confusing it--using a midi montioring app like midiox is a helpful way of seeing what commands your pedal is sending out.

2. I've helped a few people set up 1010's. I don't know why, but at least a few years back the 1010 were coming out effed up from the factory, and required a factory reset, the instructions for which can come from the yahoo group. Worst case scenario, do the reset, maybe use an editor like Machinate mentioned, or program by hand, and see if that fixes your issues.

hang in there, you'll get it, and eventually you'll never program it again, it will be all set. I haven't programmed mine in years, its all set for me.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

unusable

Post by unusable » Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm

It's been suggested earlier but forget about live right now. It seems to be confusing you and what you need to do is confirm that each pedal is sending out differnt midi data. Once you've sorted that out, then I'd worry about live and setting up your triggering.

Take one step at a time, it sounds like you're getting half way through the first step before jumping to the next
.asus cetrino lappy 2.0Ghz 2x7200 internal drives, 2GR
.carillion desktop AC-1 P4 1.86, 786RAM
.live 5, wavelab, cubase, reason, waves
.fender, gibson and danelectro guitars
.keybaords and other things electronic

Apocrypha

Post by Apocrypha » Thu May 18, 2006 4:36 pm

4ace wrote:I tried my best to keep it short and simple so here goes.

If you have the manual break it out, If you don't DL it , you'll need it for the midi note's chart on page 10.

Before we start let's reset the board back to original factory setting's by holding down BOTH 1 and 6 while turning the power on.

The display should countdown to 0, when it stop's, it's reset.

Turn the power off.

Hold the Down button in for 3 sec. while turning power back on. The green L.E.D direct select should be lit under the global configuration menu.

The ONLY red L.E.D that could possibly be lit is #10.If it is, tap it once to turn it off.

Hold the down pedal for 3 sec.

Now we're set to start programming.

1-Use the up down pedals to choose a bank, i'll start on bank 1.

2-Now select which numbered pedal you want to program, i'll start on pedal 1.

3-Tap pedal 1, it should be constantly lit.

4-Now hold the down pedal for 3 sec., the green switch L.E.D. under Preset Config. should be blinking.

5-Press the up pedal once, the green select L.E.D. under Preset Config. should now be lit.

6-Pedals 8,9, and 10 need to be lit. Hold each one down until they're lit solid. Now tap pedal 10 so it 's blinking. Press the up pedal.

7-The green L.E.D. labeled "number" under Preset Config. will be lit and the pedal # 10 will be blinking along with the large red numbers in the display.

(Here is where you need the manual with midi note number/musical note chart on page 10.)

8-Type in the midi note number you want to use for that pedal. I typed in 01 for note C#-2/Db-2.

9-Tap up once, this is the "enter" key. This takes you back to pedals 8,9, and 10 being lit solid.

10-Then hold the down pedal to exit the programming mode.

This brings you back to bank 01, preset 01.

Now Bank 01, Pedal 01 will transmit musical note C#-2/Db-2.

Repeat steps 2-10 for all 10 pedals, just keep track of which midi note numbers you assigned to what pedal because it can get messy if you don't!!

As a side note, This is how to set the foot pedals; While your on step 9 and it takes you back to pedals 8,9, and 10 that are lit solid you can press either 8 for expression pedal a OR 9 for expression pedal b.
Their L.E.D will blink , press the up pedal and type 07 For volume control, 09 for pan,91 for reverb intensity. This list of CC data can be found in section 4.2.2 of the manual.
Once those are set continue to step 10.

Moving on to Ableton Live.

When you start assigning your pedals to clips, scenes, and whatnot keep in mind there are two choices that will show up in the clip or scene.

The first will be a musical note and when you press the pedal again it becomes the midi cc# .

The difference is huge and more than i care to explain.Google midi and read up if you want to use more sophisticated routings and techniques using cc's.

I used my FCB 1010 at the same time as i was writing to be sure i did everything correct. These exact steps worked for me so they should work for you.

I wrote this the way i wish i could have found it, cut and dry.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to share this if you find it helpful.
FINALLY! I got it. I was about to return it but this is working now. As I get more familiar with this I will want to do different things but right now this will do exactly what I need it to do for my live show. Thanks guys!

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 am

Anyone care to share SysEx files for doing this? If so, I'd be more than happy to document the process of importing SysEx files to the FCB1010 and posting on the wiki.

- drew

aklisiewicz

briliant idea

Post by aklisiewicz » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:43 am

Yeah, this is an excelent idea. I just ordered noe E-PROM and would hate to reprogram manualy again. BTW. I'm still working on it. I have programed 1010 but for some reason now Live is not getting MIDI signal. I can see data going through my Uno/MIDI interface but it gets stacked somewhere... and I don't see Live LEDs blinking...

Any suggestions

quandry

Re: briliant idea

Post by quandry » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:47 am

aklisiewicz wrote:Yeah, this is an excelent idea. I just ordered noe E-PROM and would hate to reprogram manualy again. BTW. I'm still working on it. I have programed 1010 but for some reason now Live is not getting MIDI signal. I can see data going through my Uno/MIDI interface but it gets stacked somewhere... and I don't see Live LEDs blinking...

Any suggestions
make sure you live midi settings in the preferences are proper---you need to set it as a "remote" and/or 'track". if the 1010 is sending out info and your interface is recognizing it, then all you need to get it to work in live is to set your midi input settings properly.