[OT] day without immigrants?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
snowtires

[OT] day without immigrants?

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 3:47 pm

is this affecting anyone? like, maybe in california? i haven't really seen my part of the world shut down - maybe a few mushrooms will go unpicked today - but are people elsewhere noticing it?

marky

Post by marky » Mon May 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Is it for illegal immigrants only? I'm a legal alien (H1B in Hi-Tech) .. I could do with a day off...
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 3:53 pm

haha, yeah i think it's illegal only.

funk313

Post by funk313 » Mon May 01, 2006 4:07 pm

everybody should just take a day off.. :lol:

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Mon May 01, 2006 4:14 pm

it is definitely NOT only for illegal immigrants.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 01, 2006 4:14 pm

A few business here are closed due to the traffic, but that's it. I think the only people really paying attention are those protesting. Everyone else is sort of like "mweh, whateva".

computo

Post by computo » Mon May 01, 2006 5:22 pm

not here...its kinda scary.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 5:24 pm

yeah, that's kind of how i saw it. it looks like the only ones who care or are affected by this are the immigrants themselves. maybe i'm wrong, but if the point of this protest was to show us how they could shut down the country, it looks like they just proved the exact opposite.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 5:27 pm

computo wrote:not here...its kinda scary.
hah, really? scary as in, there's a lot of them, or scary as in everything shut down? i just read an article on cnn.com and the only person they interviewed who was losing money was a landscaper. so, apparently rich people and golf courses are suffering the most today.

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Mon May 01, 2006 5:40 pm

Its not just for illegal immigrants..Legal, illegal, ppl who against what our government is trying to do..Are rallying to show support against this bill :D ....

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 5:41 pm

so does that mean you have to stay at work later than normal if you're in support of the bill?

computo

Post by computo » Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 pm

yeah, snowtires...

Come on...there a millions of people who will be effected...How about the one immigrants entire family that was already here? You are a moron if you think this serves only the immigrants.

The rich are getting exactly what they want out of this: a guarantee not only of their cheap labor, but that the labor costs in general around the world are going to be effected by their presence.

If things were better in Mexico, they would need to come here. This is all part of the process of destroying both nations.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Look,

To come out and protest against what this country (USA) is trying to do with the illegal immigrant issues and stricter laws defining the prospective immigrants is justifiable.

I understand why people are upset about this (my Grandparents were immigrants to this country, today who know's if they would be allowed in). I feel that as a US citizen, WE should protest things that bother us.

But for Illegal immigrans to protest and threaten to boycott products and services and contribute to "shutting down" America for a day to show there importance is INSANE!!

Think about it, you fled your country, you are living here not paying taxes, and your going to try to shut down this country? It's F'd up... I mean imagine the balls people would say my hypothetical group had if 'we' went to Canada and bitched and complained that they wouldn't take us in! Cause they won't. Unless you speak French and X amount of money, with a Masters degree, an American will NOT be allowed into Canada to live. Period. Why is it any different here? It's not. If you want to be excepted as an immigrant in America, you should be bringing something of value to this country. Like anywhere else. I can't sdtand George Bush. Not at all. But this is not a Republican probelem or a Democratic problem. This issue was bound to come up and because the most unpopular man in the World is at the front of it, it's his idea? Seriously, I am against everything this man stands for but to have thousands of illegal immigrants come out and say they are boycotting work, etc. is ridiculous! I swear to god, if this happened in Europe they would laugh. If it happened in a former Communist country, they would be blacklisted to never return to work (or anywhere?) again. It happens in America and it's all over the media. We have become far to PC i'm afraid...

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Mon May 01, 2006 7:24 pm

thelike5 wrote:Look,

To come out and protest against what this country (USA) is trying to do with the illegal immigrant issues and stricter laws defining the prospective immigrants is justifiable.

I understand why people are upset about this (my Grandparents were immigrants to this country, today who know's if they would be allowed in). I feel that as a US citizen, WE should protest things that bother us.

But for Illegal immigrans to protest and threaten to boycott products and services and contribute to "shutting down" America for a day to show there importance is INSANE!!

Think about it, you fled your country, you are living here not paying taxes, and your going to try to shut down this country? It's F'd up... I mean imagine the balls people would say my hypothetical group had if 'we' went to Canada and bitched and complained that they wouldn't take us in! Cause they won't. Unless you speak French and X amount of money, with a Masters degree, an American will NOT be allowed into Canada to live. Period. Why is it any different here? It's not. If you want to be excepted as an immigrant in America, you should be bringing something of value to this country. Like anywhere else. I can't sdtand George Bush. Not at all. But this is not a Republican probelem or a Democratic problem. This issue was bound to come up and because the most unpopular man in the World is at the front of it, it's his idea? Seriously, I am against everything this man stands for but to have thousands of illegal immigrants come out and say they are boycotting work, etc. is ridiculous! I swear to god, if this happened in Europe they would laugh. If it happened in a former Communist country, they would be blacklisted to never return to work (or anywhere?) again. It happens in America and it's all over the media. We have become far to PC i'm afraid...
couldn't have said it better myself. how many other countries around the world let millions upon millions of people come into their country, illegally, to work? i just can't believe that the illegal immigrants actually have the gall to request the same rights as those who came here legally. i love how people like to church it up and call them 'undocumented immigrants' as if it's merely just some kind of paperwork loophole that's separating them from the rest of the population.

people say, 'oh, my grandparents were immigrants, immigration was the basis of this country' yeah, LEGAL immigration. my grandfather came to this country in 1929 as a legal, documented immigrant. he worked to send money home to his family in ireland, his sister eventually came over, and they both became american citizens. he came from another country, worked, paid taxes and became a citizen. that's the american dream. coming here to work illegally is not part of that equation. actually, maybe illegal immigrants ARE living the american dream, seeing as they don't pay taxes.

illegal immigrants may have large communities, but everything about the way they came here, why they're here and what they do while they're here makes them almost an entirely separate entity from the whole of america. how many countries around the world can you go to, live in and work in, where you don't have to bother learning the language? if you go to china, yeah maybe a lot of people speak english now, but if you don't learn chinese, you're still gonna be screwed.

i have no problem with people who go through the proper channels to get here. hell, i'd even go so far as to say maybe instead of trying to keep them out of our country, we should spend that money trying to make mexico better so they won't have to leave. but, honestly, if you're not supposed to be here, you don't get the right to bitch. just take your $2.50 an hour and shut your damn mouth.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:29 pm

snowtires wrote:
i love how people like to church it up and call them 'undocumented immigrants' as if it's merely just some kind of paperwork loophole that's separating them from the rest of the population.

Above is what really prompted me to post...

I seriously had to read about three or four different sites to make sure this wasn't immigrants protesting but ILLEGAL immigrants who were protesting. Big difference. Until you have gone through the minimal effort of becoming a citizen I flat out don't want to hear or see the bitching. If you are not a contributing taxpayer, who can help better schools, roads, or programs designed to help the physically sick and needy, then fuck off. Your living in this Country illegally and have the balls to complain? What other country in the world would put up with this? And don't even get me started on the people who are chicken hawking on them and paying them low wages. All the more reason to educate yourself and become a legit citizen and stop allowing yur self to be taken advantage of.