best for electro: berlin? london? san francisco? barcelona?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 pm

All i know is, traveling within the US frequently, is that this country SUCKS, for music (scenewise, not production), and otherwise (culturally, socially, overall vibe).

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue May 23, 2006 4:13 pm

some believe there are periods in history where some citites thrive more than other cities.

Paris in the 20's
LA in the 60's
New York in the 80's
Berlin in the 90's

wats next hard to tell...
London? Shangai? for sure, if Jeb Bush follows George I and George II footsteps and becomes ruler, there definitely wont be any american city on my list ;)

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue May 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Manchester late 80s... (hacienda etc)
London late 80s (M25 outdoor Raves, shoom, ACID) Mid 90s (britpop, britart)
Berlin early 00s..

whatever...

why is NYC so crap for clubs these days guys? I'm going over in a couple of weeks and was hoping for some silly malarky over there?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Wed May 24, 2006 4:15 am

because NYC is now the world's biggest outdoor shopping mall.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 24, 2006 2:29 pm

Amsterdam is a nice place but musically there's not much going on. It is also more expensive than Berlin which is ridiculous really.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Wed May 24, 2006 4:01 pm

London is where its at, its diverse and is still the centre of dance music whether the Germans like it or not. There Ive said it!

and forget Barcelona if you want to have a career in music.
HA HA HA :twisted:

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Wed May 24, 2006 4:25 pm

London is very expensive, plus the Tube is crap, Germany's public transport is far better.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 pm

enjoy emmigrating. there are millions lined up to take your place in this "completely fucked" country, so i don't think we'll miss you too much. i also find somewhat funny the notion that san francisco is no longer sufficiently progressive for you, because i don't know that i've been anywhere so lefty (and i've been to berlin, amsterdam, etc.), though i've also always found it funny when people in SF claim to be "up with people" while living in million dollar houses (surely they could find somewhat less expensive digs and ship some of that money to the local poor or pay for wells or medicines for africans, etc.).

D K

Post by D K » Wed May 24, 2006 5:31 pm

i've been having a hard time with the u.s. as of late myself....the thing is, it seems electronic music is taking it's time and slowly seeping into popular culture here,
it's not really suddenly blowing up, but more becoming a standard element.
maybe take the bull by the horns and start to organize....if there's not alot going on, then there is always potential to make something happen....
also, we're seeing a huge change in that people are going back into the cities in droves, despite the cost of living etc....the good side is the are masses of people in small areas looking for something to do.