Kore alternatives?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kj

Post by kj » Mon May 08, 2006 10:54 am

I played around with Kore and it is a major dissapointment. It basically is a plug-in host (VST/AU/RTAS) and allows you to create patches (something like Reason's combinator or the channelstrip in Logic) and catogorize these in a database. The hardware part is nothing more then a controller for the plug-in host. From what i understood of the whole Kore idea is that you load all you plug-ins into kore and load kore as a plug-in into your sequencer. You then can search for a sound in Kore and it loads the plug-ins for you.

That is it...

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Mon May 08, 2006 10:56 am

*breaks out credit card*

I'LL TAKE FIVE!!!

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 am

Machinate wrote:Ableton Live Live Clips sorted into sub-folders. Best organizer in the wr0ld.
sometimes live clips really play with my nerves. like, there's a 5 sec delay between the moment i click one in the browser and the moment it starts playin... if this happens when i'm inspired and i need to find a sound quick, these 5 sec feel like a whole eternity. makes me feel like smashing my computer or smtg ;) ok, i could convert that anger into art but since im not really into death metal im not sure the result will b interestin...

hope it will be improved in the future coz i nevertheless cant live w/o em.
they're a great way to organise sounds weather it is samples, vstis, clips, +effects etc.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Benshik,
what you could do is save every LiveClip with a wave-file for previewing. That would help you deal with that anger of yours. That, or uppers.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

joe90

Post by joe90 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:55 pm

i think 'receptor' is what most people expect core to deliver, before they realise that its just a usb controller for vsts...( ie offloading of CPU to an external device)

check

http://www.museresearch.com/

havnt used it myslef, but seems to be pretty established now with lots of support for various plugins

j

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed May 24, 2006 5:07 pm

And now without the controller..... :wink:

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/4457/

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Kore alternatives?

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 pm

count me as one of the confused -- i've read the webpages and other info, still not sure what kore would get me if (e.g.) i'm just using a lot of reaktor patches (and i don't really need another controller). but i'm willing to postpone judgment, because i thought the same about reason's combinator when it was announced, and you can actually do some really cool stuff with it (not that i really ever use reason anymore).

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 am

I think we've done this topic before?
Basically Kore is a host for VST's that you can use inside another DAW. Like "group devices" in Live but able to work with VST and AU as well. In theory it would make mine, and other people who work in multiple DAWs lives easier.
The controller also maps itself to your plug ins, and should work really well considering it has a finer resolution than MIDI. It has an audio card in it as well.
The clincher is it kills any plug in that is wrapped in Kore, if the controller isn't plugged in. So if you write a song with Kore, it can't be used without Kore attached. It rules out all the benefits. Say you transfer the channel strip with Reactor and PSP Vinatage Warmer etc. on it to your laptop for use in Live from logic, well then, if you wan to compare, you have to unplug kore from the laptop and plug it into the desktop, or get two Kores...... :roll:

Here's Novation's solution to the controller.
http://www.novationmusic.com/news.asp?id=134

Couple it with this as a solution for the plug in channel strip concept!
http://www.sonicbytes.com/phrazor/phrazor.htm

Then you're set! Phrazor is beta on Windows right now, but they are going to make an OSX version! :mrgreen: