:OT: New mac adds, what do you think?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

is mac getting to cool for there own good?

No they are the bomb and there adds speak the truth
31%
Yes they are getting to be a little bit to pompous
33%
Who the hell cares!
36%

Total votes: 36

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 09, 2006 8:42 pm

AD- "Virus": Now that Windows can be put on the Intels, not as true as they claim. I bet Mac's are even more suseptible to attack, being they have fewer protections against viruses...

AD - "Freeze": We all know this isn't true. Notice how they never quite say that Macs don't freeze...

AD - "Network": Not as true as they claim. A LOT of the time,Mac drivers are hard to come by or never get past beta stage...

AD - "iLife": They left out the biggest bundled app for PC: Solitaire... And after a few rounds with iMovie and iDVD, they get either deleted and/or never used again... Widgets are USELESS and I won't go into the joke that is Garageband.

And I'd STILL take Mac over PC.

Mac user for 15 years and forever. :roll:
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 8:52 pm

garage band may be a joke, but it does have some nice synths in it....it doesnt fit with my work flow so I dont use it....but its better then a kick in the face. and pc's dont come with free synths......

as for viruses....well I hope they dont do something stupid like boasting 'mac doesnt get viruses' ....isnt that exactly the kind of arrogance these virus writing goons like to target ?
also...isnt it true that the viruses will only effect the windows OS, and not the whole machine ? really....who in their right mind will be surfing the net with their windows partition on their mac machine ? I'll just be using non-internet-related software on my windows partition, when I get around to getting a copy.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 09, 2006 9:15 pm

There are viruses that can KILL a hard drive nad make useless EVERYTHING on it. Physical damage.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

warpus

Post by warpus » Tue May 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Yeah, it would be completely stupid to switch to using PCs because you don't like Apple's ads or marketing. I guess no one gets that the ads are intended to be funny.

marky

Post by marky » Tue May 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Ah you're all getting too caught up in it all, come on, lighten up a bit :) ... Apple is a computer COMPANY who need to market their product. They all do it.

I thought they were pretty funny to be honest.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 pm

kabuki wrote:There are viruses that can KILL a hard drive nad make useless EVERYTHING on it. Physical damage.
lol

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue May 09, 2006 10:36 pm

I could care less about the ads BUT I do believe they alienate the very people they are trying to get to switch. They seem to preaching to the choir.
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Tue May 09, 2006 11:40 pm

kabuki wrote:AD- "Virus": Now that Windows can be put on the Intels, not as true as they claim. I bet Mac's are even more suseptible to attack, being they have fewer protections against viruses...
Windows virus affect Windows computers. I've not heard of a virus written in plain assembler using no OS specific system calls (not even sure if it's possible), so what you're saying is basically wrong. Mac OSX is stronger both cos of ye olde 'security by obscurity' (safest tactic bar not being networked) and cos it's a better system. It's based on the 30-40 years of programming experience of the scores of academics and boffins who basically invented networked computer operating systems (FFS), not something thought up by a bulky, inefficient corporation over the last ten. Virus protection is no match for a secure system, as it's inherently one step behind the virus coders.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

gomi

Re: :OT: New mac adds, what do you think?

Post by gomi » Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Mike Goodwin wrote:http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/?networking_medium

Check these adds out. Do you find them as irritating as I do? The more I see of the mac image these days the more I am coming to dislike mac. I own a dual G5 and I like it just fine btw. But dam watching these adds just pisses me off. It seems to me that mac is getting a little more pompous than I can stomach. Instead of the cool sleek, what a killer computer feeling I am starting to get a dam this is made by the same company that makes them annoying Ipods and sells music in a format that I cant use when I dj feeling. Am I loosing touch with reality? Now all this being said I don’t rely care that much about image. Im sure the new macs are very nice. But from my experience they have there own problems. And don’t always “just work”.

What do you folks think?
i think they are clever.
but i hate people in suits.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed May 10, 2006 12:04 am

My PC comes with a calculator. Who needs more?

(straightens suit and levels a nutshot at hipster)

That's the add I'd like to see. :D
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed May 10, 2006 2:34 am

I chuckled but thought they were somewhat inane. Honestly though, I think some people are taking this way too seriously. This is marketing folks, companies do this.
Image Image

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed May 10, 2006 2:54 am

yeah, I thought the "freeing the intel chip" adds months ago were LAME, but now, using the dorky guy from Dodgeball to represent joe cool mac user seems like a dumb advertising move--they're trying to make the pc business guy look like a nerd by putting him next to an actor whose most well-known roll is super-geek cheer queer in Dodgeball. :roll: :roll: And correct me if I'm wrong, as much as I know they are maybe outdated and basic, but does apple have anything like word, powerpoint, excel--MSOffice stuff--every single mac owner I know uses these products, so their whole "bundled apps" ilife bit in the advertisements is off point.

I am happy for mac users using Live that will now experience the performance I am on my pc via Live 5.2--I'm sure y'all are psyched to finally have better, faster performance from your pricey machines, and I don't mean that as a taunt or anything. I know many mac users here have been complaining for years about limited track and effect counts with Live compared to pcs with Live or to Logic, etc., and pining for altivec optimization and this that and the other, glad that your day has finally come (if you buy a new computer that is).
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed May 10, 2006 4:29 am

they bother me. much in the same way as the blockbuster ads which say "charge late fee, don't charge late fee, HELLOOOOO? are you a fucking MORON?"

(fine print: over 1 week late = you BOUGHT it)

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 am

I chuckled at the add the first time I saw it, ultimately hipsters piss me off. I chose to buy this dual G5 overall a laptop specifically because I didn't want to become a coffee shop fixture. Of course, now I'm sucked into Live and waiting for a 64bit macbookpro.

Maybe if windows had IAC drivers I would sell logic, and my dual g5. I can't quit this OS!

Louis

Post by Louis » Wed May 10, 2006 7:33 am

I don't know maybe I'm a sucker for crazy adds. I just like the idea that mac publicly kicks dirt in windows face. I think both of the guys are retarded, but jobbs is sick of windows. I liked the big posters they made "welcom to vista" with a big picture of an osx disk. I use both platforms though, they both serve their purposes in my world. Never the less I tend to use my pc more often for the grunt of my work and I like the interface, I am really growing to like my macbook alot. Oh yeah- whoever mentioned those UAD cards- those things just suck in most systems. You pretty much have to build a computer around them- dsp boxes have always been bugged the fuck out, they are just as bad on a pc. And yeah- I kinda have to agree, it does just work. None of my NI shit runs proper on any pc's (hanging notes in absynth, screwed up tone mode in kontakt)- no problems on any mac I've used. I'm making these judgements on real life experiences so I think i'm being fair in that reguard. And I just don't get people- everybody was complaining about windows, but now apple is getting some play, they get hated on- maybe everybody should just go pull their hair out breaking linux half baked distros- well see how far you get with no support and shit for documentation :roll: while getting called a noob by a bunch of chubby little wanna be h4xorz who think they only have the priviledge of using linux (not all are like that, but I definetly have quite a few friends who live up to that stigma).