New Book on Live 2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deeplfo

New Book on Live 2

Post by deeplfo » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:28 pm

FYI:

A new book on Live 2 from the publisher of the Power series:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 61-3295866

Mohsen

Credo

Post by Credo » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:45 am

cool

would be great to hear The Abletons review. But what could they say... ;)

C

I wonder

Post by I wonder » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:55 pm

who really knows live that well, I don't recognize the author either, he must be someone who frequents this site though,

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:10 pm

i checked every chapter of this book by dave hill, so it's quality proofed ;0) and quite interesting
michael
ableton

guvnorbeats

Ableton Live Power

Post by guvnorbeats » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:13 am

Thanks Michael,

yep the book is finally shipping. It was written for all levels of Ableton users. Each chapter was reviewed and fact checked by Ableton for accuracy.

my companion website is at

www.brainboxing.net/abletonlive

thanks again and drop me a line at dave@brainboxing.net to let me know what you think.

best,
Dave

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:58 pm

I picked up the book as soon as I found out it existed. I got it via ups on Wednesday last week.

As a beginner it has helped me quite a bit.

Thanks

guvnorbeats

Post by guvnorbeats » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:20 pm

Great, thanks!

I wrote the book for all levels of users, but have learned (in writing tip and tricks and even software reviews for magazines) that a good dose of beginner level stuff helps everybody.

Fully understanding the basics is the key to mastery, I say.

again thanks for the support.

Dave

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:55 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the book, just got it in the mail. There are some good tips in there. The one thing that I think is still kind of thin, and users have been asking Ableton for tutorials on this, is the wrap markers and the entire process of manipulating them. I'd love to see a chapter on all things warp maker-related. I'm still trying to sort out my ways when I record anything into Live, be it direct from an audio sample CD to synth lines from the mixer. I'm basically going about it by trial & error to see how I should set my warp markers. Anyway, good job on the book, it's does fill a great void.

Thanks,
Mohsen

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:18 pm

you're totaly right Guest, if the Live warpmarkers lined up with the peaks of a wavform automaticly it would make the program work about 80percent easier/faster, the warp markers need their own book.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:16 pm

Thanks for the note Moshen.

I will try and post some additional warp markers tutorials to my site in the coming weeks. I have a few new ideas, but make sure you read the book thoroughly. There are a lot of hints about how to use Warp markers both in DJing, Editing, and recording. I decided to interweave my tips on warp markers throughout the book as you encounter them rather than do a specific chapter.

On the post about automatic transient detection / alignment: this may be helpful for some, but once you get a handle on thinking a little bit backwards, Live's warp markers do really make magic out of your loops. I find that each warp marker should align with some transient (hit or sound). If you are lining up a long piece of audio, try NOT USING WARP MARKERS, but instead lining up the loop (in clip view) on the one, and then using that Clip View's Original Tempo box to line up the rest of your track. I have been amazed how well this often works.

Simply click into the Orig Tempo box in clip view and drag the mouse up and down (as the case may be). You will see the track shift / elongate according to the new tempo. Once you get close, you can add additional warp markers for touch ups.

One important tip that is on my site: If you are recording (tracking) into Live at the project tempo (e.g. your tempo will not move again). TURN OFF Live's WARP ENGINE in that newly recorded clip - by selecting the Re-Pitch Warp Mode. Then move the clip's start point to 1.1.1 to your very first note. You can also turn off Warp entirely but it is really not necessary.

Again, I will be happy to post some examples of how I do this in the next couple of weeks. I'm working on a review of Reaktor for Remix Magazine at the moment. Please keep the suggestions and requests coming.

Best,
Dave

guvnorbeats

Post by guvnorbeats » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:19 pm

by the way that last post WAS me. I forget Apple's newfangled Safari browser doesn't retain passwords / logins

(sigh)

Dave

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:39 pm

yes it does. I haven't typed in any passwords or user names since I started using Safari. I don't remember if you have to turn something on to make it work though. Do you have the latest version?

On the subject of the live book--I ordered it and should get it by the weekend. Yep, the warp markers have been sort of a trial and error thing for me too, so I'm anxious to see what advice/wisdom is shared in the book.

Thanks in advance for the effort.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

guvnorbeats

Post by guvnorbeats » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:54 pm

Right! Auto Fill! Ok it's working now . . . I just started using Safari and hadn't poked around much.

I'm using Safari version 1.0 (v85), I think that is the latest. For some reason my home page always gets reset back to Apple. That sounds like a Microsoft Trick!! Anyway thanks for the tip!

And thanks a ton for buying the book. There are plenty of goodies in there. Enjoy!

best,
Dave

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:12 am

guvnorbeats wrote:Right! Auto Fill! Ok it's working now . . . I just started using Safari and hadn't poked around much.

For some reason my home page always gets reset back to Apple. That sounds like a Microsoft Trick!! Anyway thanks for the tip!

best,
Dave
Getting a bit off topic here, but since you have helped me so much with your book here is my chance to help you,

Go to Safari prefs. Click on the general tab and you can reset your homepage there. Just navigate to whatever page you want to use as your homepage and copy and paste the url into the window.

As far as the log in goes, click the little remember me box or whatever they call it next to the user name and pass word.

Hope I've helped!
:D

guvnorbeats

Post by guvnorbeats » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:33 am

thanks for the note.

The funny thing is, I have set the home page to many different things over the month or so I've been using Safari and it seems to revert back to an Apple Live Page every so often.

Each time it has happened I have tried to retrace my steps, but have not found any sort of correlation. Maybe its just a sign I have too much audio software on my machine! heh.

anyway, thanks and good luck with Live. --> Make sure to download 2.1.2 -- the new Live update posted yesterday.

cheers,
Dave