have you converted anyone to live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Fri May 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Benshik wrote:
forge wrote:question is who havent I converted. My mum would think it a bit odd if I tried to convert her. So wold the landlord. But other than that I think they're all my children.
my gf is impossible to convert...
i think she's about to create the "Women Against Live Users Front"...
:wink:
oh yeah, and her....actually at certain times of the month she is the main force behind the "women against life users front"

Benshik
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Moscow/Montreal

Post by Benshik » Fri May 19, 2006 6:26 pm

forge wrote:
Benshik wrote:
forge wrote:question is who havent I converted. My mum would think it a bit odd if I tried to convert her. So wold the landlord. But other than that I think they're all my children.
my gf is impossible to convert...
i think she's about to create the "Women Against Live Users Front"...
:wink:
oh yeah, and her....actually at certain times of the month she is the main force behind the "women against life users front"
lmao :D

kennerb
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by kennerb » Fri May 19, 2006 6:37 pm

I know of at least 8 people that have bought a legit copy of Live because I was so into it. I usually just have to sit down for a half hour with them and then point them to a demo. After a few complaints about not being able to save it they usually go out and get it. I've actually set up a few studios around me with all of their gear. Now only if I got payed for it :roll:

Oh well. I love doing it and it helps build a base of people I can share projects with.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

djadonis206
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Post by djadonis206 » Fri May 19, 2006 6:48 pm

No because I have no friends and everyone hates me
Ableton | Elektron

Music

joesapo
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by joesapo » Fri May 19, 2006 7:26 pm

No because I have no friends and everyone hates me
Probably because you are on the interweb posting all the time! Go out and get some sun, ya pasty bastard!


Anyways - I was at guitar center the other day and some kid walking in wanting to buy FLStudioXXL (~$300).

Having moved from FL to Live, I was able to give him the finer points about the strengths and weaknesses of the two platforms (FL sux).

Anways, he walked out with Live and I told him that if he really wanted FL, he should buy it online and get the lifetime upgrades for a bill...

glu
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:27 am

Post by glu » Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

WELL DAMN! I guess one is better than none...
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

djadonis206
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Post by djadonis206 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:28 pm

joesapo wrote:
Probably because you are on the interweb posting all the time! Go out and get some sun, ya pasty bastard!
Pasty Bastard - hmmmm let me think about that one for a minute ;)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

quandry
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:31 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by quandry » Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 pm

joesapo wrote:
No because I have no friends and everyone hates me
Probably because you are on the interweb posting all the time! Go out and get some sun, ya pasty bastard!


Anyways - I was at guitar center the other day and some kid walking in wanting to buy FLStudioXXL (~$300).

Having moved from FL to Live, I was able to give him the finer points about the strengths and weaknesses of the two platforms (FL sux).

Anways, he walked out with Live and I told him that if he really wanted FL, he should buy it online and get the lifetime upgrades for a bill...
I agree that if on a desert island, as an instrumentalist, I'd take Live over FL hands down. That said, as great as Live is with audio and FL is not so great with it (though vastly improving since the days of FL3), the converse is true concerning midi--Live's implementation of midi is primative at best in comparison with FL Studio (though Live 6 and later will surely up the ante a bit). For me, because of the audio strength of Live, and the midi strength of FL, the two are perfect counterparts--FL rewired into Live is an amazingly powerful setup that can accomplish just about anything you might wanna do. I definitely suggest Live to any and all musicians I know, but for non-musicians/non-instrumentalist that don't really have anything "audio" to record, I would (and have) suggest FL since you can use the step seq to program beats and melodies, and use a little cheap keyboard to play vstis...
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

hoffman2k
Posts: 14717
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoffman2k » Fri May 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Heh, where do i collect my commision? :wink:

Live users.... my type of crowd.

:lol: :lol: Pasty Bastard :lol: :lol:
Thats a good one :D

I got the transport bar "tanned" onto my forehead ;)

Pitch Black
Posts: 6451
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 20, 2006 1:05 am

I'm a Livanelgist and you can all come on my UFO...

joesapo
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by joesapo » Sat May 20, 2006 1:20 am

FL rewired into Live is an amazingly powerful setup that can accomplish just about anything you might wanna do.
Completely Agree
Live's implementation of midi is primative at best in comparison with FL Studio
In some aspects I agree with what you are saying... But it was actually due to the problems I was having with MIDI and FL that actually got me to move to Live...

First off, FL will NOT act as a MIDI slave to anything - it has to be master. There is a beta MTC wrapper for FL, but it doesn't work well and is still in development. Needless to say, I wasn't crazy using my laptop as a master clock for my other hardware, especially when I have a rock-solid hardware sequencer willing to do the same thing. Even when I did use FL as a master clock, it would slow down and speed up randomly, and would never be in *perfect* time with my external gear. The FL forum is overrun with people having identical problems... All the FL staff can do is say "it's not the software, it's the hardware"...

Well, ever since moving to Live, I haven't had a single problem (identical hardware and everything). All my gear syncs perfectly in time. And with microsecond tunability. FL can't compete with that.

If FL would play nicer with external hardware, I doubt I would have moved to Live at all... But now that I'm here I don't think I can ever go back ;)

Now all Live needs is a FL Slicer, Formula Controller, FPC, Scratcher and Lifetime Upgrades and ImageLine will be SOL.

glu
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:27 am

Post by glu » Sat May 20, 2006 1:50 am

Pitch Black wrote:I'm a Livanelgist and you can all come on my UFO...
you mean your LFO?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

glu
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:27 am

Post by glu » Sat May 20, 2006 1:52 am

djadonis206 wrote:No because I have no friends and everyone hates me
i don't
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

dirtystudios
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:28 am
Location: santa barbara
Contact:

Post by dirtystudios » Sat May 20, 2006 2:19 am

A few dozen.

quandry
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:31 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by quandry » Sat May 20, 2006 2:31 am

joesapo wrote: some aspects I agree with what you are saying... But it was actually due to the problems I was having with MIDI and FL that actually got me to move to Live...

First off, FL will NOT act as a MIDI slave to anything - it has to be master. There is a beta MTC wrapper for FL, but it doesn't work well and is still in development. Needless to say, I wasn't crazy using my laptop as a master clock for my other hardware, especially when I have a rock-solid hardware sequencer willing to do the same thing. Even when I did use FL as a master clock, it would slow down and speed up randomly, and would never be in *perfect* time with my external gear. The FL forum is overrun with people having identical problems... All the FL staff can do is say "it's not the software, it's the hardware"...

Well, ever since moving to Live, I haven't had a single problem (identical hardware and everything). All my gear syncs perfectly in time. And with microsecond tunability. FL can't compete with that.

If FL would play nicer with external hardware, I doubt I would have moved to Live at all... But now that I'm here I don't think I can ever go back ;)

Now all Live needs is a FL Slicer, Formula Controller, FPC, Scratcher and Lifetime Upgrades and ImageLine will be SOL.
sorry to hear about this issue. One thing worth considering if you haven't tried it is to use midi ox/yoke. I only have one midi input on my RME multiface, so I use ox/yoke to route midi from my chained controller to both Live and FL studio from one input. I don't have any ext. modules, so I haven't tried to sync any ext. devices to midi out, but I can say that with Live as master and FL as slave, the tempo has never fluctuated at all, but can't say if the midi sync is as stable...
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Post Reply