Evolution X-Session Is this good for Ableton live, or what !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Disco Doug

Evolution X-Session Is this good for Ableton live, or what !

Post by Disco Doug » Fri May 19, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi , i just wont to remix cds, loop etc , can i just use the software and the x session to fullfill my needs????? or what else do you think.

Something that makes life simple.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Sat May 20, 2006 12:37 am

everyone works differently so your question may get different perspectives. live will help you accomplish pretty much whatever you want to do on the software side.
choosing hardware is very personal. check out what you want in a controller (endless rotary knobs, crossfader, buttons, motorised faders, etc) and go from there. search this forum for all sorts of good info and feedback about hardware.
however if you feel comfortable with the x-session, go for it and have fun.

cheers,
drew

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat May 20, 2006 2:18 am

Honestly, of all the controllers I've tried/used/own (Evolution UC-16 & UC-33e, Kurzweil Expressionmate, Doepfer R2M, M-Audio Oxygen8, Korg MicroKontrol & Kaoss Pad, Yamaha WX5, Grex MXF8, Boss Drum Pads, etc.), the X-Session has been by far the most fun, easiest to use, and best value of them all.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat May 20, 2006 2:40 am

if you need a crossfader, it is a good way to get one for a fairly low price, however the placement of the crossfader above the knobs is a bit wierd to me. My favorite of my controllers in a lot of ways is the DM2--it is basically a kids toy mixer with usb out, and a dude named Pdoom wrote some amazing free software DM2midi that allows it to be a midi controller in conjunction with the free midi ox/yoke software, which creates virtual midi ports. It has a decent crossfader with transformer buttons, a joystick, lots of buttons that light up, two endless "scratch" wheels, best of all it was $35 on ebay. It takes a bit more to set up, but offers way more control than other controllers because of the DM2midi software, which allows any button, wheel, or joystick control ANY number of parameters. I have one button that sets literally 56 knobs and sliders in Live to zero positions with one push.

One other controller that is hard to beat for the money and very easy to set up with Live is the behringer bcr-2000--best bang for buck I've seen yet.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat May 20, 2006 5:58 am

In a nushell, yes! It's not the most sophisticated controller out there but it's certainly one the most portable and cost effective ones. I use it all the time.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes