Have you seen the lite?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evernaut

Have you seen the lite?

Post by evernaut » Tue May 23, 2006 5:46 am

Turned a friend onto the magic of Live and he's now got Live Lite 5.2 to experiment with.
While he says it's great, apparently there's no sets or clips or anything to use in simpler & impulse ...so are they pretty much redundant in that version ?

Seems odd that they would even bother putting them in at all if you can't use em, and it would pretty much limit you to audio only.

Said I'd try & find out.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Ta...

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue May 23, 2006 6:03 am

> Seems odd that they would even bother putting them in at all if you can't use em,
> and it would pretty much limit you to audio only.

explain to me again why he can't use them?

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 am

There's no Library content in the Lite version it seems. Impulse & Simpler are there, but there's no instrument samples.

I just had a quick scoot round the main site though, and there's some Live packs to dl. I'll point him to them.

Thanks.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Tue May 23, 2006 12:43 pm

lite is basically worthless. i had to go back to my... free... full version of 5 for my laptop in order to get anything done. the whole 4 tracks only thing is a real turn off. i mean, four tracks are gone in no time if you are doing anything even remotely involved. before the flames start, i do have a paid-in-full version on my desktop (i use the desktop about 95% of the time) but i remember reading something about having to authorize and deauthorize your computers so you can make your serial portable, etc and that is so lame i can't even stand it.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 23, 2006 12:58 pm

snowtires wrote:lite is basically worthless. i had to go back to my... free... full version of 5 for my laptop in order to get anything done. the whole 4 tracks only thing is a real turn off. i mean, four tracks are gone in no time if you are doing anything even remotely involved. before the flames start, i do have a paid-in-full version on my desktop (i use the desktop about 95% of the time) but i remember reading something about having to authorize and deauthorize your computers so you can make your serial portable, etc and that is so lame i can't even stand it.
It's not that horrid in practice though.

For a Lite version I think I could get by on four channels. Depends on you use.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 23, 2006 1:44 pm

snowtires wrote: before the flames start, i do have a paid-in-full version on my desktop (i use the desktop about 95% of the time) but i remember reading something about having to authorize and deauthorize your computers so you can make your serial portable, etc and that is so lame i can't even stand it.
Where did you read this? You can unlock on a couple of machines, no problem.

cheers,
Andreas.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue May 23, 2006 1:45 pm

If anyone is willing to part of his Lite version , pls. be my guest ... I have a full 3.X version (legit!) but could see very good use for a lite version on a low cpu 2nd laptop.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Tue May 23, 2006 2:58 pm

Live5 Lite has four audio tracks AND four midi.
A guy could do alot of damage with that combo.

forge

Post by forge » Tue May 23, 2006 3:06 pm

jamesp wrote:Live5 Lite has four audio tracks AND four midi.
A guy could do alot of damage with that combo.
yeah actually I rearranged my tmplate last night to exactly that because that's quite often what I end up with - keeps it minimal

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue May 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Indeed ... I'm seriously considering buying a Behringer FCA 202 just for the included Live Lite ... Live Lite alone is worth that price and a free FW audiocard is thrown in for the price ;-)
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Tue May 23, 2006 4:02 pm

Machinate wrote:
snowtires wrote: before the flames start, i do have a paid-in-full version on my desktop (i use the desktop about 95% of the time) but i remember reading something about having to authorize and deauthorize your computers so you can make your serial portable, etc and that is so lame i can't even stand it.

cheers,
Andreas.
it was in the documentation i got when i bought live

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue May 23, 2006 10:43 pm

snowtires wrote:
Machinate wrote:

cheers,
Andreas.
it was in the documentation i got when i bought live
No, you can install it on two machines. I have it on my desktop and my laptop.