I read this in a Nostradomus Manuscript:

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kabuki

I read this in a Nostradomus Manuscript:

Post by kabuki » Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 pm

PREDICTION: The Ableton 6 Beta will drop this weekend.

The Abs have been very quiet as of late and they always drop the beta bomb before a good, long weekend....

What say you?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu May 25, 2006 6:53 pm

If nostradamus said it.... Then it'll be 6 june :wink:

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu May 25, 2006 7:00 pm

:D

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu May 25, 2006 7:06 pm

8O The 6th it is.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 25, 2006 7:34 pm

not to rain on parades, but I seem to remember news articles hyping the new version prior to any betas--haven't seen any hype articles here yet....
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu May 25, 2006 7:52 pm

quandry wrote:not to rain on parades, but I seem to remember news articles hyping the new version prior to any betas--haven't seen any hype articles here yet....
Yeah. I've been wondering about that too.
Either they learned their lesson. Or the beta-cycle is starting later then like in the past 2 years.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 25, 2006 8:32 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
quandry wrote:not to rain on parades, but I seem to remember news articles hyping the new version prior to any betas--haven't seen any hype articles here yet....
Yeah. I've been wondering about that too.
Either they learned their lesson. Or the beta-cycle is starting later then like in the past 2 years.
well, I hate to be a hater, but I kind of hope they take their time on this and get 6 a bit more solid before beta than 5 was. I know as the program and userbase expands, things get more complicated, but each new beta has been increasingly bug-filled, and each new release the same. 3 was very stable within a month or two, ver 4 took a few months, 5 over half a year, and some people still seem to have problems.

I think a one-a-year release is pushing it, and hurting their ultra-stable reputation. they deserve to take a few extra months or whatever to really iron shit out and get the features that we know need to be in 6 (true midi select on launch, groove quantize, multiple automation curves at once, zoom wheel support for arranger zooming, etc.) before putting out a beta that has lots of issues and then scrambling for months to fix problems. I do appreciate how hard they work to add all of these features and sometimes redesign things, but sometimes they take away things or change things without options to do it the old way (like scrubbing in 3 vs. in 5, or the loss of buss view, or no arrangerview I/O in 4!), and sometimes it seems like the changes/omissions are a bit shortsided/narrowminded. Anyhow, looking forward to 6 when it's ready, and I hope I'll get more use out of it than ver 5, which I've rarely used for various reasons....

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 25, 2006 9:30 pm

quandry wrote:hurting their ultra-stable reputation.
they dont have an ultra-stable reputation. assuming that is, ultra-stable means ultra-stable

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 25, 2006 9:41 pm

b0unce wrote:
quandry wrote:hurting their ultra-stable reputation.
they dont have an ultra-stable reputation. assuming that is, ultra-stable means ultra-stable
ummm... as someone who's been around here since 2003, and using Live since version 1, I can say that you are totally wrong. Please do tell what other software that musicians perform in front of people with--Live is tops in that department because of its stability. Granted, as my post above states, 5 didn't help this reputation and took long time a number of versions and beta tests to get more stable. That said, 2.0.3 and 3.0.2 are absolutely stable--on a well set-up computer they only crash with dodgy vst effects, period. Live 4.1.4 took longer to achieve, but it too is very stable.

I can say this as fact because I've used these versions live for scores of gigs in front of people with zero problems--have you used these other version, do you perform live??? You, mr. joined the club in 2006, are either talking out of your ass based on experiences with 5 or something, because if you've used these previous versions, you wouldn't have made that post, period. And there lies my point, the ultra-stable program that was 2.0.3, 3.0.2, and eventually 4.1.4 has lost sacrificed some of that stability to release a new version every year for NAMM. Again, look at what people are performing in front of crowds with--more often than not it is Live.

Brittney Sparse

Post by Brittney Sparse » Thu May 25, 2006 9:45 pm

I heard Live 6 is gonna have the Gary Numan plugin.
----
\CATHODE RAY TUBE | HARD ELECTRONICA 4 HARD TIMES
\\CONDITION HUMAN| SYNTHETIC MUSIC FOR YOUR ORGANIC PLEASURES
\\\http://www.crtdot.com/
\\More CRT music on Component Recordings!
-----

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 25, 2006 9:57 pm

quandry wrote:That said, 2.0.3 and 3.0.2 are absolutely stable--on a well set-up computer they only crash with dodgy vst effects, period. Live 4.1.4 took longer to achieve, but it too is very stable.
heh, ultra-stable, absolutely, period, only ....noticing a pattern Mr-Sweeps-Alot ?
quandry wrote:I can say this as fact because I've used these versions live for scores of gigs in front of people with zero problems--have you used these other version, do you perform live??? You, mr. joined the club in 2006, are either talking out of your ass based on experiences with 5 or something
lol, exactly.
quandry wrote:, because if you've used these previous versions, you wouldn't have made that post, period.
lol, you can call live 'ultra-stable' based on the performance of live 2 & 3 (lol), I'll base my judgement on the current version. if that makes me an ass, so be it
quandry wrote:And there lies my point, the ultra-stable program that was 2.0.3, 3.0.2, and eventually 4.1.4 has lost sacrificed some of that stability to release a new version every year for NAMM. Again, look at what people are performing in front of crowds with--more often than not it is Live.
meh, weak as piss fanatacism (tho not uncommon). I'm living in the present and make judgement calls based on the current version. i guess that makes me some kind of cunt.....i never disagreed with anything you said, just that broad statement you made about live having an ultra-stable reputation. it dont.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu May 25, 2006 10:11 pm

I don't know why I'm even bothering with you, but I'll try to show why you are being, as you put it, a "Cunt". I said, in my post above:

"I know as the program and userbase expands, things get more complicated, but each new beta has been increasingly bug-filled, and each new release the same. 3 was very stable within a month or two, ver 4 took a few months, 5 over half a year, and some people still seem to have problems.

I think a one-a-year release is pushing it, and hurting their ultra-stable reputation. "

Maybe you didn't read the whole thing, but I deliberately put 5 in context of the previous versions of Live as a contrast to the stability of the previous versions. Mabye you still don't get it, so here's the definition of "reputation"

Main Entry: rep·u·ta·tion
Function: noun
: overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general within a community

"overall" implies a long-term or complete assesment--I think most english speaking people understand that "reputation" is more than one druken night on the town--a reputation is an overall assesment of something based on lots of things, not just one version out of five in reguards to Live. A reputation is something that can be built up over time (like versions 1-4), or ruined (or at least hurt) by bad things (the too early release of version 5). If you can't understand the context of my comments, and if you obviously just jumped on ship a few months ago with version 5 and don't give a fuck (or know jack shit) about prior versions, and if you don't understand what "reputation" means, or have the experience or knowledge of Live's existence pre-version 5, and thus no knowledge of it's reputation pre-version 5, then you should probably just keep your mouth shut.

btw, not everyone just has version 5, lots of users existed before version 5, I know that's hard for you to fathom, but it is true. And lots of users of previous versions of Live have stuck with the previous versions because of various issues, changes, and flaws with 5. Thus, to act like the previous versions of 5 and the people who use the "ultra-stable" versions don't exist is just ignorant. I guess I'm living in the past, and missing out on all the stuff you're bitching about in the present, but for me, Live is ultra stable, and thats a fact. period. I'm no fan-boy--I obviously have issues with some of the changes in 5 and have voiced my opinion many times, but to say that Live hasn't at some point over the last four years had a reputation amongst musicians and producers for being ultra-stable in comparison with other apps is just ignorant, plain and simple.
Last edited by quandry on Thu May 25, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 pm

uh huh

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu May 25, 2006 10:17 pm

nuh uh

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu May 25, 2006 10:56 pm

So, Live hasn't got a ultra stable reputation any more. They used to have it. Don't have it NOW.

Who cares if some versions they released years ago were ultra stable? It takes a long time to build a reputation, but it can be ruined very quickly.

The reason they have a one year version cycle is that they want more money.