why are the headline acts always louder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theque

why are the headline acts always louder?

Post by theque » Mon May 29, 2006 7:42 am

i am sure many of you are familiar with this phenomenon:

you go out to an event or a club, music is loud and all good, than the main act/ dj comes on and the music is now massively loud. can anybody explain to me why this is happening? it has always bugged me.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon May 29, 2006 7:55 am

Because they are usually the best act, and people want to hear it?

Bring earplugs to shows if you value your hearing. I have a pair I carry around with me everywhere in case the volume gets too much... that way, you can still enjoy the show without your ears killing you the next day.

jasefos

Re: why are the headline acts always louder?

Post by jasefos » Mon May 29, 2006 8:29 am

theque wrote:i am sure many of you are familiar with this phenomenon:

you go out to an event or a club, music is loud and all good, than the main act/ dj comes on and the music is now massively loud. can anybody explain to me why this is happening? it has always bugged me.
Sounds like business as usual to me ...
You had to ask ?
; )
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Mon May 29, 2006 8:40 am

clubs like Vanguard here in LA tend to kick up the sound as the night progresses. thats just how it is.
Self-hating american.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Mon May 29, 2006 8:48 am

cos they can afford better sound guys.

i shit you not.

tokyojoe69

Post by tokyojoe69 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 am

Might also be that when a room is empty, there is a lot more accoustic, so they keep volume down untill it fills up a little. I went out yesterday and noticed this, the sound did progressively get louder, but once the room was full it had a distinctly different sound to when i walked in.

Cheers
Emil

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon May 29, 2006 9:42 am

tokyojoe69 wrote:Might also be that when a room is empty, there is a lot more accoustic, so they keep volume down untill it fills up a little. I went out yesterday and noticed this, the sound did progressively get louder, but once the room was full it had a distinctly different sound to when i walked in.

Cheers
Emil
Well this statement certainly makes sense (all conspiracies aside!).
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon May 29, 2006 9:56 am

I experienced this phenomen with bands. The suppport act is playing their asses off and making a real good show, but aren´t mixed loud enough. So what you see and what you hear doesn´t match.
Now the main act enters stage, volume´s pumped up and you go "whoaa, this rocks".

The first act is the "ass"-act to make the second look (sound) good.

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Mon May 29, 2006 10:01 am

often it's requested in the rider that the main act can play for several dB's louder than the other acts.

Olaf

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 am

It's been the same since back in the day ( and I mean wayyyyyy back) the headline act gets the best sound/mix..............

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:41 pm

Also, as ears get a bit fatigued and used to the volume, the volume has to be turned up to maintain the same level of excitement. And, as mentioned above, the more people in the room, the more sound it takes to booooom!!

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 29, 2006 8:43 pm

Its a common technique. My teacher at audio course let us know a few 'tricks' to get the excitement up. You should always have the supporting bands / background music at a relatively lower level because that way the main act sounds bigger. And even when the main act comes in, you should have headroom to make it sound even louder during the time it plays to maintain excitement. Ol' industry tricks. Just like why you should have the biggest silence gap on a cd in the first track. Because that way the person can put the cd on the player, and have time to go back to his comfortable sofa before the music starts. Or something like that :D
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Mon May 29, 2006 10:23 pm

The obvious reason is that the headliner DJs typically turn up the volume themselves, or turn up the gains on their records/CDs.

An opening DJ should not be playing super-loud. They are there to set the mood, not blow the roof off too early. The night should have a clear progression, so having an opener blast everyone away makes no sense.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

paolo topaz

Post by paolo topaz » Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 pm

sound intensity is i2 over i1, i2 being the current level of volume with i1 being the previous level, your ears do get used to the volume so the sound engineer and the dj will increase the volume as the night goes on.

I had my ears tested last ear and having lost some mid in my left ear(monitor ear) I got the 10db custom fitted earplugs, they're great you can let people scream in your ear when they're talking to you and still enjoy the music, one review said it's like someone turning down the music a little bit with a dial on the back of your head!

Getting back to the topic, the ear doctor told me to take regular breaks from the sustained sound, so when i go outside for ten minutes and then come back the music seems so much louder, it;s down to sound intensity. I was hopeless at physics at school but I do remember that bit and it makes sense now.

Another good one is if you're watching a movie or listening to music and say you have the volume at 10/20, someone tells you to turn it down but instantly you crank it up to say16/20 just for a few seconds and pretend to just be having a laugh. The complaining person should be well pisses at this stage so bring it back to the original level of 10/20 and due to sound intensity it'll seem better to them! works well on birds!

Paolo

p.s.for the ear plug info check www.dontlosethemusic.com/org
Paolo

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Tue May 30, 2006 3:01 am

The Times reports on last night's Ivor Novello Awards for composers/songwriters, in London.
It's a funny piece, centered around the speech made by 71-year old composer Sir Harrison
Birtwistle when he climbed the stage to accept his prize. Most of the program had been
dominated by pop music - especially this year's big winner, James Blunt's "Beautiful".

So says Birtwistle:

"Why is your music so effing loud? ... You must all be brain-dead.
Maybe you are. I didn’t know so many cliches existed until the last
half-hour. Have fun. Goodbye."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 56,00.html