What got you into using Ableton Live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
interceptor

What got you into using Ableton Live?

Post by interceptor » Wed May 31, 2006 4:16 pm

Im just curious!

For me it was reading an interview with Derrick Carter in a DJ/Club/Music magazine 3-4 years ago where he was talking about this program called Ableton Live (I remember thinking what a strange name) And that he was working in a totally new way now. Whatever that meant. I just had to check it out.

After that I had many moments sitting alone and laughing as I discoverd one amazing function after the other. :lol:

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed May 31, 2006 4:27 pm

I found the beta page before it was released and have been following it ever since.

rob.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed May 31, 2006 4:39 pm

I allways check out new music programs to see whats out there, I found Live and it just clicked with me right away, the session view for working on composition totally seperated from the arrange timeline, oh and Cubase was driving me up the freakin walls with it's constant crashing, I had been using Cubase since version 1.0, the only version that was ever rock solid, but it all went downhill from there so I was looking for a substitute anyway.

Now making music is like it should be, I can concentrate on composing and not 'oh better save after every edit I make because the whole machine will hardlock again soon'

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed May 31, 2006 4:52 pm

I got sick of hardware looping pedals and started researching better, more complex solutions online, which led to finding out about Live, buying a new laptop, multiface, and controllers and finding an entirely new way to compose and perform music, no lookin' back!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 31, 2006 4:59 pm

I wanted to be able to play live in front of an audience and not have my machine crash.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed May 31, 2006 5:15 pm

I started working in pro audio sales in 2003. Reps from all of the software manufacturers started giving me NFR serial numbers to use their software. I had been a Sonar user in the past. I had my pick of every DAW on the market and I tasted every flavor.

Live 2 was out at the time and I didn't have a copy of it yet. I would open it up at the store and mess with it, but I didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing with it. It's funny, I was really drawn to it and I didn't know why. I wanted to like Live but I couldn't get it to do anything. Then one day I figured out how to use Grain Delay and my jaw dropped. The very next week Live 3 came out with full audio multi-tracking capability and from that point on I harrased Kyle the M-Audio rep incessantly until he got me a copy.

I had every DAW under the sun and I ignored them all used Live obsessively!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 31, 2006 5:19 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I had every DAW under the sun and I ignored them all used Live obsessively!
At what point did the McBoob persona take over?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed May 31, 2006 5:20 pm

Live delta came with my fw1814. Talk about a distracting piece of software! I was planning on using live drums to interact with MAX/MSP. Instead I joined this community!

(My original project is finally coming together, btw)

nbr0118

Post by nbr0118 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:29 pm

I LOST MY CUBASE DONGLE!! Best move I could have ever made :wink:
Regards,

Nathan Reyes

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm

nbr0118 wrote:I LOST MY CUBASE DONGLE!! Best move I could have ever made :wink:
You mean this literally or metaphorically?

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 pm

I started using Live when I switched to a Mac. FL Studio wasnt available, and after trying to use the counter-intuitive heavyweights (Logic, Cubase MOTU DP), I tried the demo of Live. Everything was so simple and making music was even more fun than it was in FL Studio, save for the step sequencer feature.

If Live had a step sequencer midi effect, i'd pay $999 for live.
Self-hating american.

D K

Post by D K » Wed May 31, 2006 7:05 pm

i got sick of having to deal with other musicians to be able
to create and perform music.

rentanutta
Location: Left hand corner of the Batcave, Just by the Batumbrella

Post by rentanutta » Wed May 31, 2006 7:48 pm

I found i couldnt click with reason 3, just couldnt get my head round it. Saw an article about live and next thing i know my credit card was taking the hit, now i use both live and reason, and am happy with both.

Sounds stupid but if it hadnt been for live i probably would have sold reason and gotten something else.
Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop, Win XP SP2 Home, Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 Soundcard,2GB Ram , 400 GB Hard Drive, Live 5, M-Audio O2 Midi Keyboard

Also run Reason 3 with no issues.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed May 31, 2006 7:55 pm

this is like AA ("hi superflat!!"):

i actually had live fairly early, but it was only audio and i wanted to be able to use synths, particularly outboard ones on which i already had songs pretty well along. actually pretty stupid, because now i use live alot with mangled guitar, but didn't see the possibility originally. so i struggled along with logic for a while, hating much of it. finally live got midi, i started using outboard synths with it (pls don't ask why i didn't just use the audio from the synths, i have no good explanation), then moved to soft synths, finally sucked it up and got operator, then found i couldn't work on anything else after using live, even if other DAWs have some advantages, because of work flow (which required transferring everything from logic to live, somewhat of a drag). still like reaktor, though, and find some use for guitar rig, would be willing to use reason some for some of the sounds, but always seems like too much work (yes, i'm extraordinarily lazy).

glu

Post by glu » Wed May 31, 2006 7:57 pm

marijuana, duh~ its the gateway drug to making great beats!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu