HELP!! IM WHITE HIPHOP KID FROM THE AFFLUENT SUBURBS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GranMarnierAndYooHoo

Post by GranMarnierAndYooHoo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:45 pm

well, i can't speak for anyone else, but for me it has nothing to do with white or black, the guys pictured in this thread are just straight up clowns to people who are really into hip hop culture.

As a white guy who is really into hip hop, i can say with authority that there is a way for white people to be into it that isn't fucking stupid. And, yo, for real, i'm laughing at black kids who are dressing like that too. Not because they're black, because they're fucking clowns. If we wanna take it to a level that "dance music" people can understand it on, these cats are like the most annoying club kids who are all about the clothes and drugs and don't know shit about the music and history.

.lm.
uh, i mean,
.gmayh.

GranMarnierAndYooHoo

Post by GranMarnierAndYooHoo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:48 pm

by the way, while we're laughing at complete fucking clowns, why don't you have a look at:

http://www.vinnydonline.com/

.gmayh.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:49 pm

yes, i think that's really the question,

if in fact you are comfortable making fun of the black guy dressed like this, then you've got nothing to hide.

and if you think that rap lyrics which involve selling drugs and wearing shiny jewelry are just inherently hilarious, no matter whose mouth they come out of

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:51 pm

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

GranMarnierAndYooHoo

Post by GranMarnierAndYooHoo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:58 pm

longjohns wrote: and if you think that rap lyrics which involve selling drugs and wearing shiny jewelry are just inherently hilarious, no matter whose mouth they come out of

well, i don't know about that. Silly, yes. But some really good shit has that gun play, dope dealing, flossing etc. content to it. And i like a lot of that shit to be honest. I don't take it seriously, and i don't rap about that kind of shit, but i'm not gonna turn off just because of that content.

There certainly is shit out there that is fucking stupid with that kind of shit, but again, it;s not a race or authenticity issue, it's a talent level and flow issue.

.gmayh.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:01 pm

GranMarnierAndYooHoo wrote:by the way, while we're laughing at complete fucking clowns, why don't you have a look at:

.gmayh.
"natural charisma is a gift that can't be bought....and her has it!"
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

GranMarnierAndYooHoo

Post by GranMarnierAndYooHoo » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:06 pm

quandry wrote:
GranMarnierAndYooHoo wrote:by the way, while we're laughing at complete fucking clowns, why don't you have a look at:

.gmayh.
"natural charisma is a gift that can't be bought....and her has it!"

hahaha! yeah, i know. What about:

"soaking up the rays, and the adoration of his legions of female fans"

hahahahhahaahah!

.gmayh.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:20 pm

longjohns wrote:assuming that we're laughing at a white person 'trying to be black',

imagine for a minute the opposite situation, making fun of a black person 'trying to be white' by being a successful lawyer in a 3 piece suit, etc.

that joke is of course common, and has a negative effect

also i'm not necessarily saying that this is so--- but i've heard this argument before and it made sense to me, at least on some levels.
The thing is, what does "trying to be black" or "trying to be white" mean?

It doesn't necessarily have to do with black or white, though I suppose that is generally the common assumption. Its easy to assume we are talking about "white kids trying to be black" but that is part of the cultural bias right there and maybe for assuming as much you are in part guilty of it yourself?

I spent about four years living in the ghettos in south east baltimore, in places where I was the only white face for blocks. Does that make me exempt, no. But I have been around. All the thugged out kids over there were black and the only white people you saw were buying drugs. I've had glocks pointed at my head and have seen 16 year old black kids brandishing sawed-off shot guns. No kidding.

On the other hand I've met thugged out gangster ass white kids in south west baltimore that are seriously tough as nails. I was born in South baltimore and have 2 cousins that got pulled up on king pin charges back in '92. They pretty much had that whole side of town locked down. As a matter of fact when I went to Baltimore City Jail in '95 I got by based on the strength of their names alone.

I know some asian kids that I used to skateboard with on the same side of town. Last I heard about them they were driving up the street by riverside park firing a tec-9 out the window of the car. From what I understand they are all down on drug charges now.

The point of all of that? Black kids, white kids, asian kids, latino kids all doing the same shit. What they have in common, at-least the kids I used to know, they all grew up in poor, messed up neighborhoods of the inner city and fell into that lifestyle. So I could suppose you could say they were all the "real deal" even if they were all idiots. Thats still how it is in Baltimore and its not just a "black thing".

On the other hand we have these rich, or well to do, white kids from decent neighborhoods like towson or hunt valley that drive around in their parents Acura's with pistols in the dash trying to find someone to buy an ounce of coke from so they can "get on". Wanna-be gangsters that have plenty of opportunities to do something with their lives but end up going down on weapons charges or whatever because they are trying to be thugs.

It's always baffled me why these kids that have so many opportunities would want to emulate a lifestyle that so many other kids are just dying to escape. I think we can blame the media, mainstream artists, and record companies for glamorizing the shit and force feeding it to the youth.

Funny thing is if you took most of these kids into the real "hood" and left them there for a week they would probably shit their pants and go back to college. Are there well-to-do black or asian kids that do the same shit? I am sure there are, I just haven't met any so I can't speak on it.

Anyway, I see what you are saying and that is my take on it based on my own experience.

What we are really making fun of is posers.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:41 pm

smutek wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to do with black or white, though I suppose that is generally the common assumption. Its easy to assume we are talking about "white kids trying to be black" but that is part of the cultural bias right there and maybe for assuming as much you are in part guilty of it yourself?
yes, this is important!

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:18 am

I am not black or white I am asain so I don't ever have these problems if you are bored please listen to a music track I make on www.myspace.com/tranngoc2010 oh so happy and D DAS you black communist I may be the one they know me as TRAN

The revolution has begun
House Mixes On-Line now @ Facebook

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:00 am

longjohns wrote:assuming that we're laughing at a white person 'trying to be black',

imagine for a minute the opposite situation, making fun of a black person 'trying to be white' by being a successful lawyer in a 3 piece suit, etc.
LJ - you're right.

but

White People Suck

:P

The hip hop look is better than the 80s with the hair bands and Pat Benetar leotards.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:45 am

here's an interesting tid bit...

notice the fake, photshop bling sparkles on all their sterling silver jewelry that makes it look like platinum ?

DJ Shiva used to get paid to put that crap on really bad local rap show/album flyers.

needless to say, she left that occupation and now makes a plentiful living soliciting help on internet forums. Apparantly mentioning her gender in the title is the secret to being a money maker.

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:47 am

*bites nails and says in soft submissive voice* can any of you big strong men help me plug in my pcimcia soundcard to this hot wet cardbus slot?

ahem.
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:48 am

djshiva wrote:*bites nails and says in soft submissive voice* can any of you big strong men help me plug in my pcimcia soundcard to this hot wet carbus slot?

ahem.
is the cardbus slot shaven ?

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:52 am

AdamJay wrote:
here's an interesting tid bit...

notice the fake, photshop bling sparkles on all their sterling silver jewelry that makes it look like platinum ?

DJ Shiva used to get paid to put that crap on really bad local rap show/album flyers.

needless to say, she left that occupation and now makes a plentiful living soliciting help on internet forums. Apparantly mentioning her gender in the title is the secret to being a money maker.
the funniest part is that they would bring in some crap polaroid of some oldsmobile beater, and want us to photoshop rims and hos on the car.

and i remember thinking, "well, pimp daddy bignutz, if you are such a pimp, why am i scanning pics of hot girls to put on your car? where the hos at? and it's awful tough to put rims on the cinderblocks currently holding up your car."

the beauty of it all, was getting even by using shading to draw in a crotch bulge on one of the women on an album cover. so he wanted hos, but he got a tranny instead. and he never. even. fucking. noticed.

payback.
AdamJay wrote:
djshiva wrote:*bites nails and says in soft submissive voice* can any of you big strong men help me plug in my pcimcia soundcard to this hot wet carbus slot?

ahem.
is the cardbus slot shaven ?
wouldn't YOU like to know?
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25