Ableton 6??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:11 pm

Angstrom wrote:
quandry wrote:
Funkstar De Luxe wrote:What's this MAX version everyone keeps mentioning?
I think Robert and Gehard were serious max/msp users and cobbled together something in max/msp that was the grandfather of Live. At some point they decided to create a new software from scratch based on their max/msp work, and Ableton was born (thank you!!!)
I know this rumour has been around a long time, but is there anyone who has ever confirmed it?

I know Robert uses Max, but has anyone ever shown an image of this mythical beast, the missing link, or confirmed its existance?
Because, there's a big difference between the experience of trying to create a performance in Max interface inspired them to create Live, and the commonly reported "version 0.5 was built in Max".

I've never seen any concrete evidence for this.
How much evidence does history really have :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ableton_Live

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:37 pm

heh,
I'm sorry but I can't take a wiki entry as proof unless Gerhard, Robert or one of the others wrote it.

lets face it - it was probably one of us forum members who wrote that, so it would make for pretty circuitous logic to take it as proof!

for me proof would be a forum post with Robert saying "here is a picture the old Max patch which we based Live 1 on"

glu

Post by glu » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:35 pm

:D

I just screen captured live and vst or two, inverted colors in microsoft paint, cut them up, saved as bitmap, took a picture with my camera of the bitmap image on the actual screen, so it would look kind of real.
Modular, skinnable live 6!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:heh,
I'm sorry but I can't take a wiki entry as proof unless Gerhard, Robert or one of the others wrote it.

lets face it - it was probably one of us forum members who wrote that, so it would make for pretty circuitous logic to take it as proof!

for me proof would be a forum post with Robert saying "here is a picture the old Max patch which we based Live 1 on"
Well, i don't call it proof. I just don't see why it would be a lie.
How farfetched is it, to think that somebody would build an app based on their experiments in max?
Easy to believe for me, since I fell into a similar scenario....

Anyway, no facts on that wiki link. It's officially a myth :lol:

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 pm

What is MAX?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Funkstar De Luxe wrote:What is MAX?
http://www.cycling74.com/products/maxmsp

justin

Post by justin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:31 pm

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:36 pm

glu wrote::D

I just screen captured live and vst or two, inverted colors in microsoft paint, cut them up, saved as bitmap, took a picture with my camera of the bitmap image on the actual screen, so it would look kind of real.
Modular, skinnable live 6!
heh. very cute. Still, it's a sweet skin and maybe the Abes might wanna take a look at the sweetness oozing out of that pic!

That said, I was about to comment that the damn Impulse only had 8 cells still, but I guess I won't have to!!!

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:14 pm

I just watched the praful video on this page:

http://www.ableton.com/index/artists/praful

(click the "here" link...)

he's using live 5 and I swear the skin looks a heckofa lot like glu's....
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:23 pm

quandry wrote:I just watched the praful video on this page:

if you have a mac load live and hit control-option-command-8

this will invert the screen, like he did.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 pm

gomi wrote:
quandry wrote:I just watched the praful video on this page:

if you have a mac load live and hit control-option-command-8

this will invert the screen, like he did.
oh nevermind, he just has a custom skin.

try those keys anyways, they are fun

glu

Post by glu » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 am

M. Bréqs wrote: That said, I was about to comment that the damn Impulse only had 8 cells still, but I guess I won't have to!!!
totally, the next night, i made a 32-cell impulse.. i should have posted that too. this 8 cell shit isn'y cutting it or inspiring me to make kits. Moving from an 88 key triton to impulse has sucked in that way, 88 samples to 8? i don't wany to configure workarounds either! i want to make versitile beats damn it!! This at least sounds like a small feature request!!!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am

Angstrom wrote:
quandry wrote:
Funkstar De Luxe wrote:What's this MAX version everyone keeps mentioning?
I think Robert and Gehard were serious max/msp users and cobbled together something in max/msp that was the grandfather of Live. At some point they decided to create a new software from scratch based on their max/msp work, and Ableton was born (thank you!!!)
I know this rumour has been around a long time, but is there anyone who has ever confirmed it?

I know Robert uses Max, but has anyone ever shown an image of this mythical beast, the missing link, or confirmed its existance?
Because, there's a big difference between the experience of trying to create a performance in Max interface inspired them to create Live, and the commonly reported "version 0.5 was built in Max".

I've never seen any concrete evidence for this.
I'd say lots of audio software starts out in Max, just like lots of other software gets prototyped in something that's easy to write quickly and then gets re-written in C/C++ to add in the speed and the memory leaks and the buffer overflows and all the other wonderful features of modern software... In fact, I'd be surprised if they *hadn't* written something in something else first, and the obvious choice for prototyping an app like Live is Max/MSP.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:37 pm

it certainly makes sense and I would guess it is true, but theres a long way between conjecture and truth.

It's often quoted as truth, it would make sense as a truth, but is it the truth?

there's a big difference between
" Robert used Max a lot prior to becoming involved in creating Live "

and
" I believe some kind of prototype of Live was made in Max "

and
" Robert personally told me they made a version of the first Live in Max"

and
"Live was first made in Max"

yet, that last one is becoming the default on this subject, I wondered what the source was. Personally, I imagine they made a few experiments in Max as any Max user does, but how much this looked or behaved like Live I really don't know.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Whatever the truth is.... They'd better port that monolake step sequencer to a Live device :D

I never got it to work. But it looks very versatile.