Berlin clubs: Berghain, Tresor...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
radiance

Berlin clubs: Berghain, Tresor...

Post by radiance » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 pm

Hello,

I'm returning to Berlin this summer for the LoveParade and would like to visit some clubs.
Berghain especially. But I heard some things about it being a gay club. Is it true? Or can I go there with my girlfriend?
I also heard Tresor has a new location and will open back soon, does anyone here have more info on that?

Thanks!
Studio Electronics ATC1, Access Virus TI, Roland TR-8, Mackie Onyx 1220i, Novation SL mk2, Midisport4*4 AE / amd ryzen 1600x, 16gb DDR4, windows10 64bits

cashman

Post by cashman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:54 pm

I have just returned from Berlin and although I can't answer either of your questions, I can recommend another club called Weekend.

It' on the 12th floor of an office building and has a great view which is made all the more spectacular when the sun rises behind the DJ booth and cuts across the club!

Zuper!

PS. perhaps if you post in the 'Local' category of this forum (if you haven't already), you might get a better response.
:wink:
Last edited by cashman on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:55 pm

:o

Tresor is coming back!!?!?!?!?!?!?

looks like its time to book that trip ive been saving up for.
Self-hating american.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Berghain rocks. (panoramabar, right?)

It has a kickass underground vibe. And great old school techno (when i visited...)
I also enjoyed myself at a little club called "Bastard".

The panoramabar does has these shady corners with gay people doing gay things...
But how can you really avoid such a thing in Berlin? It's right there up on the map with Frisco... :wink:

radiance

Post by radiance » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:19 pm

Has Berghain got anything to do with Laboratory? This one looks like a gay SM club. :?
Studio Electronics ATC1, Access Virus TI, Roland TR-8, Mackie Onyx 1220i, Novation SL mk2, Midisport4*4 AE / amd ryzen 1600x, 16gb DDR4, windows10 64bits

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 pm

radiance wrote:Has Berghain got anything to do with Laboratory? This one looks like a gay SM club. :?
Dunno. Only went there once for a couple of hours. Enjoyed myself every second.
Hambone was shocked though :wink:

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:33 pm

cashman wrote:I can recommend another club called Weekend.

It' on the 12th floor of an office building and has a great view which is made all the more spectacular when the sun rises behind the DJ booth and cuts across the club!

Zuper!
There was a guy called Dixon from Berlin playing in Glasgow last Saturday at the SubClub... apparently from this high-rise club mentioned above. He was good. Even underground. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:07 am

Heh, I wouldn't go so far to say that Berghain is exclusively a gay club, but it does have a heavy gay following. If you don't mind seeing people dancing in their underwear, or witnessing the occaisional semi-descreet sex act in a corner, you should definitely go.... the club itself is in an abandoned power plant, and the setup is amazing.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:54 pm

definately check out The Panorama Bar / Berghain / Ostgut or whatever its called.

1) do not take a camera or phone with cam, they wont allow it

2) the place isnt really gay SM its more alternate lifestyle and as one of the people who took us there 'free love'

the music was really good too.. i started loving techno after i went there...

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:24 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Berghain rocks. (panoramabar, right?)

It has a kickass underground vibe. And great old school techno (when i visited...)
I also enjoyed myself at a little club called "Bastard".

The panoramabar does has these shady corners with gay people doing gay things...
But how can you really avoid such a thing in Berlin? It's right there up on the map with Frisco... :wink:
but if you go to Bastard be sure to find your own spliff bearing MILF :wink:

Panorama is definite experience to have - if just for the setting alone - so apocalyptic - it fully seemed like the sort of club they would have gone to in half life 2 or matrix
but dont go if you're easily shocked

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:32 pm

haha have fun at tresor!!!!

Last edited by err_fatale on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Yeah Panoramabar is one of the best places to go..great people, and great music..if in berlin its a must!!

http://www.myspace.com/panoramabar 8O :D 8O :D

radiance

Post by radiance » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:10 pm

I went to Berlin for the first time in 2000. I went back there in 2001, 2002 and 2004. Every time I got there I maanged to attend as many TRESOR parties as I could, that place was like heaven on Earth for me.
I went back to Berlin earlier this month. I knew Tresor was closed, yet I had heard of another great club: Berghain. I headed there with my girlfriend on a friday night to see Kaito and Gui Boratto live, and guess what? The bouncer didn't let us in (a total moron if you ask me, looked like a punk and a junkie).
"You two, no" (so his friend translated to me). That's it, no further explaination. What's "wrong" with me? Why didn't he let us in?
I have to say that I'm very disappointed. I've travelled all over Europe to hear the music I like, to go to the clubs that make me dream. I remember the old parties at Tresor where EVERYBODY could get in. And now what? I can't even enter that so called "best club in Berlin"?
I tried to discuss with him, he didn't even look at me.
I've always hated door selection, that makes me sick. Be sure that I'll let all the people around me know about this.
That's not the Berlin I used to know.
I hope things will get better when Tresor opens back. I hope everybody will be able to enter and dance together, just as it used to be.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 pm

radiance wrote:I went to Berlin for the first time in 2000. I went back there in 2001, 2002 and 2004. Every time I got there I maanged to attend as many TRESOR parties as I could, that place was like heaven on Earth for me.
I went back to Berlin earlier this month. I knew Tresor was closed, yet I had heard of another great club: Berghain. I headed there with my girlfriend on a friday night to see Kaito and Gui Boratto live, and guess what? The bouncer didn't let us in (a total moron if you ask me, looked like a punk and a junkie).
"You two, no" (so his friend translated to me). That's it, no further explaination. What's "wrong" with me? Why didn't he let us in?
I have to say that I'm very disappointed. I've travelled all over Europe to hear the music I like, to go to the clubs that make me dream. I remember the old parties at Tresor where EVERYBODY could get in. And now what? I can't even enter that so called "best club in Berlin"?
I tried to discuss with him, he didn't even look at me.
I've always hated door selection, that makes me sick. Be sure that I'll let all the people around me know about this.
That's not the Berlin I used to know.
I hope things will get better when Tresor opens back. I hope everybody will be able to enter and dance together, just as it used to be.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

classic.

For more madcap Berghain antics, read about 2/3rds of the way down the rant:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 331#203331

sqook

Post by sqook » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:44 pm

radiance wrote:I went to Berlin for the first time in 2000. I went back there in 2001, 2002 and 2004. Every time I got there I maanged to attend as many TRESOR parties as I could, that place was like heaven on Earth for me.
Did he have tattoos on his face? If so, I've been personally booted by him, too.

Berghain has a weird vibe these days. From what I understand, Tresor was a big "tourist club"... when people were visiting berlin from other countries and wanted to see good techno, that's where they'd go. As a result of this, a lot of the locals avoided that club unless the lineup was really worth it.... To that extent, Berghain wants to retain their "underground" reputation, and so they've been known to boot people for no good reason. It's annoying, but basically unless you're gay or female, they might arbitrarily bounce you.

Anyways, tresor is definitely dead (despite what some people might say), and I think Berghain is a bit overrated. However, there's plenty of other good clubs in this town to go to.