Black Skins for Ableton Live (updated - pack of 7 skins) :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm

LJ Martin wrote:And please let us know when you sort out clip colours

Thanks
As soon as I find some time :)

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Anyone know a good hex editor for windows?

Thanks,
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Great job.

I've been working on 3 black skins since that photoshoped version showed up a few days ago. :)

I'm still not happy with mine - need more tweaking. Now that these are posted, I'm not sure if I should finish mine or not. Probably will for the fun of it.

For those interested, do a search in the forum for skins. You'll find links to a number of customized versions and some limited instructions on how to do it yourself.

James

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Kodama wrote:Sweet!

Any Variations on this you wanna make (green, grey, etc..) would be appreciated also :D
er, like this one?

>> Angstrom Green-grey <<

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm

womoma wrote:he cant do clip colours yet? tell him to PM me
thanks womoma :) but i know that. i got everything "documented" in my note pad so know exactly "what is what" 8)

Anyway, Thanks again :)

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Angstrom wrote:nice skin klinical,
you worked the hex out then eh!
It's a bit daft that we all have to do it individually - but it makes us look like tough he-men ;)

really though - it's a bit mad that each of us has to spend a few hours with a pencil and pad saying, I wonder what this word controls!

lets hope Live6 puts the power for bad design choices directly in the hands of the users. :)

NOTE: to those that don't know
anyone who figures out how the skins work is not allowed to tell anyone else because it contravenes the EULA. that was the offical word on this.
Yes it is a little pain to do it all in hex :? But again it's more fun to do something that not everyone else can or want to do :)

Some skin editor would be nice.

Peace.

nz

Post by nz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Thanks so much! I love it!!

My only wish is that you can color the clips as you normally can and maybe make the record button red.

Great job and thanks again!
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:08 pm

Klinikal wrote: And about clip colors: I think i will work something out :)
l

cool man, i would love to be able to use this but without the colors on the clips its very impractical, cant really mix with it i tried

would make a killer stage skin if you fix that

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 pm

I just checked.

Looks like you couldn't find the text parameter for the midi editing keyboard either. Try loading a midi clip and view the property panel keyboard to edit notes to see what I mean. I've scoured the parameters and just can't find it. It must share a parameter with something else.

I'm really torn there. Black is great but I need to be able to read everything - particular with drum kits. Right now, I've leaned toward a dark grey interior panel to provide a little more contrast. I also wanted to retain some clip color varations and muted some parameters etc...

Someone asked about which hex editor? I'm using "HexEditor" on Panther. I don't think that violates our understanding with Ableton - see below.

In short, to those interested, it's not easy. He's not exagerating about how long it takes. There are many parameters and they affect each other. Don't go tinkering around unless you make a back up.

Sadly, we're not allowed to share specific information about how this is done. If anyone has questions, PLEASE do a SEARCH and read the many previously detailed threads on the subject.

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:13 pm

What hex editor is everyone using?

I have some downtime and would love to mess with this as well.
this is the best one i've come across, by far... not just for hex editing, but for all manners of programming:

http://www.pspad.com/en/

AND!!! Best of all, it's FREE!!!!

:twisted:

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Klinikal wrote:

Thanks
Hi Klinikal,

Do these skins work in Live v 2.0 or do we need to be running a later, more current version like 5?

Anyways, they look great. Would love to use them when I get home from work. Just wnated to see if they work or not...

(Your going to be more popular then Diana ("Help I'm a Girl") Ayana real soon I think)...

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:19 pm

thelike5 wrote:
Klinikal wrote:

Thanks
Hi Klinikal,

Do these skins work in Live v 2.0 or do we need to be running a later, more current version like 5?

Anyways, they look great. Would love to use them when I get home from work. Just wnated to see if they work or not...

(Your going to be more popular then Diana ("Help I'm a Girl") Ayana real soon I think)...
I do not know that thelike5.

Cheers.

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:25 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:I just checked.

Looks like you couldn't find the text parameter for the midi editing keyboard either. Try loading a midi clip and view the property panel keyboard to edit notes to see what I mean. I've scoured the parameters and just can't find it. It must share a parameter with something else.

I'm really torn there. Black is great but I need to be able to read everything - particular with drum kits. Right now, I've leaned toward a dark grey interior panel to provide a little more contrast. I also wanted to retain some clip color varations and muted some parameters etc...

Someone asked about which hex editor? I'm using "HexEditor" on Panther. I don't think that violates our understanding with Ableton - see below.

In short, to those interested, it's not easy. He's not exagerating about how long it takes. There are many parameters and they affect each other. Don't go tinkering around unless you make a back up.

Sadly, we're not allowed to share specific information about how this is done. If anyone has questions, PLEASE do a SEARCH and read the many previously detailed threads on the subject.
Yes. You're right. There are many parameters wich are shared. That's why i made this second version where You can see the lines going from midi notes. It's all about compromise beetwen good design and usability :?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:26 pm

thelike5 wrote: Do these skins work in Live v 2.0 or do we need to be running a later, more current version like 5?
the format changed after live3 I think, the skins aren't backward compatible
Last edited by Angstrom on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 pm

supster wrote:
Klinikal wrote: And about clip colors: I think i will work something out :)
l

cool man, i would love to be able to use this but without the colors on the clips its very impractical, cant really mix with it i tried

would make a killer stage skin if you fix that

addtionally:

imo if the colors are too bright against the skin, they will kill your eyes thereby also making it really unpractical to use

which is the main problem with most of the alt skins ive seen ... they're too garish and hard to look at

some pastel muted colors would pop out fine against this and make it possibly best skin ever.

EDIT: Like angstroms

also: transport indicator in the clips is also black, making it impossible to see. so you really have a hard time knowing where your at

not wanting to be nitpicky, but these are things that make a difference between a skin thats used, and one that sits collecting dust with all the others :)

Last edited by supster on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com