Tracktion vs. Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
deva

Post by deva » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:32 pm

I own Tracktion and Live. Tracktion has 64bit summing which some people claim, when summing many tracks, can, potentially, sound cleaner. Some have claimed they can hear the difference. Others say they can hear no difference.

I am no technical sound expert, but reading various threads on the forums of various hosts, the discussions about which host(s) sound better than others is never conclusive. This is after various tests by expert individuals. My conclusion after reading such discussions is that if the differences are small enough that nobody can agree, then they are small enough that I do not have to care about it.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:41 pm

OK here's a solution if you're so concerned about some stupid bits and bytes:

1. Compose your music in Live
2. Render each track
3. Load tracks into Tracktion
4. Render final output

This is what I do, only in Pro Tools. I'd render in Live in my studio, but the other studio has Pro Tools and a whole shitload of Neve gear I'd be missing out on. ;)

Spacerboy

Post by Spacerboy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:50 pm

deva wrote:I own Tracktion and Live. Tracktion has 64bit summing which some people claim, when summing many tracks, can, potentially, sound cleaner. Some have claimed they can hear the difference. Others say they can hear no difference.

I am no technical sound expert, but reading various threads on the forums of various hosts, the discussions about which host(s) sound better than others is never conclusive. This is after various tests by expert individuals. My conclusion after reading such discussions is that if the differences are small enough that nobody can agree, then they are small enough that I do not have to care about it.
thanks for this one!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 pm

well, to throw another monkey wrench into the argument.........

I had always found tracktion to be dull and lifeless compared to other hosts. There was some mention of it being the default master volume, but that didn't improve it for me.

Actually, live is one of the hosts that I think "sums" the best. I can mix in live and things "fall" into place mostly. Tracktion has always sounded "cluttered" and un-mixable.

Tracktion could have been the next big thing, but mackie entered and that was the end of that.

To my ears......and it's just me........ptools is the cleanest, followed by logicpro, then live...........