bands using live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kalimnixon

bands using live?

Post by kalimnixon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 am

can any one tell me of any good bands using live other than the ones on the artists page?

drummond

Post by drummond » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24 am

My band use Live. But that question depends on whether you think we're good or not :D

As for established bands...one called 65daysofstatic use Live on stage - electronic beats/post-rock kinda stuff, extremely good. www.65daysofstatic.com

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:58 am

Cool stuff..... Why the hell no singer tho? Their style of music is the type of
thing where the fans all listen to singers..... Could go far with a good voice.

-Ben

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:47 pm

my band, mixed bag, uses Live too, but like drummond said....

My favorite act using Live is Sound Tribe Sector 9 (they are actually on the artists page), they are actually my favorite band to see period. They started as a fairly "typical" lineup of drums, bass, guitar, keys, and percussion--no computers. Over time, they have begun using computers to trigger samples and sequences on-stage, eventually leading to the point where there are 4 g4's on stage running Live and they are using vsts Live. Each instrumentalist is still playing their "normal" instrument most of the time, but Live has really helped expand their sound.

http://www.sts9.com
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Here's a few more: members of these bands use Live

Radiohead
Lenny Kravitz band
Black Eyed Peas Band
Rolling Stones
Dixie Chicks

Check out Pole & his band, String Cheese Incident, just heard about the Grateful Dead using live to fly in Jerry Garcia's solos -- the title for this story is easy: Live Brings Back the Dead ;)

Tons more, unfortunately we're not allowed to do artist stories on a lot of these guys...
Best,
Jesse

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Oh yeah, I can't believe I spaced this. My friend, Bobby Read, plays sax with Bruce Hornsby's band. He uses an electronic wind instrument to play vsts inside Live 5 on stage, and also plays his saxes through Live for the effects (delays, verbs, etc) and to loop parts in Live. He's got a cool custom midi harmonizer box that a dude in Germany built for him, so he can get intelligent harmonies on his ewi (intelligent meaning that you can tell it what scale you are in). Anyhow, not only is he using Live onstage, but Bruce, the other keyboardist, and the drummer are using live. The drummer uses it to trigger prerecoded loops, the second keyboardist triggers loops/samples and uses vst, Bruce uses vst. It says something about Live when a somewhat "traditional" and "normal" band is using four laptops on stage!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:19 pm

One of my students recently saw Craig David at Wembley and sent me a text from the gig to inform me that the keyboard player was using Ableton on stage in that gig.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:31 pm

John Scofield's rhythm guitarist uses live to trigger beats (he's part of the John Scofield Band). For those unaquainted with Scofield, he's only like the best jazz guitarist (or guitarist, period) on earth right now.

STS9 is a must see as well.

Does Radiohead really use live? Where'd you hear/read this? I'm seeing them in a few days and need to know as they're my favorite band of all time. (Anyone heard Thom Yorke's new album "The Eraser"? Holy shit! is it awesome).
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:46 pm

kramerica wrote:John Scofield's rhythm guitarist uses live to trigger beats (he's part of the John Scofield Band). For those unaquainted with Scofield, he's only like the best jazz guitarist (or guitarist, period) on earth right now.
I've seen him a few times, and was kindof let down the most recent time. He is definitely great, no doubt, but in terms of jazz guitarists I'd have to vote for the often underrated and unknown Ernest Ranglin from Jamaica. He's been around a long time, and most releases with him on it are in the reggae/ska/island flavor, but the jazz chops come through--he is jaw dropping--check out "below the bassline" one of my favorite albums ever. The other guitarists in a more rock/fusion vein that have literally made my jaw drop for most of the show have been Shawn Lane (with Jonas Hellborg and Jeff Sipe) and Jimmy Herring (Frogwings, Jazz is Dead--saw their first tour with Billy Cobham and Alphonso Johnson--damn that was hot!).

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:51 pm

quandry wrote:
kramerica wrote:John Scofield's rhythm guitarist uses live to trigger beats (he's part of the John Scofield Band). For those unaquainted with Scofield, he's only like the best jazz guitarist (or guitarist, period) on earth right now.
I've seen him a few times, and was kindof let down the most recent time. He is definitely great, no doubt, but in terms of jazz guitarists I'd have to vote for the often underrated and unknown Ernest Ranglin from Jamaica. He's been around a long time, and most releases with him on it are in the reggae/ska/island flavor, but the jazz chops come through--he is jaw dropping--check out "below the bassline" one of my favorite albums ever. The other guitarists in a more rock/fusion vein that have literally made my jaw drop for most of the show have been Shawn Lane (with Jonas Hellborg and Jeff Sipe) and Jimmy Herring (Frogwings, Jazz is Dead--saw their first tour with Billy Cobham and Alphonso Johnson--damn that was hot!).
thanks for the suggestion. I will check him out.

I can promise you that you won't be let down this fall, however, when Scofield and MMW (Medeski Martin and Wood - the best jazz/ funk band on the planet) release an album together. MMW collab'd on Scofield's "A Go Go" years back and it was stellar. Now they're back and will be putting out an album and touring this fall (my roommate has been in contact with Scofield's manager regarding this - the months are certain, but not the exact dates).

Best tour of the year, behind Radiohead, IMO.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

cashman

Post by cashman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:08 pm

quandry wrote:Oh yeah, I can't believe I spaced this. My friend, Bobby Read, plays sax with Bruce Hornsby's band. He uses an electronic wind instrument to play vsts inside Live 5 on stage, and also plays his saxes through Live for the effects (delays, verbs, etc) and to loop parts in Live. He's got a cool custom midi harmonizer box that a dude in Germany built for him, so he can get intelligent harmonies on his ewi (intelligent meaning that you can tell it what scale you are in). Anyhow, not only is he using Live onstage, but Bruce, the other keyboardist, and the drummer are using live. The drummer uses it to trigger prerecoded loops, the second keyboardist triggers loops/samples and uses vst, Bruce uses vst. It says something about Live when a somewhat "traditional" and "normal" band is using four laptops on stage!
Mmm...EWI!!! I've wanted one since before I knew what MIDI was! 8)
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:09 pm

cashman wrote:Mmm...EWI!!! I've wanted one since before I knew what MIDI was! 8)
It is pretty sweet going through that harmonizer box and into Live. He's using a lot of reaktor patches he's made and some of Live's effect--he can get some wicked sounds, pretty much anything you can imagine. And with the expressiveness that breath offers, the sound and attack is different than just playing the same patches with a keyboard.

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:14 pm

my friends' band uses live.

Generation Rx

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:50 pm

kramerica wrote: thanks for the suggestion. I will check him out.

I can promise you that you won't be let down this fall, however, when Scofield and MMW (Medeski Martin and Wood - the best jazz/ funk band on the planet) release an album together. MMW collab'd on Scofield's "A Go Go" years back and it was stellar. Now they're back and will be putting out an album and touring this fall (my roommate has been in contact with Scofield's manager regarding this - the months are certain, but not the exact dates).

Best tour of the year, behind Radiohead, IMO.
Yeah, the "A Go Go" album is the best thing MMW have done and the best thing Scofields done in decades, not surprising their getting back together, hope its as good as the first. Have you seen MMW play much live? I've seen them at lest seven or more times over the last ten years and I swear I like it less and less everytime. Their sets are all over the place--they go from some of the best funky grooves you'll hear for about two minutes then launch into a self-indulegent noise fest "free jazz" wankery for ten minutes, then come back to a super-tight groove for a bit, then off to never-never land again. drives me bonkers, and unless you are whacked out of your gourd (which I don't do) you can dance to their noise fest. Don't get me wrong, they are great players, and I actually listen to free jazz like Ornette, Sun Ra, and Pharoah, but MMW "free" is just too abrasive for me. The best show I've ever seen with Medeski on keys is him as a sideman with Club D'Elf, relegated to play real music with a groove all night. Hopefully the Scofield album and tour will result in more groove-based shows and less self-indulgence.

Anyhow, if you like MMW's groove funk side, check out my favorite jazz/funk bands, Soulive, The Benevento/Russo Duo (these guys are incredible, mind-blowing), Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, The Steve Kimock Band, The Slip, and the Greyboy All-Stars.
Last edited by quandry on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 pm

guilty.
click below.
up to your taste, tho, just like the other folks...
i think this forum has many great unknown live-using bands, myself.
cheers