MacBook Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eki_13

MacBook Pro

Post by eki_13 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:05 pm

How's it going everyone? I'm new here!
Just got my MacBook Pro and I want to get rid of all the applications already installed on it, except the critical one's that run the OS. I'm only going to be using it for Ableton Live. Can anyone please tell me few tips, this is my first time using apple. Thanks in advance! :lol:
Live 5.2, MacBook Pro 2.0 15" OSX 2GB RAM, Roland MC909, Evolution MK-225C, 2xCDJ 1000 MK2's, DJM 909, EFX 1000, Korg ER-1, Electribe Amk2...

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:56 pm

A few good apps to look for:

• MacJanitor (Keeps log files smaller. Be sure to read the system requirements)

• Monolingual (Removes foreign language files that you don't need. Will free up as much as 1 GB of HD Space. Use carefully)

• Spotless (Turns off the Spotlight App. Spotlight keeps everything on your HD indexed for faster searches, but eats up sytem resources. I love it. Some hate it. If you are organized, you won't really need Spotlight.)

Versiontracker.com is the place to find almost all utilities outy there, including these.

Oh, and get Applecare on your new toy if you haven't already. Worth EVERY penny and will up the resail value if you ever decide to upgrade after 2 years (Will leave 1 year left on your warranty: makes selling MUCH easier).

BTW: You can install Windows on it, but be careful logging on to the Internet in Windows. But you probably new that.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

gomi

Re: MacBook Pro

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:04 pm

eki_13 wrote:How's it going everyone? I'm new here!
Just got my MacBook Pro and I want to get rid of all the applications already installed on it, except the critical one's that run the OS. I'm only going to be using it for Ableton Live. Can anyone please tell me few tips, this is my first time using apple. Thanks in advance! :lol:
you don't need to get rid of anything.
but's it's pretty safe to delete anything in the Applications folder that you
think you won't be usings (I'd leave all the utils until you figure out what they do)

there is no uninstall, simply drag the apps to the trash and then empty the
trash..

never delete anything in the System folder, and don't delete anything in Library
unless you've done your research and know what it's for.

here is a good site for finding things

www.macosxhints.com

welcome to the new world.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:06 pm

kabuki wrote: • Spotless (Turns off the Spotlight App. Spotlight keeps everything on your HD indexed for faster searches, but eats up sytem resources. I love it. Some hate it. If you are organized, you won't really need Spotlight.)
this is totally bogus.
it only uses resources to index the drives, once they are indexed it only consults
the .Spotlight files when you actually do a search.

Disabling spotlight disable all find and search features in all apps that use
the finder for searching.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:14 pm

If you have not already set your machine up with all of your existing apps. and data then wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install. If you do a custom install you can leave out all of the languages and printer drivers which will free up some hard drive space, and the OS will install in about 10 minutes this way.

I leave spotlight and dashboard enabled on all of my machines and have no problems.

Also, like the above poster said, you can just drag all of the apps, iPhoto, iCal, etc.., you don't want to the trash can, but there really isn't any reason for it, its not going to make your system faster.

And def stay away from the Library and system folders till you know what you are doing. And NEVER delete system fonts.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:31 pm

I recommend ONYX (free) and Disc Warrior ($80).

I think Onyx is already universal. Not sure about Disc Warrior.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Also, reduce colors to thousands.

studio615

Post by studio615 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Go to http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download5366.html and download "Appzapper". It is a true uninstaller for mac, it gets rid of all files associated with an app. I've been using it for a couple of months now and love it. It costs around $13, totally worth it imho. Dashboard uses some ram, so if you don't use it turn it off, you can find several apps for free that will do it for you. I use spotlight and it excellent for searching for files. Once you get a huge folder of loops and samples this becomes your friend. I would keep it on.

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:33 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:Also, reduce colors to thousands.
While I belive this was the shiznit some 8-10 years ago, I hardly believe there's any use for it today since most graphics card operate natively (or how should I say it.. thy do it by default) in 24-bit.

Can you give me the reason behind reducing the screen bit depth to 16-bit?
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:39 pm

I have actually seen a bit of Live improvements on my Powerbook (About 6%), 1.5 with Spotless, and any bit helps. But then again, it ain't a Macbook Pro...

Might as well keep Spotlight on.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:02 pm

frahnque wrote:
While I belive this was the shiznit some 8-10 years ago, I hardly believe there's any use for it today since most graphics card operate natively (or how should I say it.. thy do it by default) in 24-bit.

protools still recommends it too.
weird!

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:04 pm

gomi wrote:
frahnque wrote:

weird!
Really strange, there might be something to it - what it is though, is beyond me.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:40 pm

studio615 wrote:Go to http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download5366.html and download "Appzapper".
Tried this, it's handy BUT beware to check you're only deleting relevant items, I've seen it pick up prefs from a diff but necessary ver. of an app. It's only marginally more effort to type the app name into spotlight and just delete app, prefs etc yourself anyways and know you've got the right ones. If you want an essential audio utility to buy I'd say AudioFinder, check the demo at http://www.icedaudio.com/
For a great free cloning util so you can back up your OS once you have it all set up peachy check http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:45 pm

word on the street is that Super Duper! is the mac cloner to beat...
there's a free version, and a commercial version. The free one works perfect, just you cant use scheduling functions http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/ ... ption.html
spreader of butter

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:28 pm

frahnque wrote:
gomi wrote:
frahnque wrote: While I belive this was the shiznit some 8-10 years ago, I hardly believe there's any use for it today since most graphics card operate natively (or how should I say it.. thy do it by default) in 24-bit.

weird!
Really strange, there might be something to it - what it is though, is beyond me.
most likely the reason is that digidesign can barely get protools to be compatible with audio hardware, they don't even want to bother with stuff like video cards and displays.