Attn: Abe's Re: Linux /Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4amStudios

Attn: Abe's Re: Linux /Ableton

Post by 4amStudios » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:01 pm

If I were to start an online poll garnering support for an Ableton port for Linux , and the results were very positive , could we maybe get some talk of a port going ?

I am a longtime OSX user , who has moved to PC and loving some Linux , and would love to continue to use my software on my new OS . I have spoke on a few boards regarding this , and I hear some serious interest. :?:

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:56 pm

Sure!

...if you port drivers for all our different audio interfaces as well. And USB controllers... And...

Regards,
Mikael

4amStudios

Post by 4amStudios » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:58 pm

I know , a huge task indeed. But with JACK ....

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:00 pm

4amStudios wrote:I know , a huge task indeed. But with JACK ....
Jack who?

dascientist

Post by dascientist » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:37 pm

If it's on Mac OS it shouldn't be THAT hard to port to at least BSD
since the new Mac OS is based on BSD.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:49 pm

I hear ya, it's been discussed many times. I used to be a big advocate of the idea, but I'm no longer too concerned with it.

I like the idea of Ableton being the first major DAW available in Mac, Win, and Penguin. Being among the first companies to release a univeral binary for the MacIntel got the Abes a lot of great publicity. Even my Linux obssesed father out in the middle of nowhere New Mexico heard about that. I think the idea of a universal app is really cool.

I also think a linux release would greatly benefit the more tech-savvy pros who use Live in a live music setting. Live is famous for being stable on stage, and a linux release would make a crash even more unlikely.

But, if you really look at it, a linux release would go against some of the tenets that make Live what it is. When you present a commercial application and promote it as being compatible with all VST instuments, you don't want to introduce a version of the software that won't be compatible with most of the VST instruments out there. In a nutshell, a linux release would complicate the essence of what makes Live stand out, it would rob it of its simplicity.

MR Coogs

Post by MR Coogs » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 pm

I feel lucky we have a up to date Mac version.