tiny XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 pm

It took me about 10 minutes to find tinyxp and download it. :D

I'm curious because if it works I am pretty certain it will be a hell of a lot faster than installing XP and doing all the tweaks, Windows is a big bloater and there is much more to how fast it runs than how many services there are running. The size of the registry is a factor for example.

These hackers are usually gamers game=real time app what's good for games is good for audio!

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:38 am

stinky wrote:I have no problem with that... at least you're being honest.. personally, i could care less what you do... there's nothing preventing you from installing it on as many machines as you like, but don't even think about updating using automatic updates, lest you find yourself in this kind of predicament:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84
cheers for the link, I've only read a bit so far....but its for reasons such as WGA that I feel no remorse in paying for one windows licence only, even if I intend to put it on another machine. I'm just one man, I'll pay for one licence. No one else will be using my machines, just me. course I know the law is against me, but morally speaking I see it as fair enough....

its different with software I really respect. I have 0 respect for microsoft tho.

debu

Post by debu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:13 am

I've been using this for a while on my DAW and it's damn snappy.. Previously I'd been using my regular version of XP stripped down using black viper tweaks and then some. The tiny version smokes the other version, It feels like menus open before you even click on them. I should have done a test to see the difference in Live.
The only problem I had was with midi, I had to take some files from my original xp disc and add them onto the tiny xp install. It's def worth checking out.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 am

this sounds great...
i wonder if it can be used with a mactel XP installation ?

debu

Post by debu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 am

on the mactel if you try it post the results here, I have one on the way and I'd like to know this as well..

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:10 am

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:13 am

debu wrote:I've been using this for a while on my DAW and it's damn snappy.. Previously I'd been using my regular version of XP stripped down using black viper tweaks and then some. The tiny version smokes the other version, It feels like menus open before you even click on them. I should have done a test to see the difference in Live.
The only problem I had was with midi, I had to take some files from my original xp disc and add them onto the tiny xp install. It's def worth checking out.
Whoah that sounds really good! Will have to try that. Was it a big drama with the MIDI or did it just ask for certain files?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FRHDHNAY

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:17 am

so I found this thing floating around out there in about 10 seconds flat.

I just tried to restore my pc and my restore disks aren't working right. should I use tinyxp? it's a laptop.... compaq presario 1700... am I going to have driver problems?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 am

Yeah, I smelled a rat with that WGA bidnez from the git go. So far, I've opted out of that b*llsh*t. They're gonna have to drag me in kicking and screaming... :evil: -then I'll def switch to a Mac. Been thinkin' of doing that anyway... once they get the intelMacs to cool down a bit.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:41 am

compaq presario 1700... am I going to have driver problems?
not if you download all the drivers from hp's site...

give it a go, you've got nothing to lose now... just wondering, what problems did you have restoring? what software were u using?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:45 am

oh I found out halfway through the restore process that my restore disk 2 doesn't work anymore. so now I have a computer with nothing on it, no operating system, no fun.

I'm downloading a tinyxp.iso now.... do I just burn that to disk and then boot up my pc with it in the drive?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:46 am

do I just burn that to disk and then boot up my pc with it in the drive?
yep...

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:47 am

Yeah, I smelled a rat with that WGA bidnez from the git go. So far, I've opted out of that b*llsh*t. They're gonna have to drag me in kicking and screaming... Evil or Very Mad -then I'll def switch to a Mac. Been thinkin' of doing that anyway... once they get the intelMacs to cool down a bit.
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?stor ... 9160018237

looks like you're not the only one..

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

debu wrote:The only problem I had was with midi, I had to take some files from my original xp disc and add them onto the tiny xp install.
if you use revision 3 (like me - but i customized that version for 2 weeks using nlite ;)) there are no problems at all with midi. it needs a bit more ram though (approx. 70mb) as it isn't stripped so much, but works rock solid and very fast.

debu

Post by debu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:37 pm

yeah midi wasn't a big deal adding files, it's nice to know it got sorted on the newer revisions, I'll have to look into those....