ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:42 am

one more thing...

i love all these cute little stories you guys come up with about milk and gas. here's one i feel illustrates the situation more accurately, i believe.

grandpa loves to eat chocolate ice cream while strolling down the block on hot days. the ice cream always melts and even stains the sidewalk a bit until the next rain comes. one day fascist pigs led by george bush the third take over the country and proclaim that eating chocolate ice cream while walking on sidewalks on hot days a menace to the sidewalk infastructure and threaten to ban ice cream completely, except in the case of an emergency, which of course is acceptable. so grandpa just can't stop living life how he enjoys and continues to enjoy his chocolate ice cream on hot days and, though less frequently, is still seen walking the sidewalks. he knows his day is coming, but keeps his head up, he keeps doing what he believes in...until he is picked up by the police. he isn't really put to a proper trial, but there is ultimately a community action commitee put together to verbally put grandpa in his place. for hours he is ridiculed and defamed and he is frightened of how the people have changed. it's funny because in the end nothing happens to grandpa. it becomes obvious to george bush the third that his law is not enforcible, because the day he takes the ice cream away from grandpa is the same day legions of supporters become too frightened to buy into his narrow and fascist views. and george bush the third realises he is a lame duck just like his ancestors and that initial power means nothing when people become fearful of that power. people organize. grandopa knows that and you can still watch him eating and dripping his ice cream on the sidewalk once a month...like clockwork.

good night.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:03 am

explain how they are in violation of the liscence agreement? does the liscence agreement say anywhere in it that you can activate your program 600 times at any given moment night or day or weekend or holiday?

probably not. so they are not in violation of anything.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Sasha

Post by Sasha » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 am

Get over yourself Steve-O.

For one thing, you spelled interrogated incorrectly during your pathetic attempt at making Dom look like some sort of unreasonable authority figure.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get an email from Dom, Alex, or Robert saying "Here is your money back, just use the cracks, you've wasted enough of our time as it is, now you are wasting bandwidth on our forum."

Okay, well honestly i would be surprised because they are more professional than that. But I'm sure that deep down Ableton is sick and fucking tired of dealing with your monthly challenge code response.

Your actions are suspicious and that makes YOU suspicious. If you cannot see that then you've got far worse problems than your compulsion to reformat your computer every time your aunt flo visits your mom.

So do us all a favor and leave.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:06 am

see your story doesn't make any sense either cause there aren't legions of people upset about this. only you. maybe a problem here and there over it but you're the only one that is complaining.

honostly why don't you go out and get a crack for ableton. it wouldn't be illegal cause you do have an actual lisence to use it but if you get a crack then you won't have to authorize it through them and both parties win.
I don't condone using cracks of course I'm just saying that since you do actually own the software this might be a circumstance that would help you avoid the hassle you're having.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

kanker

Post by kanker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 am

darthstephen who?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:11 am

someone call the WAAAAAHHmbulance.

johnisfaster makes some great points.
If you are going to act shady and ask for an unlock once a month, then you shouldn't have a problem using cracks.

Personally, i would have cut you off at about 8 unlocks, but thats probably why i don't work for Ableton. :P

kanker

Post by kanker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:15 am

you mean the WHAMbulance?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:17 am

oh Kanker...

why must you always
on a perfectly good thread.

tsk tsk

kanker

Post by kanker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:28 am

Rx

Post by Rx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:32 am

darthstephen wrote:do you actually have a comment on this or why ableton should or shouldn't look at these options? maybe a personal preference? or do you just want to re-iterate the same thing that was said 13 pages ago?
no comment whatsoever as i, like the most people, don't waste time reformatting my computer monthly. and i didn't bother reading the rest of the thread, as i can imagine what the responses were. i've just never read of such an absurd complaint before. there's a monty python skit in here somewhere.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

dj donnyman

Post by dj donnyman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:09 am

j0shu@ wrote:
darthstephen wrote:, expiration of online unlocks,
WTF does this mean, expiration of the unlock?

copy protection is a pain. but kind of like wearing a seatbelt, or health insurance, you really should get used to it...

and as far as i know, if you dont replace any major hardware, you can use the same unlock on a reinstalled OS, without cloning. someone correct me if im wrong..
Your absolutely correct I've done it twice already.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:10 am

I thought of the perfect analogy for this problem. and it's not a funny one like the milk one.

some cities have laws about cruising.(the act of driving around and around... you know... cruising) and in areas that have these laws you're only allowed to pass by a certain point ever so often without being suspected of cruising and then you get a ticket. my sister went to the store once and then come home and realised she had to go to the store again. she got pulled over and they let her off with a warning.(so my sister is playing stephen... got pulled over and let off with a warning) so she doesn't drive back and forth on that stip too many times anymore. it's silly but you just gotta follow those rules to keep from being pulled over. but if she just decided to go back and forth all the time then she should expect to get pulled over repeatedly because thats the law.

you can only pass this point so many times before you're suspected to be cruising. you're only allowed to unlock live so many times before youre suspected of illegal activity. so if you keep doing it, then expect to get pulled over now and then.

dj donnyman

Post by dj donnyman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:18 am

Darthstephen, quit your moaning and buy yourself a license, we all know you are really just a frustrated cracker who has been sussed :lol:

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:40 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:explain how they are in violation of the liscence agreement? does the liscence agreement say anywhere in it that you can activate your program 600 times at any given moment night or day or weekend or holiday?

probably not. so they are not in violation of anything.
it doesn't say you can't. be really interesting to see what would happen, if it did. that would not be a competitive agreement.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:see your story doesn't make any sense either cause there aren't legions of people upset about this. only you. maybe a problem here and there over it but you're the only one that is complaining.

honostly why don't you go out and get a crack for ableton. it wouldn't be illegal cause you do have an actual lisence to use it but if you get a crack then you won't have to authorize it through them and both parties win.
I don't condone using cracks of course I'm just saying that since you do actually own the software this might be a circumstance that would help you avoid the hassle you're having.
i think my point was, if ableton did decide to not allow an unlock to an honest user...word would get out and people would begin to be afraid to buy their product. the general public, i mean. i know that the people on this forum don't care if someone loses the ability to use a program they paid for.

and i don't use illegal software, so the crack idea is not an option.

and...i was a little tipsy when i wrote the story. it was fun and just as accurate/inaccurate a picture of the problem as any other story in this thread.