Studio's - lets talk about 'em for a second

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Studio's - lets talk about 'em for a second

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:54 pm

So yeah, I was schooled

You really don't need all the fancy Novation SL Machinedrum MacBook ultralight jerker dual monitor business to make a jam

So yeah - Windows 2000 running through 2 dj mixers <--- I never thought about this but how do you know if your jam is pumping unless you run it through a dj mixer and mix it? So house speakers, Reason and Acid <--- you're inclined to laugh right

homies got jams on some of the bigger house labels tracks on Dan and some other big dj's last 2 mix cd's and remixes for all kinds of people - OK?

HA! Of course he recognizes the need to upgrade but he's like why?

Oh and the MPC and Filter factory are on the shelf collecting dust

We sat down yesterday and banged out a jam - well parts of a jam

but I started laughing and no disrespect to anyone but I starting laughing at all these pictures of these eloborate studios with walls and walls of shit and the newest of new CPU's and programs and these cats haven't even put out anything worth listening to

Crazy huh?

I think it's cool and just shows you it's really not the gear but how talented you actually are...your willingness to do what you have to do to get something done - and it did open my eyes up to Reason (again)

lets discuss
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:00 pm

whatever you're into man, if someone wants lots of toys - so be it. Its pretty pompous to say 'you dont need all that shit to make a hot jam'. Its up to each individual to satisfy themselves. Everyone's goal is not necessarily the same, everyone's taste in sound is not necessarily the same, everyones preferred working method is not necessarily the same.

good for you, that you've figured your own needs out.

I remember you saying that hardware was unnecessary, then you get a nord lead and you're like 'ya hardware is the shit', .... you change your mind all the time, but its all moot cos everyone is different and does their own thing - only a few people are fixated on whats 'right' or 'best' or 'necessary' ...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:06 pm

I still believe Hardware is kind of a thing of the past - fyi the Nord Lead is on the floor, unplugged

Oh I know people like to collect gear - they can afford it and don't get me wrong if $2000 landed in my bank account a Virus would end up in my spare bedroom ;)

My point is it's all about talent
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:08 pm

of course, a talented person can do wonders with a room full of hardware OR a cpu full of software.

MOOT.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Well the point of the thread wasn't to start a debate -

I was hoping to encourage some people to get off the buy buy buy upgrade upgrade upgrade train and get busy with what you got

It's nice to have things, want things dream about things

but if you stopped doing all that you might just fuck around and make a jam
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:05 pm

Four Tet is a good example of less is more. Kieran Hebden uses only Cool Edit and Audio Mulch and his music is amazing. He bought a basic sound card for his computer, a Soundbalster or something, and it came with a "free mic". You know, one of those basic plastic computer mics that they throw in for free. He liked the sound of it and ended up never buying another mic. He has recorded major artists in his London apartment having Beth Orton doing her vocal tracks on that mic, etc.

Kieran recorded some of my friend Geoff's record. My friend Geoff was confused and told me that Kieran used Live. I looked into it because I wanted to discuss Live with him but I found out otherwise. Oh well!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:10 pm

I don't know why but I think that's awesome

You hear some people say I only use _____ and you're like whatever

but then when you actually see them do it - you're like "Oh, wow..."
Last edited by djadonis206 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:10 pm

IMO, it's all about the talent. The tools are simply a means to an end.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:13 pm

hambone1 wrote:IMO, it's all about the talent. The tools are simply a means to an end.
Well put...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:18 pm

four tet is kool.....I've read that article about his working methods, however...they never mentioned anything about mastering....

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I sometimes wish I had FEWER tools. There's so much, especially in a software studio, that the possibilities are overwhelming and to me, at least, seriously get in the way of creativity and productivity.

I've configured and reconfigured again and again my 01V, Faderfox, BCR2000, FCB1010 and Live. They were probably fine the first time.

My partner is really good at getting me to simplify things when I go off on an outrageous creative tangent. I'm getting better at doing that without her help.
Last edited by hambone1 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:23 pm

want to simplify things ?
then a hardware combo such as

machinedrum/monomachine/mpc

or

machinedrum/futureretro/mpc

the holy trinity of simplicity, imo

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Hey fellas read this

Production Tutorial

He gives some very good ideas and you can kind of see how it's done - sort of :)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:26 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:four tet is kool.....I've read that article about his working methods, however...they never mentioned anything about mastering....
After my buddy mistakenly told me he uses Live I did a lot of research on Kieran because I wanted to interview him. I remember reading somewhere that he had his stuff professionally mastered, but it was the kind of thing where it was more about the utility of the mastering process. It was pro, but they didn't mess with it at all and the masters sounded almost identical to his final mixes.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:31 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
Hatchets McGee wrote:four tet is kool.....I've read that article about his working methods, however...they never mentioned anything about mastering....
After my buddy mistakenly told me he uses Live I did a lot of research on Kieran because I wanted to interview him. I remember reading somewhere that he had his stuff professionally mastered, but it was the kind of thing where it was more about the utility of the mastering process. It was pro, but they didn't mess with it at all and the masters sounded almost identical to his final mixes.
ya...but my point is, if you are going to get something professionaly mastered - you can get away with alot of lofi working methods, mastering makes a big impact on the sound quality imo.

its kind of disengenuous (not on your part, just in general) to say 'ya - i do some fooling around with cool edit to make my album' , but omit the fact you sent it to 'mix master studios' to master it...

if yer not gonna get it professionaly mastered, i.e you're running some kind of project studio, well....thats where you start to collect more gear etc.
just a theory....