interferance with dell inspirion 8200 laptop and emi 2:6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dub exorcist

interferance with dell inspirion 8200 laptop and emi 2:6

Post by dub exorcist » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:54 pm

hello all:

i have a dell inspirion 8200 // p4/ 1.6ghz / and recently got an emi 2:6 soundcard.

i get mad crazy static when using the ac adaptor that came with my laptop and the emi 2:6.

no static when i run my laptop off its battery.
no static when pluggin headphones into the emi 2:6.

i've done a lot of problem solving, pluggin and unpluggin everything but the kitchen sink in the ole studio, and it seems to be the ac adaptor that is the problem.

anyone else have this same problem and figured out a workaround?

thanks in advance,

dub exorcist
http://www.travelensemble.com

kobayashi

Post by kobayashi » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:17 pm

i got the same prob.

here´s the way to fix it.

dell is using it´s own power cord for the adapter, it has three pins.

the one of the top of the pyramid looking connector is the ground.

don´d use the original dell cable. go for a normal 2 pin cable from a hair trimmer or a radio an use it. it will fit fine into the ac adapter-

and ur issues are gone - for shure and forever.

or simple disconnect the ground from the cable. that´s it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:38 pm

it kills the static to get rid of the ground????

hah... first time for everything i guess.

kobayashi

Post by kobayashi » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:41 pm

@guest - it´s like that.

if u dont belive, go home and play with ur dick!!!

and if u know a better way, feel free to post it, idiot -
otherwise shut up.

@ all others who read dis --- i´m sorry for that words, but i mean that in the last lime the board was spammed by a lot of idiots they request cracks, warez and stuff here or just try to piss of other guyz they just wanna help!!!

PLEASE Ableton, disable the function that non regged users can post their shit here!!!

nice greetz, kobayashi

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:02 pm

Guess what kobayashi you are an idoit.

Why the negativaty? Did i say anything about a crack or warez or anything of that nature? no.

All i did was express my suprise at the solution of getting rid of the ground as a way of stopping a buzz. Which quite frankly is a suprise. Usually buzzing occures due to something not being properly grounded. But if this is a solution fine... Why would i care if you dont have a properly grounded laptop?

Your remark is obsurd and out of place. If anything its idiots like you that are making this board sh**, not guests who post helpful and on topic replies.

kleine

Post by kleine » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:09 am

Dear forum participants,

This forum is free for everyone - we think this makes more sense than a "members" only forum. Of course it´s obviously pretty easy to march in and to ignore all rules of human communication. We all know that this happens in most online forums but i hope most people here are clever enough to behave themselves and to learn from others instead of pointless dissing.

Ch. Kleine

dub exorcist

Post by dub exorcist » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:17 pm

thanks for the tip kobayashi:

i'll givei it a shot.

cheap power supply from dell iguess . . .

peace,
ken beck
aka dub exorcist
www.dubexorcist.com

ak balance

Post by ak balance » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:39 pm

yep you sure need to behave when trying to communicate with people...

sounds like a common problem. more or less all the laptop ac adapters seem to generate some kind of electric interference through the ground wire. mine is quite loud too.

other way to solve the problem would be to use an isolation transformer (if thats the right term?). just in case of a short circuit. it isolates the ground but still cuts the power off if something bad happens with your setup. after all those ground wires are there for a reason... of course it does not save your equipment in case of a short circuit but rather protects you. and I know the 19 V from an ac adaptor is not much. but if you had an external audio interface with no external transformer and a short circuit, it would be a shame if it was also plugged with the ground connection cut. then you could have 230 V in your fingertips...

anyway in both cases you need to check if your external devices are connected with power cables that have ground connectors cause the interference will probably be be there too (cause the devices are probably ground connected together). if you use an isolation transformer, plug all your computer connected devices after the transformer and test if the interference is gone. for listening, use for example a mixer which does have groud connectors and plug it before the transformer. worked for me.

-ak

GRUFF

Post by GRUFF » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:40 pm

in the emi 2/6 manual it states that you might have this problem if your computer outputs not enough or "dirty" power through its USB.

it recomends using an AC adapter for the 2/6 if this happens. specifically the AC adapter made for the 2/6, as i think the use of any other power adapter voides your warranty.

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:18 pm

I actually ran into this problem a couple months ago... attaching an A/C adapter to the 2/6 did not work... the removal of the ground from the laptop seems like a possibility since the problem lies in a ground loop... I went to my local radio shack and bought 3 ground loop isolators and they work like a charm.. i currently have them attached to a Numark 4 ch mixer, and just ordered the new behernger DJX700 (the $200 pioneer imitator) so i would be able to free up some cpu power by running my master effects off of it...

so the easy answer.. get yourself some ground loop isolators, found at electronic stores and car audio store...

Neil

jdg

Post by jdg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:08 am

you need ground loop isolator. 15 dollar radio shack part
www.google.com

best website ever

Hexadecimal

Post by Hexadecimal » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:44 pm

Neil wrote:I actually ran into this problem a couple months ago... attaching an A/C adapter to the 2/6 did not work... [snip]
so the easy answer.. get yourself some ground loop isolators, found at electronic stores and car audio store...
Neil
Neil is correct - even if EMagic tells you to get the power supply to solve the problem with a Dell it won't help.

I have the problem in some clubs with my Inspiron 7500, but haven't ever had the problem with my 8200, even in the same clubs. Typically, I just run on batteries to avoid the issue when I connect the 7500 to the house sound.

Hexadecimal
www.freesidemusic.com

thehumanplugin

ground loop bluez (resolution remix)

Post by thehumanplugin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:51 am

I just got an Inspiron 5150 and I have the same problem but I am here to spread the word about the ultra inexpensive solution.

I went to the radio shack site for these ground loop isolator things. On the same page I saw this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... =61%2D2720

$2.49
I had a couple in my basement so I tried - YES it works!!!

So basically all it is a matter of is getting rid of the ground connection:)

PEACE!!!

dub exorcist

thanks cats!

Post by dub exorcist » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:34 pm

:lol: :oops: :D

nice to get some helpfull "feedback" to my nasty feedback question.

i rocked the $2.49 solution i.e the infamous "grounded plug adaptor" (grabbed one off the toaster in the kitchen) and voila it fuckin worked!

no more feedback!

nice and quiet now as it should be.

thanks again everyone and rock on.
ken beck
aka dub exorcist
www.dubexorcist.com