Good Drums VSTs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zirus Blackheart

Good Drums VSTs?

Post by Zirus Blackheart » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:25 pm

Hay all, stuck for drums heh.
Been playing so much with my synths and guitar rig I suddenly realised i have no decent drum loops/Kits/Vsts ect.

What do you guys use?

Free or paid for, I don`t mind :-)

I`m looking for Deep 909 type shit for trance ect and also accoustic kits :-)

Cheers :-)
The Once Great Ultima Online www.novusopiate.com

PC XPpro 2.54ghtz - 1.5gigs of RAM finaly, yay! :D Helps massivly :D

njh

Post by njh » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:33 pm

i use the ns kit and redrum

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:44 pm

check guru or battery..or buy an mpc :lol:

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:50 pm

For real sounding sampled drums BFD by Fxpansion is fantastic, even better if you have vdrums to trigger them. For electronic drums Impulse works fine. Avoid NI Battery 2 at all costs, It's buggy half finnished unsuported crap with obvious bugs that shouldn't have made it past alpha version. NI acknowledeged the bugs over a year ago but refuse to fix them. NI have gone down the crapper in recent times.
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

Zirus Blackheart

Post by Zirus Blackheart » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:38 pm

Cheers guys, all on download in demo form ect :-)

Whats "ns kit" ?

Cheers :)
The Once Great Ultima Online www.novusopiate.com

PC XPpro 2.54ghtz - 1.5gigs of RAM finaly, yay! :D Helps massivly :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Quarter ounce of Vinyl cut with Propellerheads Recycle

here read my friend tutorial

BEATS/SAMPLES
I have a huge archive of beat loops, samples and sound effects and you know how I got most of them? The old fashioned way: sampling my own record collection! You'd be amazed at how many beats and loops you can sample off your own records if you just listen for them. And once you've edited them down properly, it's pretty easy just to single out a kick or a snare from a simple beat loop. Another good thing is to scour the internet for sample archive sites. Some of them have some pretty decent stuff to offer for free. I really don't recommend sample CD ROMs that are mass produced by remix/producing services. They're usually very expensive and have mostly lame sounds and very little that's usable.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LOOP EDITING
To get the most out of a beat loop or sample: After you've edited it down to the exact part you want to use (I suggest doing this in Wavelab but a lot of people like Sound Forge), import it into a loop program like Acid Pro or Ableton Live. Once you've picked the tempo you want, export or render the desired measures (usually just 1 works fine for beats) back out into a .wav or .aif file. Now open it up in Recycle, pick the duration in the Bars and Beats section and make sure it's displaying the proper tempo. Then go to View > Show Grid and now it should be easy to slice your loops into 4ths or 8ths. You can use .rex files in most programs (Reason, Ableton, Cubase, etc.) so as long as you set up your project to the tempo you imported your loop with then your loop will sound way cleaner, tighter and will be more versatile!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

rushofblood

Post by rushofblood » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Pandamonium wrote:For real sounding sampled drums BFD by Fxpansion is fantastic, even better if you have vdrums to trigger them. For electronic drums Impulse works fine. Avoid NI Battery 2 at all costs, It's buggy half finnished unsuported crap with obvious bugs that shouldn't have made it past alpha version. NI acknowledeged the bugs over a year ago but refuse to fix them. NI have gone down the crapper in recent times.
Hey man, how are you using v-drums to trigger them? I tried to hook up my TD-6 module to it and they don't work too well together the way I have it set up I guess?

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Microtonic! www.soniccharge.com $89 and worth every penny. Great sounding, au/vst versions, multiple outs. It's the one!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:09 pm

sd 2100....its a dirty drum samplerplayer and its free

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:57 pm

rushofblood wrote:
Pandamonium wrote:For real sounding sampled drums BFD by Fxpansion is fantastic, even better if you have vdrums to trigger them. For electronic drums Impulse works fine. Avoid NI Battery 2 at all costs, It's buggy half finnished unsuported crap with obvious bugs that shouldn't have made it past alpha version. NI acknowledeged the bugs over a year ago but refuse to fix them. NI have gone down the crapper in recent times.
Hey man, how are you using v-drums to trigger them? I tried to hook up my TD-6 module to it and they don't work too well together the way I have it set up I guess?
I actually use TD6, works fantastic. You need to edit sensitivity on TD6 and midi settings in TD6 to suit yourself though.
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

EEkevin

Post by EEkevin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:29 pm

FWIW, I use battery 2 with Live 5 like crazy and have never had a problem. Works well for me, but there's a lot of good options, most of which have been mentioned. For analog stuff, isn't ReBirth now freeware? Could be worth a look.
"He had become his real old self again and could look you in the face."

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:51 pm

I have been playing around with Stylus RMX lately. I am in heaven. This is so versatile compared to the orig.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

i've found drumcore pretty useful and incredibly versitile for routing schemes via rewire (if you go that route)

Sartori

Post by Sartori » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:04 am

Stormdrum is good for acoustic drums, better than BFD in my opinion. Apparently Drumkit From Hell Superior is also good, but it's absolutely huge!

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 am

i use Drum sounds
Drums