some features that should take 10 sec to code:

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:45 am

dude I've been working 12 hour days for 2 weeks without any days off. what are you talking about "getting out" I'm almost never even home.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46 am

Johnisfaster wrote:dude I've been working 12 hour days for 2 weeks without any days off. what are you talking about "getting out" I'm almost never even home.

then you need to stop working so much

.. hey wait, you code C++? :?:

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 am

Silicon/Silicium wrote:
Man, you can do this in live 6 by stacking multiple impulses. It's as simple as that.
well I known that but forge just told me you lose the naming of each note in piano roll. so here is my question: if you stack two impulses, can you have a piano roll with 16 (24,32!) named lane in a single midi track?? if so, forget my request about large impulse.
Hey, Silicon/Silicium,

this is exactly why it all takes so long. Now we have this great new feature which allows to stack two ore more instruments including overlapping key and velocity zones. This is way more powerful than just adding more pads to a drum computer since it allows to stack an Impulse and maybe two Operators or other synths just for the creation of two drumsounds not made from samples.( And to store this as one single unit, ready to be used in any project ) But this feature creates a problem: the naming of the notes need to be rethought.
I am sure we will find a solution for this. Maybe some day you can enter the names by hand or there is a more intelligent solution. But this all needs a lot of thinking since there are allways cases which have not been thought of....

Robert

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 am

yeah I seriously need a day off. I'm going insane. thats why I'm just sitting here posting on everyones thread. for some reason it's entertaining me right now and I haven't had this kind of free time in a while.

watching some family guy and watching the forum scramble about L6, totally good times.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:48 am

But there are tons of other important tasks, too. We do our best, this is all we can offer to you now.
I would suggest we wait till you guys played with Live 6 and then we will see where to go from there.
well, I agree on this point, I m sure I ll love the new features, and I hink Ill make his update, but I m also sure some frustrating things we describe will stay here anupd annoy me daily (ghost clips and recording automations in session clips first... seriously missed in workflow...). and that's my point: is it more or less impotant to solve workflow or to spend time on coding a (n another)sampler, adding a video lane? it's opening new ways for live but it also ll impose more time to maintain and date them, more features asking, etc...
but whatever, thx for taking some time for answering and calming down my disappointement.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:50 am

Maybe some day you can enter the names by hand or there is a more intelligent solution.
and save them with .alc or with the rack, I proposed this one some months ago and energyXT 2 will have it due to hhhmmm permanent ominpresent harassing demand!! where do I signed??? :D

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 am

[quote="Silicon/Silicium"]... . and that's my point: is it more or less impotant to solve workflow or to spend time on coding a (n another)sampler, adding a video lane? it's opening new ways for live but it also ll impose more time to maintain and date them, more features asking, etc...
/quote]

Well, this is exactly the dillema: with such a huge user base you only can do wrong. Guess how many people were begging us to add video support. For some this feature is very very important. If this would not be in, be assured that there were a thread allready saying that video is a) a must have nowadays and b) not so complicated to realise.

And the development of the video feature had a great side effect: you now can choose an audio clip, set warp markers in it and define this clip as master. it will play completely unalterd but the song tempo will follow to match the warp markers.
Add a MIDI or audio track to a free jazz performance.... yeah....

You might not want to use the video but you will like this if you are into remixing or if you just want to edit non computerised music and still use a beat grid!
Think about this, how much coud this simplify and speed up editing of anykind of music ! Or how could this help doing radio features / commercials.
The more i think of it the more i like this.....

Robert

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:10 am

hhhhmm, the thing you describe seem to be one of the major feature of L6!!
about the dilemma, let me o a bit further.
on the "live" market, well, live is almost alone. P5 II is a strange hybryd with soooooo nice ideas and features, but almost completly unusable in live situation. fl live features are embryonnic, and its a perfect exemple of v8 that need some serious rethinking. so as a live player, my only choice is... the so called live. well if need to edit video I can look at vegas or sam, if need to seriously produce and edit audio recording, I can say hello to sam, sonar or cub/nuendo, but if I want to create and play live, well.
for sure it's a dilemma, having the perfect live machine, or going into a swiss knife of audio creation. you know what pill Ill take :wink:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:13 am

8O I think Hambone1 is going to wet himself.
And so will everybody else who has been wanting flexible tempo.

Damn....
Dibs on the tutorial section!!!! :D

I pitty the fool who took on the job for the Live 6 power books and DVD's this year. Untill Live 6 was announced, I was still coming up with workarounds for lord knows what. (long live max though)

Robert, is it possible to change tempo by just firing a locator in the arrangement. Would this slow down/speed up clips in the session grid?
Or does the orange dot prohibit this?

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:15 am

I just loaded up to try as SIlicon said I had said you lose the naming - as I had only said you dont get the next impulse added next in row - but I've just discovered that if impulse is in a group you lose the naming altogether in piano roll

well that's a bit of a bummer

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:28 am

seems you all replied while I was typing! :D

yes that tempo mapping feature should be written in LARGE BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS Hambone will probably as you say B have all kinds of untoward reactions over that one!

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:30 pm

Robert Henke wrote:
Implementing features is super fast. Making a software which remains simple and powerfull is not. Bring us more excellent C++ developpers and we will be more then happy to give them a cool job.....

Cheers, Robert
Too bad you require relocation for the programming positions I've seen. I have been looking for a new job lately...

Cheers man!

tylast

Post by tylast » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Robert Henke wrote:The more i think of it the more i like this....
I'm with ya. I'm just really eager to get L6 on my dual CPU machine over here. 8)

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Robert Henke, Sir!,

I think I am starting to understand, from Graphic Design experience how solving a problem without at least taking great consideration to how the "fix" might affect other things later on is important.

By and large, I love this product becuase it is reliable. Though I can't seem to live without the new features your team seems to implement, I found that my powerpc did not handle five as well as it did four. I will never know why this is, but I imagine it has a lot to do with how much more I love the product and, directly related, how much more I have been pushing it.

I have a feeling that once I get a dual core laptop and sink my teeth into live 6 I will be satisfied, and with Sampler and all of these added effects and routing features I will not have any reason to straiin myself to rewire (or other method) logic into my projects.

Thank you.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:58 pm

what the hell is a choke group>?