editing midi in arrange window?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
n8tron

editing midi in arrange window?

Post by n8tron » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm kinda a newbie to live and I've been trying to edit midi in the arrange window. for example I have a drum loop going that I have put into the arrange and I just want to add a sort of fill into the chorus... is it possible to do that in the arrange window?

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:05 pm

+10

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:10 pm

yes, but you may need to split the clip from the rest of the clip if you are looping from before and after the point that you want to add the fill.

If you split your clip at the start and end you'll create 3 seperate clips that you can then freely edit to make different versions.

Alternately you could setup an additional midi track that sends midi to the track with your drum kit to just send in the additional midi for the fill.

Greg

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:57 am

so there is no known way to just grab a midi note in the arrange window and drag it over a beat?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:31 am

sure you can. i'm not sure if you can drag notes in the actual tracks, but if you've selected the clip, you can do whatever editing in the clip view at the bottom of the screen - arrange or session

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:30 am

longjohns wrote:sure you can. i'm not sure if you can drag notes in the actual tracks, but if you've selected the clip, you can do whatever editing in the clip view at the bottom of the screen - arrange or session
thats what I was afraid of.

heres to hoping that in live 6 you can move the note right in the arrange window track and it just creates a new clip for you, rather than having to cut it up yourself, make a new clip, then edit it.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:33 pm

n8tron wrote:
longjohns wrote:sure you can. i'm not sure if you can drag notes in the actual tracks, but if you've selected the clip, you can do whatever editing in the clip view at the bottom of the screen - arrange or session
thats what I was afraid of.

heres to hoping that in live 6 you can move the note right in the arrange window track and it just creates a new clip for you, rather than having to cut it up yourself, make a new clip, then edit it.
You can edit it, but it will edit the entire clip drawn out, so if you have a 1 measure clip played over 8 measures, and you edit the clip to add a fill or whatever, you'll end up with the fill over all 8 measures. Alternately I suppose you could alt/open apple J the clip to consolidate it instead of splitting it.

Try consolidate...