CAN WE ASSIGN DELETE IN 6?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Surreal

CAN WE ASSIGN DELETE IN 6?

Post by Surreal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 pm

i have posted a couple times about this and have been ignored.

someone...please?

AdamJay

Re: CAN WE ASSIGN DELETE IN 6?

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 pm

Surreal wrote:i have posted a couple times about this and have been ignored.

someone...please?
delete is hardwired to.... you guessed it... the "Delete" key.

in other words, no.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 pm

there are 3rd party programs you can run midi into to generate letter keys and delete and enter and shift and all that using midi input. on osx you can use midistroke. I don't remember the pc one.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:59 pm

drats...

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:26 am

AdamJay wrote:

someone...please?

in other words, no.
What kind of a software archetecture is that???!!

If live's programers know what they are doing (and I think that they do!) I would predict that there is a function something like clip::delete() somewhere in there. If you can't arrange for a midi message to result in that function being called then there is a problem.

I suspect that the main problem is deciding how to represent it on the GUI for MIDI learn purposes.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:17 pm

no, it makes sense. might have something to do with ascii.

it blows hard though.

i wish there were a mode you could enter where you could map delete and where, if you selected A clip via midi, you would actually select that clip (yellow around it) to make it possible to delete it. (that doesnt happen if you have selected tempo or an effect.

------
edit: the "blows hard" part was not m eant to be a rip on abe. i just REALLY could use that delete button.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:27 pm

The question about an assignable delete function is one of the most frequent topics on this forum, isn't it?
Last edited by TheAnimal on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:29 pm

nolus wrote:
AdamJay wrote:

someone...please?

in other words, no.
What kind of a software archetecture is that???!!

If live's programers know what they are doing (and I think that they do!) I would predict that there is a function something like clip::delete() somewhere in there. If you can't arrange for a midi message to result in that function being called then there is a problem.

I suspect that the main problem is deciding how to represent it on the GUI for MIDI learn purposes.
There is nothing special about the 'delete' key as far as ascii keycodes are concerned. Catching and reinterpreting it is easy, but I suspect that the abes are not allowing it to be assigned for obvious reasons... the same as spacebar. Yes, it would be useful to remap these keys to other things, but their base functionality is probably more important to live than allowing users to remap this key.

At least, that's my guess...

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 pm

sqook wrote: There is nothing special about the 'delete' key as far as ascii keycodes are concerned. Catching and reinterpreting it is easy, but I suspect that the abes are not allowing it to be assigned for obvious reasons... the same as spacebar. Yes, it would be useful to remap these keys to other things, but their base functionality is probably more important to live than allowing users to remap this key.

I think, you misunderstood. We want the delete function to be assignable to a midi event - not to trigger things with the delete key.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

inis

Post by inis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Can we disable the damn spacebar? How bout that? You know that wouldnt take any time at all to write is something like that.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:03 pm

TheAnimal wrote:
sqook wrote: There is nothing special about the 'delete' key as far as ascii keycodes are concerned. Catching and reinterpreting it is easy, but I suspect that the abes are not allowing it to be assigned for obvious reasons... the same as spacebar. Yes, it would be useful to remap these keys to other things, but their base functionality is probably more important to live than allowing users to remap this key.

I think, you misunderstood. We want the delete function to be assignable to a midi event - not to trigger things with the delete key.
i wasnt clear in the first post.

i want to be able to trigger delete with a Midi note so that can have a delete button on my control surface.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:44 pm

I bet most of the Abes are still triggering from the keyboard & don't even realize how useful this is. Do you use MidiStroke or Bome?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:03 pm

yeah could we please just throw in all the easy ideas that everyone has so that live starts sucking?

assigning delete to a midi note would be nice yes, and disabling spacebar would be nice too. but everyone out there has all these ideas and they always say "it should just take a second to code this" but if they threw them all in there ableton would suck all the sudden cause the coding would have been just thrown together. you can't add a thousand little things all at once and not expect problems. and what makes you think that you're ideas should have priority over the other little ideas?

I'm so fu**ing sick of everyone complaining.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:10 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm so fu**ing sick of everyone complaining.
It's the weather :wink:

Two weeks ago somebody was complaining about all the political threads, before that it was the off topic stuff, before that it was trolls and bots, before that the political stuff again...

You see the pattern?
People will be bitching as long as there is something to bitch about.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:16 pm

I don't understand bitching about any product on the market, if I don't like the way it is then I won't buy it, but I bought live so apparently I like it, there are always things you might not like about what you bought but the fact is it was worth buying (or you wouldn't have bought it) so quit bitching about all the stuff it doesn't do and go get a freaking translator so you can map your del button.