Preferred file format for DJing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:01 am

Nixon asked:
24?? is this on normal audio cd's as well???
NO standard audio CDs can only take up to 16bit 44.1khz

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:29 am

phew! I thought so!! my itunes wav converter is 16/44.1, so is appeared I was missing some "music".

thanks
macbook 2Ghz 2GB, uc33, bcf2000, triggerfinger, monomachine, live 5.2/6.0.1, ozone 3, pure data, ultralite,
http://www.myspace.com/moderndancing

alan*

Post by alan* » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 am

supster wrote:most of the people posting on this are missing a couple of points

1 - converting to WAV or AIFF gives you no gain in sound quality. you dont 'gain anything' by the conversion except loss of disk space, and

2 - the cache size that Live uses for conversion remains a constant value you set, so losing a couple of gigs of space to the cache is not at all the same as losing hundreds of gigs when you convert all your MP3s to WAV and

3 - you realize you are going to have to redo all of your warp markers if you convert? ok cool, and

4 - you also realize that in a live situation, almost nobody will ever, ever be able to tell if you are using MP3, because its almost impossible to hear the difference with a hi-quality one

and if youve converted from MP3, its going to 'sound like' an MP3 anyway (see point #1)

SO imo converting all of your tracks from MP3 to WAV is more or less a lot of work that is a complete waste of time that accomplishes absolutely nothing but a net loss .. of time energy and disk space.

I'm with supster on this issue, all good points. For a travelling dj, hi Q mp3 makes a lot of sense. No AAC support in Live 6 ? Thats a shame.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm

When I first got Ableton, it was Live 4 and MP3 was not supported.

So I got used to converting MP3 files to WAV just to be able to use them in live.

Next, Live 5 came out with MP3 support. But when I learned that MP3 "support" meant that Live decodes the MP3 into a WAV in a decoding cache, I decided to continue with my procedure of converting MP3 to WAV. I know that no quality is gained, but hard drive space was not a concern for me, and I prefer the ability to drag any song from the browser and it is instantly ready. No load time.

However, as time has gone by, I've been getting closer to filling my hard drive. So as space has become a minor concern, I have stopped converting MP3 to WAV. Now, if I purchase a WAV file.... I keep it as WAV. If I buy an MP3, its stays as MP3.

My laptop has dual 80 gig SATA drives in a Raid 0 config, so that's 160 gigs. I keep my decoding cache to about 20 gigs.

I keep my music stored on 2 external 250 gig hard drives. I manually "mirror" these drives.... meaning one of the drives is purely backup. If I buy a new song, I warp it and a copy goes on each drive. That way, if a drive dies, I still have another drive with all my music.

When it is time ti play a gig, I drag the music I want over to my laptop internal drive. That way I don't need to bring an external drive.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:04 pm

I keep my music stored on 2 external 250 gig hard drives. I manually "mirror" these drives.... meaning one of the drives is purely backup. If I buy a new song, I warp it and a copy goes on each drive. That way, if a drive dies, I still have another drive with all my music.

When it is time ti play a gig, I drag the music I want over to my laptop internal drive. That way I don't need to bring an external drive.
exactly what I do!
but if you drag a set wich contains mp3's to your laptops hdd, it will have to decode them (not analyze them) again right?
That's why I convert all mp3's to waves. > to make my self-contained sets "really" self-contained
macbook 2Ghz 2GB, uc33, bcf2000, triggerfinger, monomachine, live 5.2/6.0.1, ozone 3, pure data, ultralite,
http://www.myspace.com/moderndancing

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:08 pm

I run a mirrored RAID array on two external drives and only use AIFFs. I can't afford to lose data. Mirroring means that you're continually backing yourself up.

On a weekly basis, I back up to another drive and keep it off-site. You never know when your house is gonna burn down!