A message to the Live 6 Alpha testers, (not insulting !) ;)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

A message to the Live 6 Alpha testers, (not insulting !) ;)

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:32 pm

hello,
As I notice that not only have you got to find time to Alpha test Live6, while also having a life, but also you are having to answer 80 billion repeating questions

I suggest you post the things that you have said or discovered in theLive Wiki special Live 6 FAQ page

It might help you reclaim a bit of your lives rather than repeat yourself endlessly in lots of different threads. Also it will help anyone who isn't a complete forum whore likeme to keep up to date on what is happening by categorising the info.

Obviously nothing that is under NDA, but there are a few things that Alphas have said that have shed new light on certain areas which arent in the official promo blurb

I have started it in a really simple way, mainly because I'm not really in a position to comment authoratitively.
Live Wiki special Live 6 FAQ page

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:40 pm

Props. Perhaps a good idea. But I am another forum whore, though I don't post as much as some of you.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:45 pm

Good call Angstrom,

Wouldn't this go against the conspiracy theory some folks hold that the alpha testing is actually "cynical marketing practice" intended to hype Live 6 on the company's own forum?

well in that case, wiki here we come.

:D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:50 pm

You gotta understand though. That everything we say is subjective to changes.

With these changes on the site, we'll either be able to do an official wiki here or continue on the teragon site.

But don't ask us to write anything down now. Not that we're lazy or anything. But here's an example...

- We write something about a feature on the wiki

- people take it as an official statement (disclaimer or not)

- If one of us testers would find too many bugs in that feature and it would get scrapped.....

Well, I'm sure somebody would be pissed at us.

One thing is for sure though. Once the beta is nearing the end, we'll be able to FINISH the wiki with added motivation.

And everytime somebody pops an unanswered faq... we know where to go.

We'll be happy to answer questions around here.
It's not like you guys are going to have to wait for the beta for much longer.

-Bjorn

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Bah, that wiki is nothing but a cynical marketing ploy cooked up by Ableton and M-Audio :P

Bring on the beta, I can't freakin' wait. Third beta in three years, it's fun squishing bugs.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Hoffman, I see your point, but being pissed is going to happen whether on the boards or not.

I think some people don't understand how the Abe's or other companies go about testing their software. Ableton gives those of us not in the software/coding business a huge peephole into how this all works because they are so upfront.

The MIDI stretching has already been pulled. It looked really cool, but I can understand that the Abe's want to put together LIVE so that it works as anticipated, and if that means that that feature is not baked enough yet, so be it.

People are already upset around here. I was a tad upset about Sampler. But only because I think it is soooo cool, and it just makes some of my decisions more difficult. But people need to realize that life is not perfect. Things will get taken out. But wikipedia is not set in stone, and is constantly maleable. Therefore, things can be deleted.

So, do what you want. Good luck with the alpha testing.

Cheers,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:59 pm

hoffman2k wrote:You gotta understand though. That everything we say is subjective to changes.
With these changes on the site, we'll either be able to do an official wiki here or continue on the teragon site.
But don't ask us to write anything down now. Not that we're lazy or anything. But here's an example...

- We write something about a feature on the wiki

- people take it as an official statement (disclaimer or not)
well, I just put a disclaimer on the Wiki anyway

But, actually doing it on the Wiki will save you some hassle - If you think that everything you say in posts on the forum could be searched out in future and taken as cold fact, even if you later retracted it . IE: video warp markers and using those as a 'tempo-map' , I think that feature is currently in flux, yet you would need to go back and micro manage 20 threads here to keep the info correct.
On the wiki everyone involved can clear up any misunderstandings by simply commenting eroneous data out.

see, not daft ! :wink:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 pm

angstrom

i actually see it differntly.

we are under an NDA with L6, basically means were limited in both the what and how of discussing L6.

we raised the question on how we should behave once the L6 info goes public and it was agreed by ableton that they would allow us to talk about L6 as we see it on the forum.

to me, being under an NDA and also not wanting to screw my relationship with ableton, unless berlin says its cool, not for one second i assume discussing L6 elsewhere is cool.

sorry if i sound like a prick, but this is how i would like people to act with my business so i will keep my conduct to their policies the same.

mind you, this does not mean that the owner of the wiki cant filter some of this info into there, or even better yet try help get the Abes on board for such an idea and this could be your contribution to the alpha stage.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:58 pm

well whatever,

I thought I'd save you guys some time, instead of repeating yourself over and over again on the forum with Threads titled "WHY IS SAMPLER NOT GOOD" containing information from an Alpha tester about exporting to multiple waves,or some such thing.

You guys seem happy to repeat yourselves and I guess ifanyone really wants to find the answers to questions they can sift through all the many and varied answers that litter the many and unrelated threads.

It's just me, I like tidyness and economy of effort - producing clear output.
the current system involves misplaced comments, repetition and misunderstandings.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water - but you cant make him drink.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Angstrom wrote:well whatever,

I thought I'd save you guys some time, instead of repeating yourself over and over again on the forum with Threads titled "WHY IS SAMPLER NOT GOOD" containing information from an Alpha tester about exporting to multiple waves,or some such thing.

You guys seem happy to repeat yourselves and I guess ifanyone really wants to find the answers to questions they can sift through all the many and varied answers that litter the many and unrelated threads.

It's just me, I like tidyness and economy of effort - producing clear output.
the current system involves misplaced comments, repetition and misunderstandings.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water - but you cant make him drink.

sweetjesus has a point though, its up to ableton really.

if i had the alpha i wouldnt post much other than anectdotal stuff anywhere other than here - unless they told me explicitely otherwise. its business

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:18 pm

this is a bit baffling.
Its as if I asked them all to reveal some dreadful secret rather than simply saying "stop repeating yourself and post what you have said in one one place - it will save you a lot of time"

The objections make no sense.
If I took all the things thet these guys have said on the forums and put it all in one place that is actually readable - that's OK

but if they did the same thing that would not be OK?

Here, everything they post is next to useless because it's scattered through various threads and information is being retracted, yet lives on in various threads ... people are duplicating things other testers have said, and that's a good use of time during Alpha testing?

there would be no more or less violation of anything as these guys are already posting stuff here, but it's all over the place and people keep asking the same things.

well, like I say - your choice. My job involves streamlining interactions, this seemed an easy way to help some people who were having a lot of time taken off them.I gain nothing from them doing this, while they do (time), so whatever.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Angstrom wrote:this is a bit baffling.
Its as if I asked them all to reveal some dreadful secret rather than simply saying "stop repeating yourself and post what you have said in one one place - it will save you a lot of time"

The objections make no sense.
If I took all the things thet these guys have said on the forums and put it all in one place that is actually readable - that's OK

but if they did the same thing that would not be OK?

Here, everything they post is next to useless because it's scattered through various threads and information is being retracted, yet lives on in various threads ... people are duplicating things other testers have said, and that's a good use of time during Alpha testing?

there would be no more or less violation of anything as these guys are already posting stuff here, but it's all over the place and people keep asking the same things.

well, like I say - your choice. My job involves streamlining interactions, this seemed an easy way to help some people who were having a lot of time taken off them.I gain nothing from them doing this, while they do (time), so whatever.
i do agree that this is gettig a bit messy, personally im putting most of my efforts into alpha testing L6 in normal usage situations and writing my mini reviews as i explore new areas but at the same time trying to answere odd specific questions now and again.