OT: Video: Bush gives Angela Merkel unwelcome massage!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrTom

Post by MrTom » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:38 pm

rtopia wrote:
R.A.W. wrote: no, i don't think so.. but vote another pres next time or we will ;)
don't hold your breath - it doesn't look like we're going to get much of a choice in 2008 either : )

- r

disclaimer - r strongly desires the option to vote "none of the above" to force a "do over"
we still keep our breath, until we know for sure you will not elect Schwarzenegger next time...:-)

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:44 pm

MrTom wrote:
rtopia wrote:
R.A.W. wrote: no, i don't think so.. but vote another pres next time or we will ;)
don't hold your breath - it doesn't look like we're going to get much of a choice in 2008 either : )

- r

disclaimer - r strongly desires the option to vote "none of the above" to force a "do over"
we still keep our breath, until we know for sure you will not elect Schwarzenegger next time...:-)

Hehe.

Don't worry. Arnold was not born in the USA, so he can't become president.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

stew

Post by stew » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:51 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:It's criminal that 48% of the voters are letft with no voice in the white office. From what I understand, European countries have the parties share power proportionally according to their percentage. We should adopt this here.
I think the difference with most of our systems is that we have more power in the parliament and less on the president. Though, the difference is more in how we excercise it than in the system itself - for example, the president in Germany also has the right to veto bills (and neither or president nor our chancellor are elected directly through popular vote either), but it has never been used in the history of the post-1949 republic.

noizbot

Post by noizbot » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 pm

jackmazzotti wrote:I voted for Bush and I would do so again
Why? Please, nobody flame. Why? Where I live I don't know a single person that supports Bush. I'm not going to go into why we don't support Bush because I don't want to start a flamewar.

I just want to, honestly, know why you, as a Bush supporter, support Bush? What has he done, in your opinion, that deserves support?

Serious question! I've always wanted to ask!

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:25 pm

stew wrote:
pearsonart.com wrote:It's criminal that 48% of the voters are letft with no voice in the white office. From what I understand, European countries have the parties share power proportionally according to their percentage. We should adopt this here.
I think the difference with most of our systems is that we have more power in the parliament and less on the president. Though, the difference is more in how we excercise it than in the system itself - for example, the president in Germany also has the right to veto bills (and neither or president nor our chancellor are elected directly through popular vote either), but it has never been used in the history of the post-1949 republic.
I think this is true.

I also think that we HAD been redistributing power more equally between our 3 branches of government UNTIL Cheney and others decided to stage this presidential power grab.

Congress has allowed itself to be marginalized and no longer seems to be able to call it's own course of action. This is why the Supreme Court is so important. It's the last hope for those of us who don't want a king (or worse).

Hopefully, the Supreme Court can stop the damage where it is. Time should solve the rest. This administration has gone too far too quickly and will continue to collapse on itself.

[/i]

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:31 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:
Poster wrote:
kramerica wrote:Curious: Do Europeans think most Americans are like W.?

If so, we're all fucked.
I do not want to believe that, and I don't,
but a president is chosen by the majority of votes..
so to answer your question; yes, theoretically most Americans are..
at least they we're at the moment when he was elected..

just wondering; would he be president at this moment, if there we're elections right now?
In my country (Netherlands) our government would be sent home if there were elections at this moment..
There's still a debate about whether a majority of Americans actually voted for Bush. It's been proven that Gore actually won the popular vote in 2000 and vote tampering in Ohio may have affected the Kerry numbers in 2004.

Even if you concede the Bush election in 2004, he only won 52%. That leaves 48% of the voting electorate who DIDN"T vote for him and are completely disgusted with this administration and what they are doing. Not a majority but a significant (and growing more vocal) minority.
which, btw, was a wider margin of victory than clinton had over his opponents during elections. In american politics, in any case, the re-election of Bush was a resounding affirmation of Bush over his opponent Kerry.

rob.