myspace - i don't get it!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ciw

myspace - i don't get it!

Post by ciw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:07 pm

Well it seems to be my 100th posting and a good time to get to grips with myspace!

Ok, I get that you can make an artist page with clips of music, and then friend people.

But how exactly does this translate into more people coming to gigs/listening online?

I'm about to make a page for a band with a couple of people. Should I friend similar artists, so people browsing myspace find us through links from music they like? Or am I meant to friend potential fans directly so they come and listen to our music? :?:

edit: can i then send all the 'friends' notifications of an upcoming gig?

or is there another aspect of myspace that i'm missing..?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 pm

MySpace is gay.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 pm

i made through myspace a few very valuable contacts. and got even work out of it. (gigs and remixing) so did some of my friends.

my experience is, it depends what you make of it and how active you are.

ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:38 pm

subterFUSE wrote:MySpace is gay.
So is text messaging but i've had to learn how to do it. That's life in 2006 for you. Hence hints on using myspace would be appreciated... ;)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:40 pm

have a read more into the Terms and conditions and usage rights of YOUR tracks before you go further with myspace

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 pm

Using myspace has huge benefits for those who understand how to use it to their benefit. Those who don't will slag it off. That's human nature.

I'm glad many don't like it and don't use it. It helps to slow it down from being crushed under its own weight!

ictus

Post by ictus » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:11 pm

Myspace aint ' gay' (jesus how crap a statement is that?) - it's got me LOADSA contacts worldwide that's gonna help me with my tunes.

And no, I aint gay myself , not that that would matter as I dont really give a sh*t!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:28 pm

hambone 1 wrote:
Using myspace has huge benefits for those who understand how to use it to their benefit. Those who don't will slag it off. That's human nature.

I'm glad many don't like it and don't use it. It helps to slow it down from being crushed under its own weight!
YO!

about how to use it, the only advise i can give you, is put up all the content you believe is important / necessary to be accessed by other people (you will see the options, once you create an account, that's selfexplanatory) and then be a a little active communicating with people on myspace... if you do something interesting (for others!), then the rest will come...

about the rights issue, i am not so paranoid, in our times everyone steals from everyone, everytime i give demo CDs out, someone can sample my ideas to death... i stoped worrying about it. i put for example only super lowest quality mp3s on myspace... and have other methods to secure my copyright status.

hope it gives you an idea.
Last edited by SubFunk on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm

ok kinda OT, but the language skills from some of the forum members are really, really scary lately!

that makes me often having real doubts about the local intelligents.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:35 pm

What gets me is that most of the semi-literate dialog seems to come from English-speaking (Brits, Yanks, Aussies, Canucks) forum members.

I have the utmost respect for those on the forum for who English isn't their first language. Their posts are often far more literate and communicative than those of us who should know better! :oops:

ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Hambone your replies are useful :) But who should you send friend requests to, similar artists or potential fans (ignoring the obvious point that one is a subset of the other)?

And who on this thread are you guys accusing of illiteracy? It all looks ok to me.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:43 pm

hambone1 wrote:
What gets me is that most of the semi-literate dialog seems to come from English-speaking (Brits, Yanks, Aussies, Canucks) forum members.

I have the utmost respect for those on the forum for who English isn't their first language. Their posts are often far more literate and communicative than those of us who should know better!
that is very sadly actually true.

i know that we "foreigners" make a hell lot of spelling / grammar mistakes, but there is no need for a 20street word use communication, under supposedly educated people.

if i am not mistaken then the main aim of this forum is to HELP each other and to exchange knowledge, experience and tips. and not to attack nor slack people off.

sorry for being OT, but really lately it's getting worse around here.

keep it up!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:45 pm

ciw asked:
Hambone your replies are useful Smile But who should you send friend requests to, similar artists or potential fans (ignoring the obvious point that one is a subset of the other)?
ok, i am not hambone, but send requests to everyone YOU feel is right / should now about you.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:47 pm

I didn't intend the illiteracy comment to have anything to do with this thread. It's just a general observation.

The forum IS intended for us to help each other out. Good communication skills just make that easier. I'm just embarassed that the non-English speaking forum members generally seem to have the better skills. It's not only spelling and grammar skills, but the ability to make objective, non-judgmental posts, too, without the need for name-calling and other nastiness. Or the discourtesy of hijacking somebody else's thread... :oops:

As an American, I blame the education system...
Last edited by hambone1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Just b/c the Terms and Conditions say something, doesn't mean it has any force. Most businesses put "boilerplate" disclaimers or other legal jargon on their product, not with the hope that said disclaimer/jargon is legally enforceable, but that it will hopefully deter the everyday consumer from enforcing their own rights. My point being, just b/c Myspace says they have rights to something (they only have licensing rights, not copyright), doesn't mean that they do. It's called bullshit, and that's what lawyers are hired to spew forth.

I wouldn't worry about putting music up there.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /