Why are all the Artist profiles mostly German? Biased?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
claudek

Why are all the Artist profiles mostly German? Biased?

Post by claudek » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:10 am

Is it just me but it seems almost all the artist spotlights on this site that they talk about on the main page of Ableton are all German..Why don't they profile artists from other countries?..Or is it just Germans who use Live the most? Half these guys I see never heard of either. Also never any girls either..Or is it just men who who use Live?

borg

Post by borg » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:04 am

the last few months, i've seen interviews with mogwai, nin's charlie clouser, the guy from garbage, ... , our own antwerp based hero styrofoam, ... these are the ones that just pop up from my memory.

about the girls... how many female peers do you know? in the music technology fora i frequently visit, there are NONE... apart from the exception on cubase.net, but hey, with 10,000+ members...
there should be more... heck, i hardly can come up with female signed electronic artists (mira calix, neotropic, kevin blechtum) and they're all great. unfortunately, music is still mainly a man's thing

raapie

watch this space

Post by raapie » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:33 am

some Dutch stuff will appear in the artists-pages soon. but it's a secret, so please don't tell anyone about it :D
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:35 pm

the women are too busy nagging their men about spending more time with their PCs than them

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:01 pm

It's a conspiracy! Just ask SuSE...

myo

Post by myo » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:the women are too busy nagging their men about spending more time with their PCs than them
although that was true with my ex it is extremly sexist. it's exclusive to a bad relationship and not women in general. good thing you didn't post your name.

anyway, there's also magda on m_nus. just saw here on the 4th july with ritchie hawtin in baltimore and she's deffinatly better than most men out there. and yes neotropic is deffinatly worth checking out but I don't think she's put out a new studio album in a while. last I heard she was doing some live fusion/breaks thing with a couple other people.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:42 am

...all that, plus ableton is a german company.

k

Credo

Post by Credo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:20 am

Chicks on speed are girls ...I guess?? :lol:

Isnt that a natural thing that Monolake and those other Abletons have their special friends in Germany? If you have to start somewhere you start with those whom you know or at least know about araound you.
Live is quite new after all. Still many has not heard about it and even less use it.

My guess is we will see more international - non german - inteviews in the future.

I would like to see more in depth and longer ones. Sometimes those 5 standard questions doesnt give you so much, I think.

C

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:06 pm

who cares anyway, 'why all artists german?' christ how boring.

- why is it pretty much all good music software is german? they obviously care about their music as a nation, but then with people like bach beethoven and mozart (well, austrian, but he still spoke german) being your cultural icons/heritage you would be proud - the top 3 in history

- I think pioneers pretty aptly puts it.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:18 pm

Heidi Kulm is german too, can you feature her on the website too? :twisted:

jdg

Post by jdg » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:07 pm

whats this 'germany' you speak of? 8O :lol:
www.google.com

best website ever

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:49 pm

jdg wrote:whats this 'germany' you speak of? 8O :lol:
it's in that place they call 'rest of the world' if you went to school in the US they may not have told you about it.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:38 pm

Anonymous wrote: but then with people like bach beethoven and mozart (well, austrian, but he still spoke german) being your cultural icons/heritage you would be proud - the top 3 in history
I beg to differ. Stravinskij invented music.

(Why is it I can't shut up about this when I have no actual arguments to support my case? Anyways, I repeat: Stravinskij invented music. Everything before that was just exercises; some rather bland (like the three you mention), others not (such as Wagner, Satie and such).

-Paws

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:00 am

noisetonepause wrote:some rather bland (like the three you mention), others not (such as Wagner, Satie and such).

-Paws
>>hang on a minute, did i read that correctly? you refer to mozart, bach and beethoven as bland?? Have you ever actually heard them outside of TV commercials?? If you have you must be dead from the ears down - even though i've heard moonlight sonata a million times, usually bastardised for some crap commercial, it still puts a lump in my throat, and mozarts 'lacrimosa' from his requiem.....there is no more deeply affecting piece of music ever written. YOU ARE DEAF.

not criticising Stravinskij mind you.

BIG UP THE GERMANS FOR PRESERVING YOUR AMAZING CULTURAL HERITAGE BY KEEPING IT ALIVE IN AMAZING SOFTWARE. Vorsprung durch technich and all that. Sehr Sehr Gut. Ich Mochte Eine Bier Bitte. Ich bin Auslander und sprechen nicht gut deutsch.. Ich Verstehe nicht was sie sagen, Bitte langsam, Wo ist der Bank Bitte, Vielen Dank. Woher Kommst Du? Ich komme Aus Hier.

Auf Wiedersehen

well, that's pretty much exhausted my high school german hommage for now. Have a good day

And thanks again for the software

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:46 pm

In case you are still wondering where to find some great women musicians --

http://www.pinknoises.com/