All times are UTC

Post subject: Can I do this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:09 am 

Hello,
I play in a band that has more instruments than players. As a result, we use a sequencer, currently digital performer, to play back MIDI and audio parts while we play live, and the drummer plays to a click. We are somewhat concerned about the mechanical nature of this, our music has some pretty drastic tempo shifts and we don't like the idea of being constrained to doing it the same way every time.
I'm wondering if there is a way, using Abelton Live or any other software that you might be aware of, for a sequencer to interpret our tempo on the fly and adjust the sequence accordingly. The theory is that we would mic part or all of the drumset and the sequencer would use that information to calculate the tempo. I assume this wouldn't be difficult if, say, the drummer was playing the kick on every beat, but it isn't that simple.
In programs like Acid I believe you can import a drum recording and it can figure out the tempo. I want something that does that on the fly and adjusts the sequence to it.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Andrew Mason
andrew@pandamouth.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:32 am 

Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others
Tough, I think. You could get your drummer an extra arm and have him tap the tempo on a MIDI pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:00 am 

I think usually it's the othr wayaround : the drummer gets a clicktrack from the laptop groovist :wink: and takes it from there ....

For what you're trying to do I just wonder if one of those RedSound nifty box' like http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb98/a ... dbeat.html could help you out that are meant for DJ's and which - though 'm not sure - can send tempochange midimessages , just mic up the Basdrum to that box ... and you should be set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:41 pm 

Thanks MBazzy. That looks like it might be exactly what I need, I just wonder how well it will be able to interpret tempos in rock music...
One interesting thing the reviewer wrote:
"Although similar bpm-calculation facilities have been included as part of some higher-end computer-based MIDI + Audio sequencer packages for a while"

What software is he talking about? Anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:38 pm 
must warn you tho... the voyager one by red sound is a piece of junk... it always sent a off midi signal to my midi gear, even after the chip upgrade...

most audio to midi time clocks dont work perfectly and stray after a few minutes of play, my suggestion is let the live band players sync to you, at least thats what i do

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:27 am 

I've also tried the red sound voyager for a while with a drummer : this thing is quite unpredictable : sometimes it is better for detecting a tempo in a rather crowdy and polyrythmic pattern by ronald shannon jackson, other times, it won't get a breakbeat tempo because it's a bit syncopated. Forget about it ! In live, you can assign a kbd key to the tap function. You should try this instead.