Holy Touch Screen Batman!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jackmazzotti

Re: lemur

Post by jackmazzotti » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Benshik wrote:
amorat wrote: yes there are weak things about the lemur: it's very graphical oriented... and music isn't very graphical :roll:.
this statement is very surprising.
what do you mean by music isnt "graphical"? For me, sounds cannot be dissociated from shapes and colours.
and for that matter, i think the lemur's shapes and colours are way more appropriate than bland knobs and faders.

Ben
music always takes on shapes and colors in my mind
I can't help it
its just there

The father of the avant garde Oliver Messiaen wrote about this many times and describes his music in colors as well

cashman

Post by cashman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:41 pm

jackmazzotti wrote:
Benshik wrote:
amorat wrote: yes there are weak things about the lemur: it's very graphical oriented... and music isn't very graphical :roll:.
this statement is very surprising.
what do you mean by music isnt "graphical"? For me, sounds cannot be dissociated from shapes and colours.
and for that matter, i think the lemur's shapes and colours are way more appropriate than bland knobs and faders.

Ben
music always takes on shapes and colors in my mind
I can't help it
its just there

The father of the avant garde Oliver Messiaen wrote about this many times and describes his music in colors as well
Certainly, but I think the discussion is more to do with the realisation of musical ideas which, rather than being created by (or creating) shapes and colours, is more more often than not, caused by the action of one's body upon an object, in this case - fingers turning a knob, although they might just as well be fretting a string or pressing a key.

<conciliatory answer>
Of course, if the end result is what you had intended (or wasn't really, but sounds good anyway!) it doesn't matter if you need the physical 'feel' of a dial or if you prefer a software one (on an amazing piece of kit!) to obtain it.
</conciliatory answer>
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:28 am

Machinate wrote:
hambone1 wrote:Nah... the Monome doesn't seem to do much more that an LX2.
hehe, what you don't know...

The monome is amazingly powerful in the right hands.
Mmm. I wants one.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:02 pm

cashman wrote:[Certainly, but I think the discussion is more to do with the realisation of musical ideas which, rather than being created by (or creating) shapes and colours, is more more often than not, caused by the action of one's body upon an object, in this case - fingers turning a knob, although they might just as well be fretting a string or pressing a key.

<conciliatory answer>
Of course, if the end result is what you had intended (or wasn't really, but sounds good anyway!) it doesn't matter if you need the physical 'feel' of a dial or if you prefer a software one (on an amazing piece of kit!) to obtain it.
</conciliatory answer>
as you rightly said, we are not discussing the end result but how a musician feels towards an instrument... for those inspired by colours, using an instrument like the lemur can enhance their music-making experience...

for those interested, here's a link about synaesthesia, "a neurological condition in which two or more bodily senses are interconnected" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia