Scratching Digital Audio IN LIVE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Scratching Digital Audio IN LIVE!

Post by Patch » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am

Czech this isht out:

http://www.mspinky.com/WreckedSystem_Pluggo.html

This runs AS A VST within Live!!! This means you can now scratch digital audio files (cue recording your own name through a mic and scratchin' the hell out of it!), and add a whole bunch of effects after the scratch.

Fun, fun, fun!!!

Has anybody tried it yet? Ms. Pinky has been about for a while, but I think it's the first Digital Scratch platform to come with as a VST. (Can anyone confirm or deny hat this is true? Does FS or SSL have VST functionality?)

And it looks like excellent value for money... MUCH, much cheaperthan FS or SSL.

For more info go and check out the ALDJ forums...

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 am

I have serato and im not sure it works with ableton. Do you know if this mr pinky thing is anything like serato. If it is and it can run in live that going to open up a whole new dimension for my music. I use live as a looping tool and have another comp running serato. If i can do both on one comp taht would be insane..
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:09 am

it drives me crazy that people are still trying to scratch without records. just sayin... no offense intended.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 am

So all that's needed to use a turntable as a MIDI controller are the VST/AU plug-in, the Ms Pinky vinyl and a phono preamp into the soundcard?

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:11 am

I know. I'm very excited about it. I'm hoping to get some feedback from people that have used it alongside live or any other host.

I think the most important element of the the Ms. Pinky system is the ability to use it as a VST.

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:12 am

Johnisfaster wrote:it drives me crazy that people are still trying to scratch without records. just sayin... no offense intended.
Yeah, scrating without vinyl... you might aswell be writing automation curves for playback speed :-/

If you going to scratch, do it the right way.

BTW the pluggo thing is only good if you want to scratch. I personally use FS to mix, with the occasional scratch here and there.
Last edited by djsentinel on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:15 am

If you can simply assign the plug-in a CC number in Live, a record player becomes a giant MIDI knob!

IMO, it's a visual masturbation thing, really, for those who want to be watched. More interesting than watching someone just mousing around and pushing keys on a laptop, I guess.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:22 am

djsentinel wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:it drives me crazy that people are still trying to scratch without records. just sayin... no offense intended.
Yeah, scrating without vinyl... you might aswell be writing automation curves for playback speed :-/

If you going to scratch, do it the right way.

BTW the pluggo thing is only good if you want to scratch. I personally use FS to mix, with the occasional scratch here and there.
1 - I'm tired of replacing crossfaders (my current problem)
2 - Turntables are heavy
3 - Vinyl is heavy
4 - It's expensive to press your own (poor quality) vinyl and it takes a long time

Scratch your own stuff on the spot, with no skips or pops, very cool.

Beat juggling and the fine art of wax abuse will always be around, it's just too much fun, but just having a USB powered midi pseudo-crossfader into a plug in would be tons of very portable fun.

Sadly, with this one you still need a turntable. I'll wait.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:25 am

it drives me crazy that people are still trying to scratch without records. just sayin... no offense intended.
Couldn't agree more, mate. But Ms. Pinky IS vinyl. The whole point is that you are able to scratch your own material. How about pulling dialogue from a movie and scratching that? For years I've wanted to scratch Darth Vader breathing...

I'm HEAVILY into scratchin - and if the latency on this thing makes it any different to conventional scratching, I'll never speak of it again.

But if it doesn't......... 8O :D 8O

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:13 am

djsentinel wrote:Yeah, scrating without vinyl... you might aswell be writing automation curves for playback speed :-/
You can scratch with tape, too :wink:

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:32 am

You can scratch with tape, too :wink:
Whoa - Nokatus!!! How old are YOU?

Ah - remember Lesson One by Double & Steinski????

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:04 am

Patch wrote:
Couldn't agree more, mate. But Ms. Pinky IS vinyl. The whole point is that you are able to scratch your own material. How about pulling dialogue from a movie and scratching that? For years I've wanted to scratch Darth Vader breathing...

I'm HEAVILY into scratchin - and if the latency on this thing makes it any different to conventional scratching, I'll never speak of it again.

But if it doesn't......... 8O :D 8O
Yeah latency is an issue before i bought serato scratch i tried traktor and final scratch. Both had some latency issues, i would flare and suddenly stop then i would hear the final cut like half a second later. Nothing will ever fully replace vinyl, and if your a battle dj you can only use strait up vinyl in official competitions. I have used serato and i recomend it above all else! There is no LATENCY, I REPEAT NO LATENCY. I have scratched very fast on it and had other people try it out and they agreed there is no AUDIBLE latency what so ever. I find this pinky thing interesting if i can use it like i use serato whithin ableton, then i have live looping just with ableton. so many possibilities!!!!! Imagine sampling loops from within ableton u just created by scratching!!!

For the record:cd turntables can suck my ass!!
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:51 am

Whoa - Nokatus!!! How old are YOU?

Ah - remember Lesson One by Double & Steinski????

Probably not as old as I (or Steinski for that matter) ':lol:'

p.s. I hope he's not reading this post....
Doug

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 am

Serato is nice, but I really think that Torq is the future.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=3257
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:58 am

I think this looks great, but my only concern is figuring out how to get the crossfader action recorded in the scratching. If it's a plug-in in live, that might be useless, because it would only record sample playback direction/speed. But for scratching, you need crossfader crabbing etc.

So I guess in live you'd have to have the plug-in go out from your i/o, in my case my presonus firebox, back to my mixer, and then back to my firebox inputs again into live on another track? That would add significant latency. Or can the special timecode vinyl go through the mixer first, indicating where the sound should cut off by where the timecode doesn't communicate, and sends silence?

Do you guys get what I'm saying?
Most of these digital vinyl scratching come with their own i/o device like ssl or torq., but this doesn't, so I'm trying to figure it out....
I'm going to get either the new m-audio torq or this, just for scratching. can't decide.
grb
Professional Shark Jumper.