Itunes Software Degrades Sound Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:12 am

Quandry ...
Someone said that the ipod gets the settings from itunes, so if u have that set up fine it should use the same preferences to set your ipod. I don't know for sure but incase you should also check inside your ipod prefs for the volume limiting setting. I am sure there is something there to protect your hearing and maybe you can turn it off.
Sorry I don't know for sure.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

rtopia

Re: Itunes Software Degrades Sound Quality

Post by rtopia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 am

Robert Henke wrote:I recently came back from a CD mastering session at a professional studio.
does this mean we're getting a new monolake CD anytime soon?

- r

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:28 am

Ok quandry I found this on apple support... I hope it solves your problems.
To remove the maximum volume limit:
1 If you are currently listening to your iPod, press Pause.
2 Choose Settings > Volume Limit.
3 If you set a combination, enter it by using the Click Wheel to select the numbers and pressing the Center button to confirm them.
4 Use the Click Wheel to move the volume limit to the maximum level on the volume bar.
This removes any restriction on volume.
5 Press the Center button to accept the change.

And I can also confirm that soundcheck is only enabled on ipod if its enabled in itunes (You can turn it on in the ipod but it will have no effect)
Plus Eq settings can be set in the ipod but again if theres eq on the tracks in itunes, the ipod will automatically enable it on a per song basis in ipod.
Cool.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:31 am

kineticUk wrote:Ok quandry I found this on apple support... I hope it solves your problems.
To remove the maximum volume limit:
1 If you are currently listening to your iPod, press Pause.
2 Choose Settings > Volume Limit.
3 If you set a combination, enter it by using the Click Wheel to select the numbers and pressing the Center button to confirm them.
4 Use the Click Wheel to move the volume limit to the maximum level on the volume bar.
This removes any restriction on volume.
5 Press the Center button to accept the change.

And I can also confirm that soundcheck is only enabled on ipod if its enabled in itunes (You can turn it on in the ipod but it will have no effect)
Plus Eq settings can be set in the ipod but again if theres eq on the tracks in itunes, the ipod will automatically enable it on a per song basis in ipod.
Cool.
thanks bro!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:39 am

You peeps seen this:-

Its still in Beta on the Mac but shows promise:-

http://www.songbirdnest.com/
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:58 am

djadonis206 wrote:
But ah, speaking of - I uploaded a couple tracks me and Roman are working on on my www.soundclick.com/djadonis206 page

Magnitute and Wired

I completely forgot about that page - some music on there I haven't heard in days <---> Myspace player sucks

but I think we got some decent results out of the Itunes player
Ah Adonis - never miss a chance for shameless self promotion

wickd toonz though!

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:19 am

well, I personally really like itunes and its great ability to help organize all my thousands of tracks by tag data - I've never had a problem with the sound, you just need to know the right settings (kind've how people say live's sound sucks cause they don't know how to warp right). For really weak mp3's, Octiv's Volume Logic gives great multiband compression which just makes a lot of sources sound great...I think alot of people don't like itunes because you have to do things how the program wants you too - but if you can get past that and work with it's internal logic, itunes can be a very useful and powerful music app - but there will always be rebels who want to find their own solution...

My 2 cents

Orion
Can you hear it?

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:04 am

Hardtoe wrote:I think alot of people don't like itunes because you have to do things how the program wants you to
And that's why there are other programs out there. And some of them are even for free like iTunes.

I like iTunes a lot. I listen to music much more often since I started using it. :D
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 pm

TheAnimal wrote:
Hardtoe wrote:I think alot of people don't like itunes because you have to do things how the program wants you to
And that's why there are other programs out there. And some of them are even for free like iTunes.

I like iTunes a lot. I listen to music much more often since I started using it. :D
Use scripts, and you can do everything you want: http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/