Itunes Software Degrades Sound Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm

jeskola wrote:i believe ipods do this too, and you cant turn it off!!
coupled with the crap tinny earphones, no wonder people are worried about their ears! There will be a massive increase in people with hearing problems in the future
your ipod will use the eq/prefs from the itunes that you sync it to.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Robert Henke wrote: "logic audio engine technology" ??? this sounds like complete marketing bullshit to me. Read out the content of the CD, provide standard error correction as in every CD player since 20 years and pipe the audio thru to the soundcard. That`s the job. Cannot see why this needs Logic in b/g.

Robert
iTunes uses QUICKTIME.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 pm

funny thing is that it makes mp3s sound pretty rough too when played on anything resembling a decent set of speakers. you turn it off and even the most compressed file sound way better. talk about 'enhancing'.

in fairness I didn't find the option too buried down the menus but it did strike me as odd how shit it sounded...and that it was on by default. it does add punch to the sound when listening with the in built powerbook speakers

ah well.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:30 pm

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.

iTunes = Worst Media Player, Ever.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:57 pm

subterFUSE wrote:I have said it before, and I'll say it again.

Is there a good alternative for OS X?

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm

i think it's a decent player, except for the 'enhancer', plays 16bit, 24 bit... converts to aicc, mp3, and the layout is very clear. and you can watch dirty video podcasts with it. tits and beats, sweet.

udp

Post by udp » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:23 pm

gomi wrote:
jeskola wrote:i believe ipods do this too, and you cant turn it off!!
coupled with the crap tinny earphones, no wonder people are worried about their ears! There will be a massive increase in people with hearing problems in the future
your ipod will use the eq/prefs from the itunes that you sync it to.
I've always wondered why my nano, when hooked up to the same system at work as my employees ipods, (you know we take to to accomodate tastes) sounds quieter, but clearer. Now I've looked and indeed I have the sound enhancer off. Must be they don't.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:06 pm

man, I have numerous files that sound crap in I-tunes (sound-enhancer off as always)
all kind of strange distortions going on, having trouble with extreme high frequencies, etcetera; which al play out perfect on quicktime...

there is no reason to be found

I agree, I tunes is not to be trusted in an proffesional audio kinda way.
It's just so easy in use...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:14 pm

at first i was very confused that you had used itunes to burn a CD at your mastering session.

then realized that this was happening to the CD playback - i see

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:14 pm

FORMAT wrote:
subterFUSE wrote:I have said it before, and I'll say it again.

Is there a good alternative for OS X?
Yeah, I'd be interested to know this, too. I don't mind iTunes so much, but it really bugs me how every release, more marketing shit gets added in and the program just generally gets more bloated. Winamp is what it's all about... shame it's never been ported to the unix world, or that it's no longer being actively developed. =/

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Yeah, it's good idea to stay away from any kind of sound enhancers - I don't even use the bass boost or eq's in my Ipod or car stereo (or even home stereo)

Try to keep my whole world as flat - agreed the Sonic Enhancer in Itunes is not the best for "Sonic Enhancing"

A lot of people don't know this so it's good to post this kind of stuff from time to time

You write a jam in Ableton, you're all super pumped and you put it in Itunes to listen to and burn your CD - you think it's all crackin' (but don't know the "sonic enhancer" is on - you play your frsit tune ever made for your homie in the car later that night outside the club.

he turns to you and goes - "Dude, that sounds aweful" <--- been there
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:22 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Yeah, it's good idea to stay away from any kind of sound enhancers - I don't even use the bass boost or eq's in my Ipod or car stereo (or even home stereo)

Try to keep my whole world as flat - agreed the Sonic Enhancer in Itunes is not the best for "Sonic Enhancing"

A lot of people don't know this so it's good to post this kind of stuff from time to time

You write a jam in Ableton, you're all super pumped and you put it in Itunes to listen to and burn your CD - you think it's all crackin' (but don't know the "sonic enhancer" is on - you play your frsit tune ever made for your homie in the car later that night outside the club.

he turns to you and goes - "Dude, that sounds aweful" <--- been there
But ah, speaking of - I uploaded a couple tracks me and Roman are working on on my www.soundclick.com/djadonis206 page

Magnitute and Wired

I completely forgot about that page - some music on there I haven't heard in days <---> Myspace player sucks

but I think we got some decent results out of the Itunes player
Ableton | Elektron

Music

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:38 pm

i've personally never noticed itunes sounding like crap (I always have the EQ and 'enhancer' off), but anything you upload to myspace will sound like crap! My drummer kept saying this, and we didn't believe him, but I uploaded a song to my personal myspace page recently and was astounded by how bad it sounded. Even the mp3 on my computer sounded much closer to the pre-rendered output in Live than on myspace.

stinky

Post by stinky » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:33 pm

man, I have numerous files that sound crap in I-tunes (sound-enhancer off as always)
all kind of strange distortions going on, having trouble with extreme high frequencies, etcetera; which al play out perfect on quicktime...
Yeah, i think it's pretty funny that whenever you have a thread on the forum about how to convert your render to mp3, everyone always says, "Use Itunes"

Doh...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:47 pm

wait, is there something wrong with how itunes converts to mp3 or aac?

i thought this was just about the stupid "sound enhancer" function. BTW, i didn't find it to be too buried in the menus either, had mine turned off from jump.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o