All times are UTC

Post subject: Need a soudcard with multiple stereo outs for cueing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:15 am 
Right, I've only had a very quick fiddle with a copy of live but I'm about to buy it along with a laptop and soundcard.

I assume that I need a soundcard with multiple stereo outs so that i can audition loops in my headhones with one pair of outs before dropping them in the mix (i.e out of the master outs).

I was looking at the m-audio audiophile usb but this only has one pair of outs. Can anyone suggest a suitable audiocard in a similar price range (heard bad reports about m-audio quattro).

........ Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? Maybe you can't audition samples through a different channel with live, maybe you have to do it all "live" so to speak... ahem

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:02 pm 
Kind of answered my own question with this one... Yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:02 pm 
Still like to know which ones are reccommended though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:27 pm 
Check out this reply to the same question:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4268

If you are getting a laptop I really recommend the echo indigoDJ. The main outs are seperate from the headphone outs so you CAN pre-listen on the head phones while the mains are playing your clips/tracks.

(and yes, you can assign the pre-listen seperate from the main within Live)

Hope this helps.

Post subject: don't get indigo, you need an input, and more outs are cool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:02 am 
I have an emi 2/6 and it seems to run fine, it was £257UKpounds, but it has 6 outs - I preferred the m-audio duo as a unit but it only has two outs which doesn't help.

I personally would recommend getting one with inputs (not an Indigo) as one of the best things about live is the ability to record on the fly - like if you're mixing two or more records and get a nice mix, record a few bars of it, loop it on pre-listen, then bring it into the mix and start tweeking! Then you can start plugging in mics, or other instruments/modules etc and messing about with them - Hours of fun -

using an indigo for live is like using half it's capabilities, they're meant for things like traktor, and yes don't get a quattro, you may as well plug your laptop into a packet of fags and send a few complaint emails to people who don't care and won't reply.