thomas york's new cd(radiohead)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
john gordon

thomas york's new cd(radiohead)

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:49 pm

i heard it was made pretty much in a laptop.sounds pretty good though.im glad artists like him are embracing technology with knew sounds and beats.thank god he didnt do any house or trance.those two genres of electronic music are beaten down like a dead horse and need to die. :wink:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:57 pm

I thought it all had a quality sound to it (which isn't all that impressive considering they can afford the best studio technitions in the world when they want to) but I didn't think any of the songs were all that impressive. pretty good yeah, but if you forget about the fact that it's thom yorke and just listen to it as if it was someone on garageband.com then it just seems a little blande to me. better than some stuff out there. but not worthy of the mass amounts of props it's getting.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 pm

to be honest with you thats what i liked about it.there are no hits on it thats for sure and its just pretty basic stuff.i didnt realise that it was getting that good of reviews

marky

Post by marky » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 pm

I bought it, played it for 7 minutes and put it straight off again. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. I love most of their other stuff though.. I should give it another go.

But it didn't sound a whole lot different to the sound of Kid A or Amnesiac. Interesting stuff, just not doing it for me right now.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

even

Post by even » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:33 pm

it's lovely if a bit too melancholic

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:34 pm

I liked it - particularly after a few listens. I like the fact that it has a pretty rough finish, production wise - sounds like a modern version of a four track. Nice that the vocals are not totally in yer FACE, mix wise........and some of the song ideas are pretty good, For my ears it is more of the stuff that I have enjoyed on the last Radiohead cds.....meaning I think his voice and the textures are more interesting than what rest of the band do....

2 cents opinion only.. :)

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I thought it all had a quality sound to it (which isn't all that impressive considering they can afford the best studio technitions in the world when they want to) but I didn't think any of the songs were all that impressive. pretty good yeah, but if you forget about the fact that it's thom yorke and just listen to it as if it was someone on garageband.com then it just seems a little blande to me. better than some stuff out there. but not worthy of the mass amounts of props it's getting.
perfectly put -

gregorythis

Post by gregorythis » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 pm

i was actually about to make a post about this.. i really dig it.
just a nice smooth album.
deff nothing amazing though

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:13 pm

I'm really liking it, to be honest more than I've liked some of Radioheads recent material. All the songs are pretty concise and melodic. As for it being made on a laptop... maybe it was until Nigel Godrich turned up.
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:14 pm

i wonder if any of it was made in ableton.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:27 pm

think it's alright, but definitely lacking whatever extra texture and energy the rest of the band can bring to songs (while similar to kid A, amnesiac, etc., i don't like it as much). i keep waiting for songs to shift into the next gear, but they don't. as for the vox, i find them to be far more present than in radiohead records, because they're far more dry. still, better than most new music available.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm

i dig the album. it took a little while to grow on me but overall, it's better than most of what i've been hearing.
i remember reading that he took snippets of stuff that he was working on from the kid a era and i know he was messing with Cubase at the time. Being that Nigel uses Pro Tools, I'd imagine that he used that mainly. who knows, though.
Until he discusses his rig it's all speculation.
I'm surprised the people who can claim to hear a difference between Pro Tools and every other DAW aren't chiming in to claim it has "that pro-tools sheen" or something like that! whatever. I use Live and that's all that matters to me!
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

ilia

Post by ilia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 pm

ultrasource wrote:i dig the album. it took a little while to grow on me but overall, it's better than most of what i've been hearing.
It really grew on me after 50 listens or so... :wink:
Another artist probably wouldn't have gotten the same consideration, but hey, such is life. There are a lot of beautiful moments on it and the whole thing is a coherent work (unlike, say, Hail To The Thief).

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 am

hey,

i like it, because i like the innovative work of thom yorke and radiohead - the album sounds pretty much like radiohead, actually.

but the use of electronic sounds and devices didn't convince me yet and, to be true, is quite boring...he schould have done it better.

i love the music and baublery with sounds of french artist emilie simon. compared to mr. yorke she is still unmatched.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:09 am

someone mentioned above about how they were always waiting for the song to kick into second gear. thats how I felt. the song starts off with a good solid idea and then his voice comes in which is nice and then you're just waiting for it to do something and it never does anything.

after the song is over I'm thinking to myself "well... he had the right idea... but he didn't take it anywhere"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.