Live 6 questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mountainstorm

Live 6 questions

Post by mountainstorm » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:54 am

Ive got a couple of questions on live 6 ....

1: Will it support multiple sound cards?
2: Will I get a free upgrade of my 'lite' version (Ive got the m-audio bundled verison of 5.2.1 'lite' was version 4 when I brought it)
3: Will it fully support Tranzport?

As for Live 5.2.1 theres a comment in the changelog that says it supports Tranzport, is that full support i.e. level meters, track names, playback time etc?

A final note, is there an upgrade package from the 'lite' version which just gives me more than 4 channels, whilst Lives a great program I dont need all the fancy features ... I can even live with 4 VST's, but 4 channels is poor. I dont really want to spend > £200 just to get that feature ... I can buy Cubase SE for £99!

Just my thoughts

Rich

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi and Welcome!

1: Wouldn't that rather be on behalf of the audio drivers than on Live itself?

2: They've been kind enough before to provide Lite versions "for free". And the Abletons come across as pretty consistent.

3: Fully? I don't know. But as you say yourself. It's mentioned in the features list.

Final note: As far as I know. There's nothing inbetween the Lite version and the full version. If you like the program so much. Wouldn't it feel nice to support the developers? I mean the upgrade price from Lite to full is a pretty sweet deal. That's how I got in... :wink: (back in version 3).

Regards,
Mikael

mountainstorm

Post by mountainstorm » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:44 pm

1: I dont think so ... my understanding is its upto the software to support this .. theres a thing about it in the live FAQ

What I want is to be able to use the soundcard built into the PC to talk to my wife in the next room. Shes using a usb soundcard in the room with her to get monitoring/playback and encode her audio. But I on the computer cant hear what she sounds like until were finished and I playback by changing the audio device. this is slow to do, and generally involves shouting, which can cause arguments.

2: Thats what I thought, but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

As for the upgrade price, its ~£170 .. with Cubase SL (not the cheap one) at £200 and SE at £99 Ive got to consider them. If there was a partial upgrade for ~£40 that just gave me 64 tracks I could just spend that without thinking :)

Rich

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:51 pm

mountainstorm wrote:As for the upgrade price, its ~£170 .. with Cubase SL (not the cheap one) at £200 and SE at £99 Ive got to consider them. If there was a partial upgrade for ~£40 that just gave me 64 tracks I could just spend that without thinking :)
I see what you're saying. But on the other hand - Cubase is no fun! :wink: Even if it can probably do a lot of usefull stuff. I haven't been on it since VST5.

Regards,
Mikael

ikke

Post by ikke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:58 pm

question: can you drop vst(i)s into a rack and save it as a preset? unlike the device group otion currently where we only can merge ableton plugins, not vsts :(

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

ikke wrote:question: can you drop vst(i)s into a rack and save it as a preset? unlike the device group otion currently where we only can merge ableton plugins, not vsts :(
That's what I've heard.

/M

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:08 pm

mountainstorm wrote: What I want is to be able to use the soundcard built into the PC to talk to my wife in the next room.
Hey. I think Live 6 actually has a "wife chat" feature as standard. :D

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:18 pm

reg. multiple soundcards: look into asio4all for pc (asio4all.com) and aggregate devices for mac(that part is built into osx)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:19 pm

OSX users have been able to run multiple soundcards with any audio application since 10.4.0 via aggregate devices.

I've been running Live 5 with 3 metric halo interfaces for the last 4 months.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm

damn you andreas!

mountainstorm

Post by mountainstorm » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Well that looked like it was going to work, on your advice I got ASIO4ALL, selected both my sound cards and bingo .... multiple outputs and inputs, just what i wanted. Now only two problems the 'lite' version I have only lets me use 1 stereo input and 1 stereo output ... and I need a spare track to add my control room mic on :(

Mabe I'll look at the full version, and Cubase, and SONAR :(

Cheers for your help though peeps

Rich

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:06 pm

If you want to keep the USB interface where it currently is and simply want to monitor the session with minimal additions to the setup, I'd suggest running the audio from the monitoring outputs of the interface back to you via regular audio leads, then using that signal to monitor the session on the fly. I might be missing something but it sounds like you're doing it more complicated than actually necessary.

ikke

Post by ikke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
ikke wrote:question: can you drop vst(i)s into a rack and save it as a preset? unlike the device group otion currently where we only can merge ableton plugins, not vsts :(
That's what I've heard.

/M
Can someone confirm this? :D :D
you can save multiple third party plugs into one file with Chainer but it would be great to do it all within Live 6

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 pm

all the hoopla about racks wouldnt be much without vst support.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 pm

ikke wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
That's what I've heard.

/M
Can someone confirm this?
You can.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.